Bike Corner and What You Do?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/6/2012 9:52 PM

I was just wondering... What do you guys do when you're expecting parts? No matter what it is, grips or tires even, I take my whole bike apart, clean out the driver, grease up the bearings, make sure every thing is clean, grease up headset, bottom bracket, and pretty much everything else, true my wheels, etc... I do this because every time I get a new part, I want my bike to feel perfect. What do you guys do?

Also, I was jut working on my bikes and I was looking at it once I was done, and it made me think, what does your "Bike Corner" look like? I have a corner in my basement, where all my tools are, where I do all the work on my bike and keep all my broken and extra parts, excluding some trophy parts that I hung on my wall in my room. This is mine, but let's see yours! I bet there's some cool ones out here by people that have been around BMX longer than I've been alive... *COUGH COUGH* BLOGHOGS* COUGH*

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

11/6/2012 9:55 PM

I hate waiting on parts. Currently I'm waiting on my forks to be sent back from warranty and my new stem to arrive at the shop, but I'm riding a spare pair of forks so I can at least ride still.

as for my corner, I'll post pics of it in a little bit after I get a shower.

|

11/6/2012 9:58 PM

I kinda just throw my tools back into the box and have it unorganized, because when it is unorganized for some reason i dont have problems finding the tool i need, if i organize it i have to think where'd i put that shit again, oh yeah, im wasting time, haha

|

11/6/2012 9:59 PM

SEANimal757 wrote:

I kinda just throw my tools back into the box and have it unorganized, because when it is unorganized for some reason i dont have problems finding the tool i need, if i organize it i have to think where'd i put that shit again, oh yeah, im wasting time, haha

Haha I lost so many tools because of that. I used to just throw them wherever, but ever since I worked at a shop, I keep all my tools in a nice toolbox I got, unless I'm rocking a 6mm in my pocket or a 17mm in the back of the truck.

|

11/6/2012 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2012 10:01 PM

SEANimal757 wrote:

Skooter wrote:

Haha I lost so many tools because of that. I used to just throw them wherever, but ever since I worked at a shop, I keep all my tools in a nice toolbox I got, unless I'm rocking a 6mm in my pocket or a 17mm in the back of the truck.

I kinda just clear out one drawer and throw everything I need in that one, I only need my 3 way, third hand, and the ocasional socket wrench, and pedal wrench of course.

|

11/6/2012 10:01 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I hate waiting on parts. Currently I'm waiting on my forks to be sent back from warranty and my new stem to arrive at the shop, but I'm riding a spare pair of forks so I can at least ride still.

Yeah pretty much nobody likes waiting... I'm currently waiting on tires and a seat, which is no big deal, but my old tires were roached out. What forks did you warranty?

|

11/6/2012 10:04 PM

I just have all the tools you need to take a bike apart inside a plastic Aldi bag. Don't really have a bike corner, most of the maintenance happens on the go when I'm out riding.

|

11/6/2012 10:06 PM

i have a bmx closet. its kinda empty right now. waiting on my tires and my bike will be officially rebuilt. they should be in tomorrow or thursday. cannot wait.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/6/2012 10:07 PM

brianoob wrote:

I just have all the tools you need to take a bike apart inside a plastic Aldi bag. Don't really have a bike corner, most of the maintenance happens on the go when I'm out riding.

I do alot of stuff out riding too, but sometimes I just work on my bike because I like to, and I like to keep it solid. I used to work on my bike once a week and grease everything up and take care of everything.

|

11/6/2012 10:08 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Skooter wrote:

Yeah pretty much nobody likes waiting... I'm currently waiting on tires and a seat, which is no big deal, but my old tires were roached out. What forks did you warranty?

Sunday morning 2.1, second pair I cracked haha

|

11/6/2012 10:08 PM

When my friend's Kink Viridian hub blew out for the second time, he contacted Kink for warranty but they never replied. He got impatient, bought a Mission Stalwart hub and laced it up to his Deviant. Then, Kink replied telling him provide his home address and receipt and shit, and they sent the Kink Viridan II hub within the week. That shit isn't even out yet! He just recently bought another Deviant rim and spoke set to lace up a new wheel, and is trying to sell his older wheel for $80 (not like anyone will buy it for that much).

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/6/2012 10:09 PM

I twiddle my thumbs until they bleed.

No, I seriously do a little tune up just like you mentioned but only where its needed... I haven't taken my bike completely apart in a couple of years.
I have a work bench but I find myself working on my bike wherever I happen to be sitting. Wether it be one of my yards or my room, wherevers comfortable. Don't have any picks of my work bench area atm, plus that shits too cluttered to work around anyway. Seeing your tidy little area, i should probs clean mine up tomarrow. FURKK

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/6/2012 10:12 PM

I check the tracker once a day.
Id snap pics,but I cant get to it due to construction.

|

11/6/2012 10:17 PM

BMXism wrote:

I twiddle my thumbs until they bleed.

No, I seriously do a little tune up just like you mentioned but only where its needed... I haven't taken my bike completely apart in a couple of years.
I have a work bench but I find myself working on my bike wherever I happen to be sitting. Wether it be one of my yards or my room, wherevers comfortable. Don't have any picks of my work bench area atm, plus that shits too cluttered to work around anyway. Seeing your tidy little area, i should probs clean mine up tomarrow. FURKK

It's funny you say it's tidy because this is the cleanest it's been in months! Thank you for noticing! haha

|

11/6/2012 10:19 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Skooter wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Sunday morning 2.1, second pair I cracked haha

Ouch! I personally haven't ridden them but a friend of mine is also on his third pair. Sunday frames and other parts are legit, but personally, I'll stick with pitchforks. Did they crack in the same spot?

|

11/6/2012 10:30 PM

Skooter wrote:

Ouch! I personally haven't ridden them but a friend of mine is also on his third pair. Sunday frames and other parts are legit, but personally, I'll stick with pitchforks. Did they crack in the same spot?

they're really nice forks though, I think my first pair was a faulty weld or something, I had them for only about 9 months before they cracked. my second pair I had for 3 years.

and nope, first pair was along the steerer tube/left leg weld

second pair was.. well, everywhere haha. I noticed a small crack forming at the same spot my first pair cracked, didn't really bother me much. then I noticed a long crack along the inside of the left dropout weld, a smaller one on the outside.. and somehow one in the cutout? haha

pics are uploading of the "workshop"

|

11/6/2012 10:47 PM

all in my room haha.

first we got random bike parts and a whole bike I built for a friend's brother that was suppose to come pick up forever ago

next we have an old pair of forks bolted to a lego block for use as a truing stand.. it works haha, a pump, and in the bottom shelf of a book case I have various old tubes, rags, and pieces of wood to put greasy shit on when working on the bike

here we have on the second level a shoebox with a rubber hammer and a regular hammer, tube of grease, socket set with the less common ones I use still in it, a tool box with the less common tools I use, replacement spokes, my old chain and some random shit

On the third level, I use old tube boxes as storage for stuff like headset spacers, bearings, chain pieces, nuts, bolts, spacers, nipples, et c.
works quite well actually

fourth level I have all the tools I use the most, usually more organized but I don't care. an old pair of pegs I use when I ride switch, some tubes, oil, other things

and finally on the top is random old boxes, spray paint, WD-40, goo-gone and wax

last of the bike shit is my wall of shame, the parts I have broken over the years that haven't been sent back or have no warranty. The handlebars though have been warrantied, I was just allowed to keep them, but they're cracked

|

11/6/2012 10:53 PM

Using tube boxes for something other than tubes is GENIUS. I can't believe I never thought of that. I usually put everything in little baggies, like old bearings, chain pieces, masterlinks, spacers, etc. but that's such a good idea! I like how you have everything organized out. Mine's more like a jumbled mess, but I know where everything is.

|

11/6/2012 10:56 PM

I like boxes like that cause with baggies you gotta root through them more, plus I had a lottt of old tube boxes haha. but that's how the top shelf is for me. all the tools are scattered about but I know exactly where each one is that I need will be at the time

|

11/6/2012 11:09 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]
This is how my bike corner used to look, but I sold my tool box because it took up too much room. It now looks like this:
[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/6/2012 11:14 PM

Where, oh, where did you get that purple Odyssey decal?? :O

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/6/2012 11:17 PM

It was on the frame when I bought it from Nettyspaghetti.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/7/2012 12:42 AM

When parts are coming i'll usually disassemble whatever i need to on my bike so its ready whenever my stuff arrives. The worst though is when your stuff isnt delivered on time and you're left to wait through another day.

As for my bike corner i have a big cabinet in my garage full of all kinds of random bike stuff. I would post a pic but its 3:40 here and im too lazy. Its probably the most unorganized mess of shit. Theres tires,tubes,grips,barends, stems, allen keys, headset spacers, frame, chains, pedals, wrenches etc... I plan on organizing it soon so i dont have to look 20 minutes for a allen key.

|

11/7/2012 9:52 AM

Fad3r wrote:

When parts are coming i'll usually disassemble whatever i need to on my bike so its ready whenever my stuff arrives. The worst though is when your stuff isnt delivered on time and you're left to wait through another day.

As for my bike corner i have a big cabinet in my garage full of all kinds of random bike stuff. I would post a pic but its 3:40 here and im too lazy. Its probably the most unorganized mess of shit. Theres tires,tubes,grips,barends, stems, allen keys, headset spacers, frame, chains, pedals, wrenches etc... I plan on organizing it soon so i dont have to look 20 minutes for a allen key.

Haha I used to keep all my allen wrenches wrapped up in a rubberband. I had like 10 6mm's, 3 8mm's, 4 5mm's, and random assortments of 4's, 3's 2's 2.5's etc. so I'd never be able to find the small ones since the bigger ones would make it impossible!

|

11/7/2012 11:23 AM

Mine is a spare bedroom in my apartment, also doubles as a man cave with tv, ps2, n64, sega genesis, and super ninetndo, our cat room (litter boxes and food), and storage.

My old parts are in a big green tub, I actually had it posted on FB a long time ago as a giveaway to locals, no one came to look. One of these days I am going to go through it and get rid of most of it (lots of old spokes, Freewheels, old junk hubshells, pedals etc)

I am too lazy to post photos, but it is basically a small room with a lot of stuff in it, but my tools are in a locked box, spare parts in a tub in the closet and small tool box, and the other stuff is just kinda in there.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/7/2012 11:43 AM

Tools are in a built in wardrobe in the spare of my P-rents house. I have a little tool box with all the shit i need to build/work on my bike. Im currently waiting on my Custom FBM frame & OSS bars, will be here next week. The biggest dissapointment for me though, im building a whole new bike with the FBM frame, Waiting for parts to come out, saving for them also. Christmas/January time it will be complete though!

|