Big tires?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/2/2013 2:13 PM

What do you guys think of big tires? I run an Animal TWW in the back and Animal MTT in the front and I love them, so that shows that I like big tires. Both of my tires are really grippy and they haven't worn much at all. I ride street, dirt, and a little bit of park and it seems like these tires work for it all. What do you guys think of my set up? What's your set up and do you like big tires?

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

8/2/2013 2:27 PM

I've run a 2.25" in the front and a 2.10" in the back since I started riding. Been riding a 2.25" Aitken in the front and a 2.1" Revenge Industries Folding in the rear. Switching to a 2.25" Machete in the front soon, which is just a bit wider and taller than the Aitken. So in theory it will reduce my headtube angle, which was kinda my goal. But I don't like really wide tires because I switch between front and rear brakes, sometimes both, so I want a lot of clearance for them.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/2/2013 2:48 PM

I have 2.25" & 1.90" right now. I'm hoping to run duel 2.4" Tyres. I think think it will be a little weird to start off with but they will be slicks so they should roll well. On the Freecoaster Bike that should be built around Xmas/New Year i am either going to run Eclat Ridgestone 2.3" Slick Tyres which fits in with my build plan ooooooor.... I cant help thinking about being Uber Trendy & getting the 2.35" Gum Top Cult Tyres. They inflate to nearly 2.5"! They do look awesome, but i don't know if i can cope with the Trendiness lol.

|

8/2/2013 2:48 PM

im not a fan, rode the 2.35 momentum on the front and a 2.2 rear and my spins slowed down alot, i struggled pumping as hard and it just felt really cumbersome in general due to the sheer sie of the thing and the added rotating weight doesnt help either, the only thing i liked was the feeling on drops. i think anything over about 2.25 is exessive if im honest

|

8/2/2013 2:52 PM

2.20 Front

2.190 back

Best set up ever

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

8/2/2013 3:02 PM

I have 2.35 Front and rear, I pretty much only ride vert and park, so fat tyres work for that. I wouldn't go above around 2.2 or so for dirt. Don't take my word for it though, I'm still a newbie at trails.

|

8/2/2013 3:06 PM

2.15 up front and 2.0 in the rear......I'm going smaller next time......my Ruben dirt tires oddly look bigger then this kid I knows 2.4 odyssey tires

|

8/2/2013 3:07 PM

It took some getting used to but I really like my 2.35 mtt both front & rear, but my other bike has alianation graffiti 2.2 front & rear and I like them too, depends what terrain & style of riding I'm doing as to which I prefer tho.

Topsey I'd say get them cult tires they look really good, as long as your getting em for the right reasons (which I know you would be as your no trend whore) then I say go for it, it's always good to try out new things, you'll never know else, can't believe they inflate to that tho, 2.5 is fookin huge.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/2/2013 3:15 PM

Mr. Rastaman check out this link & look at the inflation widths at the bottom. 2.42" !!
http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/444070/Cult_Dehart_Tire_(Chase_Dehart).html

|

8/2/2013 5:32 PM

Topsey wrote:

Mr. Rastaman check out this link & look at the inflation widths at the bottom. 2.42" !!
http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/444070/Cult_Dehart_Tire_(Chase_Dehart).html

Dayuum! That's sooo big, I love fat tires. Would consider getting some but I think I'd have to wait a good while before the tread on the mtt are done with.

Go for it dude, and if you do let us know how you get on with em, those gum walls look so good in a black bike.
Sweet.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/2/2013 5:36 PM

I can't stand big tires they look and feel like shit. 2.25 is a big as I need.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/2/2013 6:01 PM

I just ride whatever leftovers I get from friends

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

8/2/2013 8:08 PM

I ride 2.25 and 2.2 lol and it is perfect. I like a super large front, but this makes carving nice. I may end up getting the Cult Gum tires just like Topsey cuz i have a serious fetish for super squeaky tires.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/2/2013 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2013 9:36 PM

I'm not a fan of big tires, they don't actually make you grip a whole lot better + they just slow you down when grinding by rubbing on the rail/ledge. I run 2.10 front and back and it's so good, I get no tire rub when grinding! Don't see myself going back to anything fatter than 2.10 anymore.

|

8/2/2013 10:21 PM

Topsey wrote:

I wouldnt trust that, what dans has listed for the Ruben Rampera tires is no where near the size of what I have. They are much smaller. I dont know if the tanwalls inflate differently from the black version due to the difference in casing but I was highly disappointed. Have 2 brand new 2.35 sitting in my closet.

I just picked up the Machete, Im very pleased in the 2.35. Hopefully once riding itll stretch a little bit. Ive been riding Premium Refuse Resists tires for years now. I wanted something of that size but just a little bit smaller so it would fit in forks without problems...These may be the ones! I cant run smaller tires in front, feels off...Ive tried and no luck.

I used to ride same size in the front / rear, Now Ill do the biggest I can find it front and about a 2.20 rear. The smaller diameter feels less of a drag when pedaling and spinning.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/3/2013 3:19 AM

I just stick to 2.1

|

Gravity sucks

8/3/2013 12:09 PM

2.25 fafs front and back. I'll probably get glhs for my next tire

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/3/2013 12:38 PM

I like big tires because the feel better for drops

|

text me for faster response 7742720929.

Refs- bmxscout48, easternbikes28, DontDELETEmePLEASEandTHANKyou, Mybike1986, Funky chicken

8/3/2013 3:55 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've run a 2.25" in the front and a 2.10" in the back since I started riding. Been riding a 2.25" Aitken in the front and a 2.1" Revenge Industries Folding in the rear. Switching to a 2.25" Machete in the front soon, which is just a bit wider and taller than the Aitken. So in theory it will reduce my headtube angle, which was kinda my goal. But I don't like really wide tires because I switch between front and rear brakes, sometimes both, so I want a lot of clearance for them.

That is the EXACT same set up I have. Love it.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/29/2016 11:09 AM

Not that I think they'd be good for BMX . . . . but it's worth noting that Specialized came out with 20 X 2.8" tires for kids mtb.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/11/17/specialized-unveils-first-full-range-of-plus-size-bikes-for-kids-with-riprock-20-and-24/
|

2/29/2016 11:34 AM

cmc wrote:
Not that I think they'd be good for BMX . . . . but it's worth noting that Specialized came out with 20 X 2.8" tires for kids mtb.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/11/17/specialized-unveils-first-full-range-of-plus-size-bikes-for-kids-with-riprock-20-and-24/

Firstly, SUPER old thread.

Secondly, you would need a frame and fork custom made for those to fit, and that would include a special crankset, and likely a special rear hub...and you might need to offset the fork too, or develop a wider front hub too.

At this point, they likely wouldn't work too well for a lot of BMX, at least as far as frame, fork, and rear hub (mainly for the spacing to have a lined up drivetrain)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura