Bike shop jobs?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2014 9:28 PM

Ok, so i know a few guys here work at shops (sunday, broken, transitionchris, scottefting) maybe even more people. i'm kind of wondering what it is like. I'm sure you deal with mostly non-bmx. I have always wanted to work at a shop. What should i teach myself so when i'm old enough for a shop to actually consider giving me a job (i'm almost fifteen now) i would actually be helpful. I know a lot about bmx and i can build bmx wheels. What are the most common fixes you have to do as a bike mechanic? How can i educate myself on other kinds of bikes that i have no interest in riding? I don't want to walk into a shop and be that stupid bmx kid that thinks they should be given a job just because they put their bike together.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/27/2014 9:34 PM

I would also like to know this

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

11/27/2014 9:49 PM

Anything & everything. Never know what you're gonna encounter.

When I first started, I knew how to do pretty much everything to a bmx bike, except stuff like adjusting unsealed threaded headsets, unsealed hubs, etc, were a pain in the ass at first but are now a breeze.

As for mountain/road bike stuff.. I knew next to nothing aside from the basics. Derailleurs still give me a hard time (usually just piece of shit ones off Wal-Mart bikes) but almost everything else is pretty easy, but that doesn't mean I never run into problems every now & then. So basically, if you could take apart a mountain bike(brakes & cables too), and reassemble it, you'd be right on track. Derailleurs though can be a bitch to work with sometimes getting them to work juuuust right. Rear shocks are another thing that can be a bitch, but luckily we don't see many people needing that messed with enough to the point that it IS a bitch. Personally I've never even worked on one.

Other than that, a lot of stuff is just common sense really. Until someone brings in an odd item like a wheelchair bike or something, then you're like dafuq.

I'd say the majority of customer work is mostly piece of shit mountain bikes or bmx bikes being brought in to be tuned up/fix flats, but occasionally we do get a nice mountain bike or bmx bike to work on. Same with wheel builds, mostly junk shit, sometimes nice.

Rest of the work is assembling new bikes, stocking parts, pricing them, figuring out what we're running low on/could use, helping a customer figure out how their bike rack goes on, talking to Jehovah's Witnesses that randomly come in trying not to make fun of them, and occasionally if I run out of stuff to do, I'll either clean my bike, do maintenance to it, clean the shop, or rearrange shit. Pretty much it in a nutshell.

Sometimes the best part is playing bmx dvds when your friends come in on a slow day and just talk and chill.

|

11/27/2014 10:05 PM

Sounds awesome. Maybe i will just go hang out in my lbs all the time till they give me a job hahaha. The bike shops closest to me are run by terrible money hungry people ripping little kids of charging then $15 to adjust stem bolts or pedal a chain back on. A couple shops a little farther away from me are legit though. A few guys that hang with fbm a lot work at them. I want to work at one of them eventually.

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/27/2014 11:42 PM

I'd imagine you'd also need to be really knowledgable about all the parts and completes etc and how they work and be able to sell things.

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

11/28/2014 3:27 AM

Too bad none of them are hiring around here, would be a sweet job

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

11/28/2014 9:23 AM

Depends on the shop.

Learn derailluers, disc brakes, unsealed parts, and really anything you can. Suspension is good to know, as are Hyrdraulic brakes, as they separate you from some home mechanic usually. (Assuming you will work in the service department if they have a separation).

STUDY THE PARK TOOL WEBSITE

Learn about the bikes that shop sells, all styles from Kids to BMX to Road to MTB.

Check out the company websites for models of bikes and learn some of the specs, and the benefits of one type of component group vs another.

Learn about the materials used and how they make a better ride. Learn as much as you possibly can, and be ENTHUSIASTIC about everything they sell!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/28/2014 9:24 AM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Too bad none of them are hiring around here, would be a sweet job

Apply anyway, and check in with them in late January or Early February, bike building season.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/28/2014 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2014 10:14 AM

A few tips for getting a job at a shop:

- If you haven't already had a job, it will really help to get something basic under your belt. If someone young applies for a job at our shop and they've already had a part time job for a summer it shows that they are responsible and at least don't have to learn the very basics about how to work.

- Visit the shop regularly and buy things. Get to know the staff, find out what peoples names are, introduce yourself, be a cool guy. When people apply here I first try and think about if I've seen them in the shop, then I always look them up to see what they've bought here as this gives me an indication on whether they have been supporting the shop already.

- Clean up your social media accounts. After I look up your purchase history the next place I go is to see if I can find you on Facebook and Instagram. If you're an idiot there and it's public, you're probably also an idiot in public.

- Be persistent. I once gave someone and interview simply because he phoned me about 8 times to ask me for an interview. Find out who the manager is, introduce yourself and then follow up.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

11/28/2014 2:40 PM

transition_chris wrote:

- If you haven't already had a job, it will really help to get something basic under ...more

Thanks a lot!

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/28/2014 2:49 PM

transition_chris wrote:

- If you haven't already had a job, it will really help to get something basic under ...more

Worth a shot

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

11/28/2014 3:38 PM

I have a job set up at this charity/cheap bike shop called the reno bike project. Things get donated. Somebody donated a Niner brand full carbon xc bike with full sram components. Things like that they take for themselves or sell for the shop funds.

|

11/28/2014 5:07 PM

Try Agee's?? I worked there for a few years.. They like to hire young teens.. you have to be able to change a tire/ tube without scratches on the rim and adjusting derailers?

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

11/28/2014 5:08 PM

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about applying at my local bike shop

|

Youtube
Instagram: @joelfiest
Twitter @joelfiest9
Bike Check

11/28/2014 5:23 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Try Agee's?? I worked there for a few years.. They like to hire young teens.. you have to be able to change a tire/ tube ...more

I dont really like agees. All the experiances i have had with them they have just been doing the worst work charging the most money. I watched them charge a kid $15 to pedal an unbroken chain onto a sprocket .

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/28/2014 5:41 PM

Yeah, they don't have good help right now??? But they do have a minimum 15 dollar charge for working on bikes..

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

11/28/2014 7:14 PM

Bought my first bike at my lbs when I was 14/15 they were pretty cool to me. Helped me work on my bike for free n shit. Bought one hub on danscomp, brought it to the shop to get helped gettin it laced and wanted 40 bucks. That was the last thing I bought on dans and started getting all my parts at the shop. Started hanging out most days than not for a couple years and when he noticed I was building my own wheels n stopped askin for help he started paying me the build the BMX completes 10 bucks a bike (took about 45-60 min at first but easily done in half hour or less) from there it turned into a full time job. Just hang out in the shop and stop giving your money to danscomp. Get to know them and then they will know what you got and what you can offer.

|