BMX + BRAKELESS?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2013 6:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2013 6:50 PM

My style of riding is flatland, which is the hardest and most time consuming unless your a quick learner, but i have been riding for about 4 years and today i watched a series of bmx flatland videos on youtube, and i noticed there's a lot of people who prefer riding brakeless, one of worlds most famous flatland riders is Matthias Dandois hes sponsored by Red Bull go check him out on youtube and tell me your jaw didn't drop.

But anyways i have been running with just the front brake for years and so does the majority of flatland riders run only front brakes, but i decided to run brakeless today and i have not got to go test it out because its dark outside now and i got work in the morning but i just removed my brake cable and the brake itself. and the brake lever. what are the things that i should prepare for when i go riding because i know there are hundreds of bmx street riders not using brakes at all.
How do i stop when i'm going at a high speed on my bmx? and how do you guys stop your bikes with no brakes? and also is this going to make learning flatland harder or what?

|

10/8/2013 6:58 PM

honestly if you are not bombing hills or anything fast you should be fine. just be prepared to fall on nose-end tricks a lot

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

10/8/2013 7:13 PM

Jam your foot in the back tire.

|

10/8/2013 7:44 PM

Give it a go. Might me weird for flatland but I'm sure it will feel nice

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/8/2013 10:14 PM

Brakeless flatland riding? Damn! I thought flatland riders relied on brakes for so many of their tricks. I gotta check that video. I don't flatland but am an '80s kid who still is in awe when I see a good flatland session. As far as stopping, I just sit down on my seat and put my feet on the ground with increasing pressure focused towards my heels. Jamming your foot on the back tire works too but I don't do it too often because it feels awkward to me. I manual a lot too, so I'll purposely loop out sometimes too for stopping immediately if I'm not going too fast but it gets painful on the ol' knees.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

10/8/2013 10:33 PM

If not going down hill then you could also carve across the road back and forth if there is no cars.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

10/9/2013 10:49 AM

Flintstone it to stop (drag feet on the ground) or a foot in the back wheel.

As to tricks, expect to be a little squirrelly at first. You won't have the brake to fall back on.

Why not try not using it first, so it is there as a safety net?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/9/2013 10:52 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Flintstone it to stop (drag feet on the ground) or a foot in the back wheel.

As to tricks, expect to be a little squirrelly ...more

This is a good idea! Keep the brake but train yourself to not use it

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨