Bike Shops not Dealing BMX? How to Solve this Problem?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2013 10:31 PM

I went to apply for a job at my Local Bike Shop (LBS) and i always knew they did not deal BMX since about 2005! This is when the skatepark that does not allow bikes was made. They sold TONS of Haros, i actually had one myself! If you ask a kid, they had a type of Backtrail Haro from there! In Wheeling, WV they have their shop and they only deal Mountain and Road bikes. I think this should change. I talked with them and all this stuff and they may end up hiring me. I dont know and i dont care if they do! They are nice, as are most people that have bike shops and i did really well with my interview! Im very qualified for it, i buil wheels (flawlessly, might i add!) and i can build anything i want on a bike, so experience is not a problem. I also work on Mountain and Road bikes too, it is easier if you ask me!!! I talked with the part owner of the bike shop woman and she claimed that there isnt a business and its bad to because they park doesnt allow bikes! I disagree with this ENTIRELY!!! There is a massive market, i for sure would buy from them in a heartbeat instead of Danscomp because i wanna support what they do. It is important to have a bike shop that deals what type of bike you ride in general! The main reason is the guy never wanted to true a 48 spoke wheel ever again. I told them immediately those arent the standard and havent been since 2009 about. 36 spoke wheels took over because of weight weenies lol. I have trued 48 spoke wheels (not very often, but it wasnt hard, usually those wheels stay dead straight once assembled!) just more spokes to tighten really. haha i would rather have a 48 spoked wheel because 36 spoke wheels were originally for racing! I run 36s only cuz its hard to get ahold of good 48s! Eventually the Bone Deth rear wheel will come out and as long as that hub is good, ill get it! haha Back to my point, how could i convince these bike shop owners to start dealing BMX? I told them to atleast have small components like Odyssey tires and Grips and pegs or something that way i could actually replace things quickly without needing to order them! haha And im sure people would do this too because there are people that will! How can i convince them? Sorry this is so long, i ramble.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/5/2013 10:34 PM

Convince them to dip their hands in some BMX sales, and gradually increase their support.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/5/2013 10:34 PM

Good luck......as far as the bike industry goes bmxers are the broke ass fuckers that not many bike shops care to deal with......why stock up on 500 dollar bmxs when they could sell more 5000 dollar mountain bikes and road bikes

|

8/5/2013 10:37 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Good luck......as far as the bike industry goes bmxers are the broke ass fuckers that not many bike shops care to deal ...more

I see. They said it is more of a service issue, they have to be able to service a BMX bike. I dont get what is so much more difficult with a BMX bike! I find them easy. haha Mountain bikes have a lot more things going on, but they arent hard to work on and same with road bikes!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/5/2013 10:43 PM

It's probably a service issue cause repairing bmx bikes isn't a huge demand, my buddy did a bike mechanic school in Vancouver and they didn't touch bmx it was all mountain bikes and road bikes.....,wich is funny because bmx bikes are a hell of allot simpler then those bikes

|

8/5/2013 10:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

It's probably a service issue cause repairing bmx bikes isn't a huge demand, my buddy did a bike mechanic school in Vancouver ...more

Well, after a few times doing it, all bikes are fairly simple with the right tools lol

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/5/2013 11:27 PM

Tell them road bikes are for niggas with one nut. You gotta stop posting these walls of text man I can't read all of that drunk

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

8/5/2013 11:45 PM

Ressler711 wrote:

Tell them road bikes are for niggas with one nut. You gotta stop posting these walls of text man I can't read all of that ...more

Sorry. I apologized at the bottom XD i type it all and dont feel like editing anything so just leave it. I get off topic. I have a lot to say because i get off topic really lol

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/5/2013 11:55 PM

They most likely order from J&B for road bike stuff, which has some Odyssey parts & also ODI grips. Talk to them about buying a few bmx things like that, like just pedals, grips & tires maybe. It won't cost a lot and if people see bmx stuff in there they'll ask if they can get more bmx stuff in, and now you're making progress cause it shows the owners there's an interest in it and a reason to buy bmx parts

|

8/6/2013 5:43 AM

eskimojay wrote:

It's probably a service issue cause repairing bmx bikes isn't a huge demand, my buddy did a bike mechanic school in Vancouver ...more

You hit the nail on the head, jay. But you're not grasping what it means for the shop. There's no money in bmx services BECAUSE they're simpler to work on than mtb and road bikes. Although Maximus thinks mtb and road bikes are easier.

@Maximus, I believe you are correct about the non-bmx park being the issue. I don't know the background/history to the city building it, but non-bmx parks usually happen because bmxers don't get involved and just assume they'll be allowed to use it. And sometimes it has to do with the source of funding saying they won't give the money unless it's skate/scooter only.

I hope the bmx industry sees this trend and is working on creating a lending/grant institution that will do bmx bike parks.

|

8/6/2013 2:19 PM

Do you guys really think it's an service BMX service issue? The bike shop (or any other store) concentrate on the people that HAVE money which are not kids spending there birthday money. It's people that have jobs with disposable income that see what they want and they buy it or finance it. There's not to many grown ups going into bike stores every week buying BMX parts. Bike stores can't survive just on parents buying a bike for a Christmas present. There are exceptions on different areas. The 2x4 store in New Jersey was strictly BMX stuff and it's no longer in business.

|

8/6/2013 2:52 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Good luck......as far as the bike industry goes bmxers are the broke ass fuckers that not many bike shops care to deal ...more

This.

The shop I worked at had a huge selection of BMX, and most of it sat on the shelves and then went on clearance or was transferred to a different store.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/6/2013 3:04 PM

Four lbs's in Oly.No bmx.There was a bmx/dj shop in Lacey.It lasted two years.
Proffit margin on mtb/road bikes is way greater.

|

8/6/2013 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2013 4:31 PM

Well there is one close to be that has 1 eastern frame and that's it the rest you have to order. He says with road bikes you get more $$$$$ and there are really only a couple of bmxers around but there is a bmx track. I want to race but i have no idea how to get started but i think i might have to buy a race bike and i don't want to drop a lot of money on something i might not even use idk.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149