Bike frame jig

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2016 5:29 PM

Anyone everlook into building bike frames?
Might be something I would get into someday if I could figure out how to get headtubes and bottom brackets without investing a lot in having a machinist make them Photo

|

1/12/2016 5:32 PM

Before anyone asks I am a welder lol
Photo

|

1/12/2016 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2016 5:53 PM

You can buy just frame parts like the bb and head tube to same time and then weld them together

|

1/12/2016 6:02 PM

420bongblazer wrote:

You can buy just frame parts like the bb and head tube to same time and then weld them together

This. Solid Bikes sells them.

Start by building a frame for yourself to see if it is something you actually want to build. Then if there is interest, build for a buddy or two, and then start selling a few at a time online. (Essentially what Mike Laird did).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2016 6:18 PM

Nice looking weld man...too bad you used a positioner lol. Just giving you a hard time...But, from the looks of it you got it dialed in. The weld looks really consistent and pretty uniform. I've been wanting to weld up my own frame as well. That jig is crazy expensive it seems like though. I saw one a while back that was almost like the one you posted but, a little bigger and I don't think it was even half that price...but if you're actually going to get serious with it, and whip out hella frames, this jig doesn't look too bad. I like how it has the fork jig that comes with it as well.

|

1/12/2016 6:28 PM

There are cheaper options but that one would be GREAT for someone who was building a lot of frames.

I would start simpler first. If you don't have access to all the tooling to mitre out the seat tube/tt/seat stay junctions, BB /chainstay/downtube etc you could contact FBM and create the specs for the frame, and have them send the tubing to you pre-fabbed. Takes a lot out of it, but if you don't have the time or tools to do all that, it is a great option to try your hand at it.

Alternately use your welding and metal fab skills to build a jig. Hardest part is angles and decent clamping from what I have seen.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2016 6:34 PM

JPond53 wrote:

Nice looking weld man...too bad you used a positioner lol. Just giving you a hard time...But, from the looks of it you got it ...more

Thanks I work in aerospace so we use a turn table on about 50% of the stuff we build it quicker and easier to get a more consistent bead then trying to free hand everything.

|

1/12/2016 6:36 PM

The same company sells another one for about 2500 but I figure if your gonna buy something like that get the best u can especially if your making frames for people who ride road bikes that what really specific dimensions

|

1/13/2016 12:41 AM

I wanted to be a welder but fuck you guys are fucked

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/13/2016 5:30 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

How? lol...the industry is booming there aren't enough people that know how to weld to fill all the positions! Tons of jobs!

|

1/13/2016 11:30 AM

JPond53 wrote:

How? lol...the industry is booming there aren't enough people that know how to weld to fill all the positions! Tons of jobs!

This. There are companies that recruit people, pay for their schooling, guarantee a job AND a place to stay during school near me as long as you contract for a minimum of 3 years with the company.Everyone wants a computer job, so the trades are looking for people.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2016 12:59 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This. There are companies that recruit people, pay for their schooling, guarantee a job AND a place to stay during school near ...more

Yeah exactly! Every trade is needing people! Maybe he was thinking of the health risks? If so, there's risks for everything. 9.99999 times out of 10 if here's hazardous fumes you're wearing some sort of respirator. There's PPE for EVERYTHING these days.

|

1/13/2016 1:42 PM

JPond53 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

This. There are companies that recruit people, pay for their schooling, guarantee a job AND a place to stay during school near ...more

JPond53 wrote:

Yeah exactly! Every trade is needing people! Maybe he was thinking of the health risks? If so, there's risks for everything. ...more

Maybe he means mentally?

In which case all jobs have nutters at them. If you don't see that, YOU are the nutter.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2016 1:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2016 2:01 PM

Why would anyone want to waste their potential with welding bike frames , there's so many better paying welding jobs out their , leave welding bike frames to standard s&m fbm
Mike laird and tiawan the last thing they need is more competition , go get a high paying job with welding and make a good career out of it , even on the fbm I love my bicycle documentary they say they don't do it for the money they do it for the love of bmx , cause it doesn't pay worth shit

|

1/13/2016 2:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Maybe he means mentally?

In which case all jobs have nutters at them. If you don't see that, YOU are the nutter.

Lol! Seriously!

|

1/13/2016 2:10 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Why would anyone want to waste their potential with welding bike frames , there's so many better paying welding jobs out their ...more

Yeah there's some jobs that pay better than others...but if dude wants to weld bicycle frames why not? What if his frames are better than Lairds? He doesn't have to limit himself to JUST bmx either...road bikes and mountain bikes could be profitable! Sometimes sitting in a nice warm and quiet shop TIG welding bicycle frames making enough to get by beats making decent money working outside in the weather running fucking stick or flux core all fuckin day.

|

1/13/2016 2:20 PM

JPond53 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Ya man alot of people are going to school for computer tech but the majority of welders are baby boomers so their all starting to retire and there is a BIG generation gap in welders

|

1/13/2016 2:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Why would anyone want to waste their potential with welding bike frames , there's so many better paying welding jobs out their ...more

Lairds bmx frames start at 450 probably has less than a hundred in each frame from what I found super therm tubing sells your top and bottom tubes for about 10 a piece so I'm sure he has under 100 in materials in each frame so he's making good money
Plus who wouldn't want to make make bike frames on the side

|

1/13/2016 2:59 PM

If you wanna blow 3k you can get the same jigs standard use, they are fully adjustable from 20" bmx all the way up to 26" bikes. Well worth it if you want to be diverse.

|

1/13/2016 3:45 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

If you wanna blow 3k you can get the same jigs standard use, they are fully adjustable from 20" bmx all the way up to 26" ...more

Make roughly 10 frames selling at 400 each (figure 100 materials) ROUGH estimate, you'd pay off your jig.

So to make it profitable by that very rough estimate, you would profit at frame 11. BUT you also need to mitre certain junctions which would be essentially a hole saw and a drill press, have grinders, sanders etc too. SO if you don't have ANY of the tooling, you are looking for a lot more frames to be made until you would make a profit.

But if you do some research and learn about MTB and road bikes, you could get into those aspects and make good money on those (frames there are typically more like 600+ and a tad more for materials).

A guy that came into the shop I worked at had FBM cut and mitre everything so he would weld it up, cost him 180 bucks to make a 24" cruiser, so I could see materials being under/around 100 in cost for your average BMX.

People think making 300 bucks on that is a lot of money, but Laird spends a good amount of time welding maybe 2-3 frames because you need to let them air cool between welds in the jig so they don't warp. Plus he has a LOT of expensive tools to use to make the frames (CNC Plasma for the seatstay bridges) AND he back purges the tubing (not cheap) to avoid impurities, making a stronger, better weld.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2016 10:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2016 10:46 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I already have a great job welding jet engine parts lol I wasn't looking into it to make my yearly salary more just something to do in my down time side projects just for the hell of it. Like laird he only make up to 12 frames a month after all your expenses that go into building a frame probably bringing in 4K a month if he get 12 orders I wouldn't quit my day job

|

1/14/2016 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2016 12:25 PM

1234q9 wrote:

I already have a great job welding jet engine parts lol I wasn't looking into it to make my yearly salary more just something ...more

I would but that's because that it more than I make now.

I don't have all the tooling locally. My dad has everything BUT a jig. I want to weld up a frame at some point. I think I will start with cranks though.

Solid sells parts in a ready, but not built way pretty cheap. I could weld up my own cranks, and go from there. Shouldn't be too hard.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2016 1:03 PM

Solid bikes Parts

This way you can get headtubes etc for now and other parts as you want them.
|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/16/2016 1:05 PM

Since you can already weld, if you have access to a milling machine, or a lathe with a miling attachment, you could most likely build your own jig.

|

1/16/2016 4:09 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Since you can already weld, if you have access to a milling machine, or a lathe with a miling attachment, you could most ...more

I've looked into buying one (was thinking about having a small fab shop fit side jobs) but they big time expensive. If I ever did buy a jig it would be more for entertaining my self winter projects shit like that I don't really expect to make a living any reason to buy more tools I don't need lol

|

1/16/2016 4:14 PM

eskimojay wrote:

1234q9 wrote:

I already have a great job welding jet engine parts lol I wasn't looking into it to make my yearly salary more just something ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I would but that's because that it more than I make now.

I don't have all the tooling locally. My dad has everything BUT a ...more

Even cranks would require some kind of jig I broke my twombolts and welded them back together but you could feel they didn't go together right but if you could buy a jig or make one for Cranks I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper and more people would probably buy them gonna be hard l to get a lot of sales on frames just because there so expensive

|