Black Friday

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2020 7:58 AM

Is Black Friday something BMX riders look forward to? I'm into saving money... but do the members here go for sale parts? Any customer service experiences?

|

11/4/2020 7:59 AM

I'm real big on saving money and getting deals especially in parts or shoes. Hopefully there will be some good deals.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/4/2020 8:30 AM

I definitely seek good deals when they come around, my whole bike is a budget/used parts setup for the most part, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/4/2020 8:37 AM

Get a job in a local shop when/if you can and buy stuff at COST year round.

But some places do some deals, cyber monday stuff sometimes.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/4/2020 8:41 AM

I was wondering about this...with how crazy bike sales were this year and the parts shortage we've all talked about, I was wondering if companies wouldn't run any specials this year.....if they are working on rebuilding stock that is going to sell because ppl are waiting on parts to come in stock, then what is the motivation to give discounts?

|

11/4/2020 1:30 PM

cyber monday deals sound good to me! didn't think of that.

|

11/4/2020 6:26 PM

I love Black Friday, most of my photography equipment and power tools came from old Black Friday sales

|

11/4/2020 6:55 PM

younggotti wrote:

I was wondering about this...with how crazy bike sales were this year and the parts shortage we've all talked about, I was wondering if companies wouldn't run any specials this year.....if they are working on rebuilding stock that is going to sell because ppl are waiting on parts to come in stock, then what is the motivation to give discounts?

If the current supply isn't selling because people are waiting to restock, then what's the use keeping leftover parts full price? Big discounts might coax some sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Even if they sell at cost, it's better than sitting on the shelf at this point. Shops just need to keep afloat long enough to make it to the next restocking wave, whenever that happens.

|

11/4/2020 7:42 PM

younggotti wrote:

crispyoldcraig wrote:

If the current supply isn't selling because people are waiting to restock, then what's the use keeping leftover parts full price? Big discounts might coax some sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Even if they sell at cost, it's better than sitting on the shelf at this point. Shops just need to keep afloat long enough to make it to the next restocking wave, whenever that happens.

My question would be...if during the summer when parts were going crazy, if a product didn't sell out then ...is it really a product anyone wants? And if they are just trying to generate some extra revenue...then do they even have enough in stock to run a sale?

I was trying to think of a product that may fit...like a frame where a new version was just released and they want to get rid of an old model? Maybe some pedals or chains that someone doesn't want...I just have a hard time thinking albes or whoever has a quality name product that they want to discount if bike sales are at an all-time high, I don't see the incentive...again unless maybe you have some replaceable products like grips for cheap in the hopes someone also sees a bigger priced item they want and is willing to pay retail

|

11/4/2020 7:44 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

45 minute commute to a minimum wage job to save money on bike parts? Great idea.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/4/2020 8:34 PM

i was hoping maybe a stem or something would go on sale. something thats a hassle to replace.

|

11/4/2020 8:42 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

i was hoping maybe a stem or something would go on sale. something thats a hassle to replace.

If you don’t have one already in mind, the Sunday Freeze has been a great deal for the price for a long time now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/5/2020 4:06 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

If you don’t have one already in mind, the Sunday Freeze has been a great deal for the price for a long time now.

sounds good to me!

|

11/5/2020 4:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

45 minute commute to a minimum wage job to save money on bike parts? Great idea.

Not always the case for everyone.

I drove 25 miles one way and worked once every other week for the discount, the pay more than covered my gas, and I love to do it. Saved me around 900 bucks on my CX bike too. Seems pretty worth it there.

Let's take your situation since you clearly want it to be about you:

Driving that distance to work once a week for say, 8 hours at say 10 bucks an hour (most shops don't pay bare minimum because they know they will get nothing but high school kids) = 80 bucks before taxes. You would walk away with around 65 of it because of it being such a low pay amount (I made 11, worked about 6-6.5 hours and my pay was around 50-55 take home in MN-one of the states with higher taxes compared to cost of living). While it is not a lot of money, being able to buy ANY parts you want/need for about half price can easily make up for it.

So take that 65 bucks, and even if you drove a vehicle that got 10 MPG (so, older or larger truck) and assuming 45 minutes driving = 45 miles, you would be at a max of around 5 gallons of gas. Gas prices in your city are about 1.93-2.03 on average (just googled it), so you would max out around 8-11 dollars for gas. Now you have 54 dollars. Factor in a meal-10 bucks? Seems fair since you could easily pack a lunch OR get a decent size fast food meal for less, but for simplicity that is what we will go with. 44 bucks left. So yea, you would walk away with about 44 bucks MORE than you had, and the ability to save around 50% on any and all bike stuff you need, get paid to work around bikes, and even be exposed to other kinds of bikes/riding. Might even meet some rad people.

Buy a full BMX setup once a year, you save yourself around 1000 bucks, plus walk away with an additional $2288.00 a year..

By doing this, you would actually have extra money and save more on bike stuff, plus get to get paid to be around bikes. On top of that, if there were spots near that shop, you could bring your bike, dial it in with the shops tools etc and then go ride because you would already be there.

There are lots of shops in the Columbus area. You wouldn't have to pick one necessarily that is BMX specific-but you could increase the BMX traffic at another, and still get your stuff since most shops use the same few distributors.

Photo

But again, it was aimed at saving money, like the OP asked about. That is the most likely way for an average rider to save the most money. Plus most of the people on here are like 15. A bike shop is a rad first job.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/5/2020 4:56 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

This. I have been riding one for 6+ Years.

|

Husky Nation Member

11/5/2020 5:22 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

agreed, my freeze stem has been solid and for the price it's great

it's creaked/moved a bit a few times but when it moves, it's almost not noticeable after a minute of riding so it's just a few mm

|

11/5/2020 9:35 AM

the fiction one is even cheaper. is it like... not worth it or something? maybe those colony ones will go on sale somewhere!

|

11/5/2020 9:40 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

the fiction one is even cheaper. is it like... not worth it or something? maybe those colony ones will go on sale somewhere!

its probably the same exact thing, made in the same factory....the reach appears to be different on each tho

|

11/5/2020 9:59 AM

Fiction is Stolen's budget brand. Seems to be some decent stuff for the pricing.

Honestly some of their colorways etc are sweet, and for what I do on a bike these days, might be worth it.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/5/2020 10:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Not always the case for everyone.

I drove 25 miles one way and worked once every other week for the discount, the pay more than covered my gas, and I love to do it. Saved me around 900 bucks on my CX bike too. Seems pretty worth it there.

Let's take your situation since you clearly want it to be about you:

Driving that distance to work once a week for say, 8 hours at say 10 bucks an hour (most shops don't pay bare minimum because they know they will get nothing but high school kids) = 80 bucks before taxes. You would walk away with around 65 of it because of it being such a low pay amount (I made 11, worked about 6-6.5 hours and my pay was around 50-55 take home in MN-one of the states with higher taxes compared to cost of living). While it is not a lot of money, being able to buy ANY parts you want/need for about half price can easily make up for it.

So take that 65 bucks, and even if you drove a vehicle that got 10 MPG (so, older or larger truck) and assuming 45 minutes driving = 45 miles, you would be at a max of around 5 gallons of gas. Gas prices in your city are about 1.93-2.03 on average (just googled it), so you would max out around 8-11 dollars for gas. Now you have 54 dollars. Factor in a meal-10 bucks? Seems fair since you could easily pack a lunch OR get a decent size fast food meal for less, but for simplicity that is what we will go with. 44 bucks left. So yea, you would walk away with about 44 bucks MORE than you had, and the ability to save around 50% on any and all bike stuff you need, get paid to work around bikes, and even be exposed to other kinds of bikes/riding. Might even meet some rad people.

Buy a full BMX setup once a year, you save yourself around 1000 bucks, plus walk away with an additional $2288.00 a year..

By doing this, you would actually have extra money and save more on bike stuff, plus get to get paid to be around bikes. On top of that, if there were spots near that shop, you could bring your bike, dial it in with the shops tools etc and then go ride because you would already be there.

There are lots of shops in the Columbus area. You wouldn't have to pick one necessarily that is BMX specific-but you could increase the BMX traffic at another, and still get your stuff since most shops use the same few distributors.

Photo

But again, it was aimed at saving money, like the OP asked about. That is the most likely way for an average rider to save the most money. Plus most of the people on here are like 15. A bike shop is a rad first job.

I was the sales manager at roll: Upper Arlington.

It was awesome but the pay in the fall/winter was dismal, I could hardly afford to eat.

I HIGHLY recommend having a second source of income.

|

11/5/2020 10:02 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Fiction is Stolen's budget brand. Seems to be some decent stuff for the pricing.

Honestly some of their colorways etc are sweet, and for what I do on a bike these days, might be worth it.

if you look at the two stems...sunday and fiction, they look spot on to each other, same cut outs and everything, only different is the raised logo on the top....fiction is 52mm and sunday is 48mm...unless they make them in different sizes

|

11/5/2020 10:17 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Fiction and Stolen both have some if the best color schemes in bmx.

|

11/5/2020 11:09 AM

I just looked this up apparently Australia does black friday as well. Huh. Might have to keep my eyes open for salezes when it comes around.

|

11/6/2020 2:17 AM

So in regards to black Friday/ cyber Monday has anyone seen any possible happenings for Albes or Dancomp? And does anyone know when these shops will have be stocked up or is it just a waiting game?

|