Bike opinions for 8 year old.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2018 5:13 AM

My Daughter will be 8 soon and wants a BMX so she can learn flatland.
Do I need to spend a fortune or would something cheap like the muddyfox atom with front and rear pegs be OK?
Does it matter what bike she starts with?

|

10/8/2018 5:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 5:29 AM

Flatland is hard. Doing tricks when you’re little is hard. Doing it on a shitty bike is even harder.

My five year old daughter rides a 12” fit misfit. I wouldn’t suggest a worse bike that that. Check out the 16” cult and fit completes.

|

10/8/2018 5:39 AM

Thank you. I'll look into it and see if there's somewhere I can go locally to have a look at one.

|

10/8/2018 5:42 AM

Yeah I'm gonna agree with JPC here, 20" might be too big. For something like flatland you really need to be able to move the bike how you want and with a bike that big the possibility of success is quite slim. It might sound weird since a 20" is usually considered as a small/kids bike, but if grown men use a 20" for their flatland tricks then it might be really hard for an 8 year old.

|

10/8/2018 5:48 AM

Thank you. Had no idea that grown men use the same size! Will definitely go for something smaller!
I like the look of the cult. Still an affordable price too.

|

10/8/2018 5:52 AM

I ride flatland on a bmx bike with 20” wheels and a 18.5” top tube. Flatland bikes are really small.

I know Japanese kids are getting into flatland. You might want to search out what they’re using to get a sense of the high end of the spectrum.

Also, check out the bmx groms website if you haven’t.

|

10/8/2018 5:55 AM

Mamabmx wrote:

Thank you. Had no idea that grown men use the same size! Will definitely go for something smaller!
I like the look of the cult. Still an affordable price too.

Yeah, we do. I'm 6'2" and ride a 20" with a 21.25"TT

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/8/2018 5:55 AM

Thanks for the info and advice. This is all new to me and being pointed in the right direction is much appreciated!

|

10/8/2018 6:12 AM

Well, grown physically but never fully developed mentally.

|

10/8/2018 6:30 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I didn't want to put it out there, but this.

|

10/8/2018 6:45 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

And I'm proud

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/8/2018 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 7:28 AM

Young is the perfect time to start flatland , it takes allot of time to get good at , was at fise last summer and Japan had this little dude killing it on flatland , kid looked like he was about ten , I’d say was one of the top 5 flatlanders there too

|

10/8/2018 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 7:39 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Young is the perfect time to start flatland , it takes allot of time to get good at , was at fise last summer and Japan had this little dude killing it on flatland , kid looked like he was about ten , I’d say was one of the top 5 flatlanders there too

I agree with you, but I bet that Japanese kid was on a $2000 flatland specific custom rig and was probably a pretty solid all-around rider.

In reality, there are a ton of basic bike handling skills that are required before you can even start thinking about doing flatland. In that vein, I don't know a single decent flatland rider who isn't proficient in the core skillset of bmx (front and rear endos, bunnyhops, bar spins, basic park stuff, etc.).

Starting out on flatland is like starting out on the decathlon when you don't know how to hurdle, shotput, or throw a javelin.

On edit, this isn't a bad flatland specific complete:
http://flatlandfuel.com/fareastcycles16completebike.aspx

OP, how tall is your daughter?

|

10/8/2018 11:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 11:17 AM

Where the hell is HavokDJ the one time we need him?

j/k

|

10/8/2018 2:06 PM

My 7 year old son is growing in to his Fit Eighteen. It's a little too big for him to try tricks on right now, but he just bumped up from a 16" non-bmx bike. I didn't want to put out the cash for a 16" bmx since he would probably outgrow it in 6 months.

|

10/9/2018 1:54 AM

My Daughter is the tallest in her class. She is big for her age but slim so I guess she will need to build up some muscle! I think I'll have to take her with me to choose the bike so we can see which size fits best. 16" may be to small but we need to consider the weight too as I want her to have half a chance of lifting it!
She does tricks on her current bike like standing on the saddle and handle bars. She has great balance. I realise she'll need to start with the basics. She is autistic so when she's into something she eats sleeps and breathes it. She'd literally watch people ride bmx on YouTube all day if I'd let her!
Thank you all for helping me!
And never grow up mentally. It's a trap! Lol

|

10/9/2018 5:56 AM

Your daughter sounds like a badass. I hope she enjoys her BMX journey, good luck to you both and have fun. I hope my daughter likes BMX when she gets older!

|

10/10/2018 11:36 AM

Jawz13 wrote:

My 7 year old son is growing in to his Fit Eighteen. It's a little too big for him to try tricks on right now, but he just bumped up from a 16" non-bmx bike. I didn't want to put out the cash for a 16" bmx since he would probably outgrow it in 6 months.

I just bought an 18" for my 7yr old son too... Deffo too big for tricks at the moment, but he is getting confidence riding it about.... And he growing quickly

|

10/10/2018 11:57 AM

|

fack off

10/11/2018 4:44 AM

RumHam wrote:

Your daughter sounds like a badass. I hope she enjoys her BMX journey, good luck to you both and have fun. I hope my daughter likes BMX when she gets older!

Thanks. She is a badass! I think autism will be a plus for riding bmx as she has no fear!

|