Bike shop scams

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2013 7:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2013 7:52 PM

Yesterday I went to my local bike shop becuase my hub shell was moving back and forth so the guy looks at it and says I have to get my bearings replaced and need to get a new driver and he said it would cost about 150$ I was like ok ill get it done later today I ran into my friends from my old school and one of them wanted to trade me crank 2010 salt cranks off a trust for verde cranks as he was changing the cranks he tightened something and fixed it for free and I got good cranks out of it. Tell me your bike shop stories.

|

3/9/2013 7:55 PM

|

3/9/2013 8:05 PM

telling me a tube was $5 then taking my bike back and putting the tube in and charged me $20. If i didnt pay they would take my bike

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/9/2013 8:09 PM

Well you're lucky he was not dumb and fixed it and you're stupid for beleiving the dicks at the shop. You should report them.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

3/9/2013 8:10 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

telling me a tube was $5 then taking my bike back and putting the tube in and charged me $20. If i didnt pay they would take ...more

They wouldn't have gotten my money. I would've gave the $5 and then called the cops saying they won't hand the bike over.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

3/9/2013 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2013 8:14 PM

Photo
|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/9/2013 8:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2013 8:20 PM

My friend got a flat in a different town we were riding and the only shop charged $7 or $8 for the tube and like another $10 for the labor... I said it was fucking bullshit but my friend insisted on getting it fixed.. so after he did that I decided to talk shit to them on their twitter.. their claim was "If we take the time to fix his flat, we're losing time we could be using to do other things"

they blocked me after I said like "oh like the 2 employees using the store computer to check their facebooks the whole time we were there & standing around?"

Not really a scam, but over charged & lied to

|

3/9/2013 8:20 PM

Ikr, The guy at my lbs said he would put on a chain for free (he had to cut it) then he ended up charging me $20 and he took 3 hours.. I had to leave it there. But they have to make money some how. fuck them though.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/9/2013 8:20 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

telling me a tube was $5 then taking my bike back and putting the tube in and charged me $20. If i didnt pay they would take ...more

A lot of real shitty shops do this and scam people by not giving the full detail. . Problem is, customers talk and complain about it else where instead of doing it on the spot.

In the end, learn to work on your own bike, its the easiest thing ever. Theres nothing difficult about it besides building wheels if you dont have experience with it.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

3/9/2013 8:29 PM

you guys have some bad bike shops my bike shop doesent charge more than 20 dollars for repairs unless you need new parts
and they charge 5 dollars to install parts and thats why i have them sponsor me Terrys bike shop cmon by if your ever in illinois

|

making half retarded post at the moment

3/9/2013 8:29 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

The Horror Contact wrote:

A lot of real shitty shops do this and scam people by not giving the full detail. . Problem is, customers talk and complain ...more

true that ive learned how to do most basic stuff like fixing a tire removing the chain and easy way to take off and put back on grips i also know a little about lacing a wheel and i just watched a video today out of boredom on dans about how to switch a united driver from lhd to rhd and back

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

3/9/2013 8:34 PM

mrmatrix66 wrote:

you guys have some bad bike shops my bike shop doesent charge more than 20 dollars for repairs unless you need new parts
and ...more

same. neither of the shops here charge a lot. there's 2 shops, 1 charges a bit more, maybe $5 or so to put a part on, $10 if it's a bit more complex like a BB replacement or something. but that's business. and it's his only job so he has to make money somehow.

the other shop is the shop I work for, owner has a second job and makes a lot there so he can afford to drop the prices down a bit. we usually do small labor things for free, like a flat tire would be free, putting pegs on, new grips, stuff like that.. you just pay for the part. stuff like putting a whole bike together is only about $20, maybe less even if we don't run into any problems

|

3/9/2013 8:38 PM

I always ask Vital before I take it the shop. But nah the shop here is owned by one dude and he's cool as fuck, does all maintenance free, had given me bolts before, let's kids use his tools and cool with all the locals. I just don't take my bike there much because I don't like waiting a long time for my stuff to be fixed.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/9/2013 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2013 10:10 PM

Shop wanted to charge my buddy 50 bucks to build him a front wheel. I did it for a burrito.

this shit seriously happened.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/9/2013 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2013 8:48 PM

Lol my closest bike shops were charging 100 dollars plus to strip the bike.

So I said "fuck that shit" and did it by myself. So easy and totally not worth 100 plus to do.
If I needed help I'd YouTube it or ask here.

|

3/9/2013 8:50 PM

this is one of the reasons i made an acct here so i could learn some shyt and try to fix it my self with help from here or youtube or some where else idk lol the internet has everything

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

3/9/2013 9:02 PM

when i first started, a shop charged me 80 bucks to change a gyro to a straight cable and take off front brakes. i was the loser that fell for it. shit was easy to do, and the straight cable should of only cost like 10 bucks at the most.

|

Jade Bike Check
Refs : ninjacat33 ; SuperstarDk ; ecuadevil ; xbikeascammer ;blizzbikes ; tcbmx ; mattjmuldoon@hotmail ;bmx ; Uoykcuf ; BrokenBmx, the balt; Pavimo; bmx-junkie; Fit.Team.Rider' tito24; trentydoo; brendan.magner.9 ;Scramhype ; Jonathan.Vargas ; jared42069; tomdon ; lifeofridden2200; howlerfbm

3/9/2013 9:54 PM

$190 for a 2 wheel build and an extra $50 for putting the tires on

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

3/9/2013 9:58 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

$190 for a 2 wheel build and an extra $50 for putting the tires on

50 to put tires on I got my tube installed for 11.19$

|

3/9/2013 10:11 PM

If i knew how to take off my rear axle nuts and have them budge....i would be a happy man

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

3/9/2013 10:45 PM

SickDude wrote:

If i knew how to take off my rear axle nuts and have them budge....i would be a happy man

try a cheater bar.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/9/2013 10:48 PM

SickDude wrote:

feeble_to_face wrote:

try a cheater bar.

Lol my thread will be hella stripped

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

3/10/2013 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2013 6:07 AM

the guy at my lbs told me not to jump on bmx bikes, he said they are not built for them. plus he sold a pinch bolt to my friend for 5 bucks. i have never brought my bike there and never will. if my bike needs to go to the shop for something i cant fix or my dad cant fix we take it 2 hours away to mauls. at my lbs people walk in asking for a tune up or something and the guy is like first of all the bike is too big for u. the customer didnt ask how big the bike was, he asked for a tune up. i shouldnt even call it my lbs i never go there unless i need tubes

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

3/10/2013 10:53 AM

If your in canada transition bmx shop in edmontons the way to go.....there online mailorders pretty good to

|

3/10/2013 11:08 AM

I've never took my bike to a shop... I know how to do everything smile

|

MY SEXY BIKE CHECK!

sunny.jomofo, even more of a bitch than Dane wild!

if you need to talk to me text me 1-734-301-6545

on the legit list

35+ clean refs

3/10/2013 11:30 AM

tito24 wrote:

Same, it's how you learn it all, whether its changing a tube, chain or bb, I'll do it myself.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

3/10/2013 12:48 PM

My bike shop never over charges, he sells his shit dirt cheap. He lets everyone work on there bikes with his tools, cool dude haha

|

Text For Faster Response (727) 218 4305
Follow Me On Instagram - @Marcog_727
Refs–
Sold : Mrhavoc1988, Skubasteve, Joe_Martinez, -Havok-
Bought : ii Krxfted, Tomdon, SnM An1mal, ScramHype, Ecuadevil, TheHorrorContract
Traded : Wolfen, Kevin_Burnett, The_Bmxist, Wilberto_Mora, Mobking, Joe_Martinez

3/10/2013 12:52 PM

tito24 wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Same, it's how you learn it all, whether its changing a tube, chain or bb, I'll do it myself.

Right! its not even hard...

|

MY SEXY BIKE CHECK!

sunny.jomofo, even more of a bitch than Dane wild!

if you need to talk to me text me 1-734-301-6545

on the legit list

35+ clean refs

3/10/2013 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2013 1:34 PM

my shop rips all the rich dumb kids of. I went in to ask how much would a gsport ratchet would be and they said £190 when online u can get one for £120 so i told them to fuck off. their shit is so overpriced. The only thin worth doing are the wheel, they guy in there is too sick at wheel building

|

3/10/2013 6:25 PM

Hell my lbs trued my back rim for free twice
But they only give some people deals lol they sell non folding duo stunners for 34.95 $

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest