Bike companies

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2017 11:31 AM

Ok, as I stated in the "intro yourself" area, I've been out of the "scene" for some time. Not that I haven't been riding. I just haven't kept up with the industry, other than some of the advancements. So, my question is: What are the top brands in each area these days (i.e. Racing, Flatland, Street, etc...)? What about parts? It seems every company has a crmo 3-piece, Chinese-made crank these days... are there any companies that are dominating the market for cranks, stems, handlebars, etc..?

Thanx for your patience (& hopefully your answers) in advance.

|

7/31/2017 11:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2017 11:42 AM

Generally, parts among the same price range will usually be about the same quality. A lot of riders tend to lean towards a brand they like best, but you can find certain brands in certain disciplines.

In street riding, there's Cult, Eclat, Federal, Fit, Kink, and so on.

In park riding, there's Total, Mafia, Hyper, Snafu, and so on.

I can't say which brands are top for racing and flatland. There are flatlanders here on Vital that I'm sure can give you more insight, but barely anyone races here.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/31/2017 12:32 PM

You mean like good ole american made profile cranks? Odyssey? S&M, Animal, Standard, Primo...im sure im missing a few bur you cant really go wrong with any of them.

|

Yours truly, Ahren

7/31/2017 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2017 1:40 PM

Good to know we are still producing some stuff here in the states! Thanx for your input, guys. I'm sure I'll catch on before too long. It's a lot different than back in the day. Back then, you generally had the same components in different frame/forks. Redline stem, redline flight cranks, Araya 7x rims. Suntour hubs (or cooks bros. Phil woods, etc...) &, of course, comp. 3 tires. Today it seems like everything is very diverse.

|

7/31/2017 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2017 2:44 PM

Fbm, profile, g sport rims are about as good as you can get. I like profile cranks and hubs, but everything else they make is over machined in my opinion.
Fbm are simple but badass. They make a trails frame, a street frame, and an all rounder. Their stems and sprockets are American made by backhand. S&m make plenty of frames, and fit aftermarket frames, forks and bars are still made by s&m too.
The terrible one Barcode and sfa are s&m made too, as are their bars. And the stem if you can find one and have plenty of spare cash.
Standard are still around and still awesome, just not in the limelight at all.

And odyssey, not American made, but about as good as you can get for parts really.

Almost everything else out there is basically cookie cutter Taiwanese stuff really.

Fly are still pretty innovative. But I don't really trust some of their ideas

|

7/31/2017 4:27 PM

What does " over machined " mean exactly?

|

7/31/2017 5:38 PM

Also Odyssey uses a manufacturer in Austin TX. Not sure how much is manufactured their but I follow the companies page that produces a lot of their products.

|

Yours truly, Ahren

8/1/2017 12:17 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

What does " over machined " mean exactly?

I don't like the weird shapes of their parts, or the patterns they machine into things. It's an aesthetic thing really, but to me it looks ugly. The stems especially

|

8/1/2017 2:29 AM

Anything made by Wethepeople you'll be happy with . As well , Animal and S&M hold it down .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short