Bike is slowly becoming harder to ride?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2016 6:34 AM

I ride my bike every day to school, and almost every day out of school, so I'm on it quite often. But here lately I've noticed that it's a lot harder to pedal now. I used to be able to get up to speed to cross busy intersections with ease, but now I really have to push to get going. My chain is fairly lose, and sometimes it pops really loud, but it isn't loose enough to be an issue. Do I just need to tighten my chain? My tires always have the right amount of air in them, so I'm not sure. I was also thinking that I need to add some grease to my bearings or something, since it hasn't been done since February. But that is only because I don't know what kind to get. Any ideas? Thanks!

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

9/13/2016 7:23 AM

if you run brakes, maybe pads are touching the rim

|

9/13/2016 7:26 AM

That popping could be your chain slipping on the driver, which would mean your driver is worn. Check how well your wheels and cranks spin, you could have a bearing or 2 on the way out somewhere. It could also be muscular, although your muscles don't ache, they might just need a rest, or you need more energy. I have days where my bike feels hard to ride, and it's just because I'm tired and don't have the energy

|

9/13/2016 7:59 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That popping could be your chain slipping on the driver, which would mean your driver is worn. Check how well your wheels and ...more

I run brakeless, so that can't be the issue Tiho. Maybe that might be it Steve, I barely get sleep because I'm so caught up with everything. I'll definitely check my driver and bearings to see if there is any issue. Thanks!

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

9/13/2016 8:10 AM

I would definitely check the driver, I had a similar issue with my last cassette wheel turned out the driver was completely shot and the bearings were gone.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

9/13/2016 8:20 AM

I was also thinking maybe bottom bracket issues? If the pedals are resisting it might be some issues there too

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/13/2016 10:55 AM

Is it hard to backpedal? If so, check driver and BB for that. Both could be the root of sluggishness. Take your back wheel off and try to spin the driver and spin the wheel on the axle. If stiff or it feels like it has notches, bearings are toast, or worse.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/13/2016 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2016 3:34 PM

Your back wheel is about to take a shit son. Sad to hear. Check your bottom bracket as well. Driving a bike with shitty bearings is the most irritating thing. My BB is shot atm and I can't even ride it it's too annoying the popping and cracking sounds and you feel it in the pedals when it does it. My bike wheel forever ago started doing that then got all poppy and snappy and eventually just quit turning

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert