Bmx DIY customization

Related:
Create New Tag

8/4/2018 6:54 PM

Alrighty, so after seeing Hondacrfracer make those badass splatter sprockets, I got the idea of making a thread where we could brainstorm ideas on how we could do some DIY stuff to our bikes to improve the looks of them. I’ll start:
I’ve gotten black markers out in the past on bikes I have and put designs on them such as words, phrases, etc.
I’ve stenciled stuff on my bikes before as well.
Any of y’all do stuff like this before? Share some ideas or experiences you have done that made your bike look better.
(Note, I may use some of these ideas on that rhythm IL to upgrade the appearance of it considering it’s rather derelict looking state, although that would be a pretty cool theme for it.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/4/2018 7:05 PM

Rawing is pretty diy and there are many different finishes you can do. Matte clear, glossy clear, brushed, straight raw, you can even darken the steel with some methods that are probably corrosive but would still look cool.

Thats probably the most basic of diy finishes but someones gotta mention it...lol

|

8/4/2018 7:06 PM

Thanks for the little shout out dude!smile

And this is a cool idea for a thread!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/4/2018 7:17 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Rawing is pretty diy and there are many different finishes you can do. Matte clear, glossy clear, brushed, straight raw, you ...more

I used to think raw back in the day looked bad, but I always thought a real “rusty” looking raw looked pretty good though.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/5/2018 12:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2018 12:03 AM

Back when I had tons of spare paint last year, I went crazy with having fun with paint. Like, more than anyone should. I had never sanded so many things in that short amount of time, lol.

This was my first attempt at hydro-dipping. I did a stem, seatpost, two BB bolts, barends, and two valve caps. Two shades of light blue, one shade dark blue, and the seafoam base coat that the frame was painted in.

Photo

Photo

A few months down the road, I tried messing with acrylic and more hydro-dipping. The darker parts are three shades of darker blue, the frame, fork, and bar are all base-coated with a light blue, then I brushed three more shades of blue and one shade of grey to add a sort of blue camouflage effect.

Photo

I kinda miss this one above, but I think my current all black and white cables looks stealth.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/5/2018 1:36 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Back when I had tons of spare paint last year, I went crazy with having fun with paint. Like, more than anyone should. I had ...more

Oh man that stem is absolutely beautiful... Nice work.

Apart from the more obvious paint jobs and such, one of my friends redid his seat. It was all worn down and too hard for his taste so he added some foam on it and upholstered it with a new fabric. It actually turned out pretty cool.

|

8/5/2018 2:06 AM

Aaron has recovered a few seats. I've been meaning to send him one to do for me for ages, but the cost of shipping it back and forth puts me off, and I don't have a seat spare to do it with.
I've got a shadow mid railed seat I'd be tempted to try it with, but it's near mint so I keep thinking it must be worth something to someone. I hate wrecking parts that someone else could appreciate

|

8/5/2018 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2018 7:46 AM

Only thing truly "DIY" that I've done, thus far, on my bike is my head tube badge. Although I have been contemplating other stuff.

|

8/5/2018 8:07 AM

A few years ago I made a seat with Simpson’s fabric on it

|

It’s all bmx

8/5/2018 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2018 9:56 AM

i have a vinyl cutter so making decals is easy, ive also wrapped a seat in louis vutton leather from my cousins handbag she left here

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/5/2018 10:02 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i have a vinyl cutter so making decals is easy, ive also wrapped a seat in louis vutton leather from my cousins handbag she ...more

Hope she doesn't want it back haha

|

Hmmm

8/5/2018 10:24 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i have a vinyl cutter so making decals is easy, ive also wrapped a seat in louis vutton leather from my cousins handbag she ...more

Lol that's one luxury seat right there

|

8/5/2018 11:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aaron has recovered a few seats. I've been meaning to send him one to do for me for ages, but the cost of shipping it back and ...more

I plan on doing a bit more with my seats soon. Been in contact with a seat manufacturer.

|

8/6/2018 12:27 PM

I make all my own decals. That's about it.

|

9/6/2018 9:39 AM

I used to make custom head badges for myself and friends by acid etching on thin stamped steel and attaching with double sided tape. My friend makes these wild enameled pins. Been thinking of grinding the pin part off, and gluing it to some shaped craft foam for an even cooler head badge.

|

9/6/2018 9:56 AM

I've seen people stencil (spray paint) things on the side of their tires. Could be cool.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/6/2018 10:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 11:02 AM

Lately I've been playing with the idea of combining joinery with bmx and making something out of wood/plywood for my bike. Obviously best to avoid anything that requires a lot of structural strength but would be interesting to try something, even if it was a small detail

|

9/6/2018 11:12 AM

Mike Fede just made an interesting video on DIY paint jobs and stuff.

|

9/6/2018 11:34 AM

Hmmm where to start

I recovered multiple seats with multiple different cloth types. From jeans to a kinda neoprene stuff.

Custom dual cable piece seeing why spend money on a London mod or something like that when you can make one. I am going to post a DIY on that. It is very easy and if you have a dremal then it’s all but free. Most people have a scrap piece of metal or thick ABS type plastic around. And if you have a dremal (drill even works) you just have to cut the piece and drill a few holes. Paint is optional.

Then different stradle cables types (chain for example)

|