Bike advice

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2017 3:24 PM

So I got a new bike and was wondering if it was bad it is not full crmo. It is the WTP reason FC and the toptube downtube and chainstays are crmo which means the seat tube is not. Is this bad or will the bike still hold up. I'm not like a bike thrower or anything

|

7/15/2017 3:43 PM

It should hold up just fine, unless you're jumping el toro on the daily.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

7/15/2017 4:49 PM

If you're a beginner it should live a few years. Frame imo is usually the last thing replaced, Some 4130 is better than none. It'll be definitely tougher than a typical Hi-Tensile steel frame and will probably last you until the time you replace it if you even dive into bmx for that long. Lots of people buy a decent complete and retire with it

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/15/2017 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 10:51 PM

You'll be fine, but if it lasts you a few years, it won't be a bad idea to upgrade to a 100% chromoly frame then.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/15/2017 11:10 PM

It'll last . I've seen and rode a crysis at my local and it felt solid as fuck .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/16/2017 2:51 AM

I'tll hold up fine, my WTP Crysis is built the same way. Seat stays are hi-ten, There's nothing wrong with a properly specced Hi-ten bike (awaits flame war lol)

i think it tends to get overblown on a lot of forums, 4130 has a higher strength to weight ratio meaning you can make the bike lighter by using thinner walled tubing and still retain the same strength as a properly specced heavier hi-ten bike, When you look at the actual engineering specs of these steels the yield and tensile strengths between the 2 materials isn't as big as people would have you think, there is other test factors like ultimate resiliance, elongation at break etc etc

yes 4130 is the "better" material in everyone of those tests, but not by much in most of them, but that is also comparing like for like tubing, so exact same diameter and wall thickness, which doesn't really apply here in a lot of our scenarios as bike manufacturers will spec thinner chromoly tube to hi-ten to help make the bike lighter, i dare say there are probably some frame builders out there that will spec the same thickness to make a much stronger bike too, looking at the weights of the items like the frame should give you an idea if that's been done.

|