Bmx Re-Issue Custom Build

Related:
Create New Tag

6/25/2014 9:50 PM

So, I am pretty damn bored right now, and I have been just browsing through older and discontinued parts, and youtube videos (including bike checks.... older ones though, like 2011 and before).

And as I was reminiscing through what seemed to me like the more "glory days" kind of bmx, when 8.5 tall bars were huge, 2.25 Fit FAF's were pretty much monster truck tires, and there was not as much " #420blaze yolo swag bunnyhop double barspin to double peg down a rail from 0 to 60 on my plastic pegs and hard 180 to freecoaster tire squeak 4 dayz... and so on "

... I was thinking about how I wish that they could do Re-Issue's of certain parts, which were pretty badass if you ask me, and maybe some of the older colorways too. But not just a few certain parts in general, I had this little thought...
"If I could do a re-issue, of any part, from any company, but not only a few parts, a re-issue of any part, from any company, into a whole custom build. What could that be?

So the question is. If you could do a custom build, out of older/discontinued parts, NOT having to spend any money, what do you think that setup would turn out to be?

I am not saying only parts that are not made anymore, cause obviously there are parts that are not necessarily OLD, just been around for a good while. Anyway.

A setup I would go for, discontinued or not. Would probably be something like this.
I am not going to worry about colors.
Frame: Fit Aitken S3
Headset: Animal Integrated Headset
Forks: Verde Cartel Forks
Stem: Fit DLT
Bars: Federal 20/20 4pc
Grips: Animal Edwins
Seat: Macneil Fat Capitol (The older ones, but I will do a color for this... the Fat Capitol that was like black/grey and had the orange bottom pieces.)
Clamp: Federal Slim
BB: Fit 19mm Mid
Cranks: Shadow Torrid
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted PC (or. Fly Ruben PC)
Sprocket: Fit DL 28T
Chain: Shadow Half Link
Front Tire: Fit FAF 2.3
Rear Tire: Primo Comet 2.10
Rims: Odyssey 7ka
Hubs (F): Shadow Rant
Hubs (R): Primo Mix 9T RHD
Spokes: Shadow or Primo...
Pegs: Primo Binary Light (v1 or 2... don't care)

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

6/25/2014 10:16 PM

My friend has that Orange/Black/Grey MacNeil Fat seat. Thing is a dinosaur.

Anyway, I like most of todays parts. Lighter, stronger, cleaner, overall better. I am against the whole "giant slick tire" trend and the giganto-bars trend, but to each his own. Five years ago I believe there was maybe 2 super tech frames available from well known companies, now there is a huge variety. Sadly it is because of trends, but that doesn't make a difference to me. If long, stable frames were a must-have right now, id still be riding my United Dinero. Its what I like, fuck the trends.

A few parts I like are...

FBM Made Barcode
Odyssey Hazard (non-Lite) and Midway
Gsport 48h hubs
Tree Branch bars
Shadow Ravager sprocket
Odyssey CS2/Dirt Classic fork
FSA Nasty Boy cranks
Odyssey Twisted Metals
Demolition Zero Black-Chrome rims
Kink Blue/Black/Silver Tie-Dye bottom bracket
OG Fly Rims
Eastern Birectional cassette hub
Eastern Burnout and Curbmonkey tires
Hoffman Bama frame
Tree Lil Buddy frame
Fit Blade Lite forks
FBM Crown Royal stem w/ integrated derangler plate
USA Made Tree sprockets
Subrosa DTT OG
Eastern Boss/Dragon
Shadow Penumbra Pivotals
Fly brakes
Duo Rogue Status seat
Duo grips
Duo Resilite PC pedals

All from this era, but they were all the parts i looked for in my danscomp catalogs/what older riders in my area had around the time I first got into BMX. This was RIGHT before all the recent trends started up.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/25/2014 10:29 PM

Sunday Triumph bars, they were perfect. I wish I never got rid of mine.
Shadow Attack stem. Loved that stem, wish I never got rid of it for a lighter, weaker, Strike stem.
Shadow Lighter v2 sprocket. Had two of these, neither one ever bent or failed. Made another dumb decision to replace them.
Sunday Morning 2.1 fork. I broke 2 pairs of these but I liked the look of the shape a bit better than I like the slimmed down Octaves
Demolition Mary-Kate front hub. I had one of these, and it was amazing. Except when the bearing seats started wearing out somehow & the wheel would always sound loose unless I made the locknuts piss tight.
Animal MKII pegs. Best pegs I ever rode, the MKIII pegs look alright but everyone I know who's had them has cracked them. Unless Animal fixed that problem.
KHE Collapse chain, never rode it but I have heard it was a SUPER strong chain. Would loved to have been able to try one out.
Animal Cush seats, liked the way they looked but never bought one. Wouldn't mind now but I already recently got a new seat.
Primo Mix cassette, Primo fucked up big time by getting rid of this hub for the shitty Remix.

Those are mainly what I would bring back, couldn't think of a whole build but yeah.

|

6/25/2014 10:36 PM

Premium Deathtrap 20.5 in mint blue
Premium Whiskey bars in chrome 8.25
Odyssey Twombolt cranks

That's about it. I ain't old school really.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/26/2014 1:49 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My friend has that Orange/Black/Grey MacNeil Fat seat. Thing is a dinosaur.

Anyway, I like most of todays parts. Lighter, ...more

Slick tires are not bad, they grip pretty good.
Anyways, those odyssey twisted metal pedals are still being sold in most spanish shops xD.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/26/2014 5:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2014 5:33 AM

Terrible One Nate Wessel Barcode 20.6" Red
S&M Pitchforks Raw Gloss Clear
Chris King Headset Polished
Animal Jump Off Stem L.E Purple
*Mind Blank* I had some Raw Bars too! 7.625 x 25", 4-Up, 10-Back
Tech 77 Right Hand Lever Black/Polished
Dragonfly Duel Uppers Red
Odyssey GTX-R Gyro Black
Odyssey Slick x 2 Red
Dia-Tech Hombre with Fiesta Kit Polished
Animal Edwin Grips Black
Macneil Stainless Bar End Caps Raw
Primo Hemmeroid Seat Black/Black
Perv Seat Post Black/Silver
Primo Viking Seat Clamp Black
KMC Heavy Duty Chain Silver/Black
Macneil Bash Guard Sprocket 36t Black
Primo Powerbites 175mm Black
S&M 22mm US BB?
Primo Pro Mag Sealed Tenderizer Pedals Silver
Primo Dirt Monster/Primo Comet/Animal GLH/Maxxis Max Daddy
Heavy Duty Inner Tube
Primo Hula Hoop 48h Rim Chrome
G-Sport Vandal 48h 14mm Female Front Hub Polished
G-Sport Vandal Spokes x 48 Silver
Primo Stiffies Peg x 2 Black (Think that's what they were called!? They were Ribbed lol)
Primo Comet/Animal GLH/Animal ASM
Heavy Duty Inner Tube
Primo Hula Hoop 48h Rim Chrome
G-Sport Vandal 48h 14mm Female Rear Hub Polished
ACS 14t Freewheel
G-Sport Vandal Spokes x 48 Silver
Primo Stiffies Peg x 2 Black

I miss that Bike greatly!!! It took a few shapes & forms over the couple years I owned it, but that was probably the best it ever was!

I never owned the Purple Jump Off btw, just wanted one desperately!

|

6/26/2014 5:46 AM

Topsey wrote:

Animal Jump Off Stem ...more

Is it a Purple Jump Off Remix you wanted? Because that exact stem is on sale on Chain Reaction at the moment for £20.

|

6/26/2014 5:54 AM

Nope the O.G Jump Off, the one they only made 100 of in memory of tiseo, they're like gold dust & pixie farts Mate! Cost the same now too!!

|

6/26/2014 6:04 AM

Yeah, I thought it probably wasn't but I wasn't 100% sure.

|

6/26/2014 7:15 AM

Topsey wrote:

Animal Jump Off Stem ...more

Not completely raw AND with brakes!

|

6/26/2014 7:16 AM

I think we should just continue to make new parts and not linger in the days before that. What they should do is take, say, the Aitken s3.5 (i cracked it once and got it welded and apparently there were more than just those) and they should make it better. Make the tubing out of something not supertherm, but maybe Mugen or Reynolds Chromoly. They could add a toptube gusset, D shaped chainstays, Change the shape of the downtube, make the dropouts thicker, make the seattube toptube junction miter cut, and overall just do bigger welds on the frame.

Itd be called the Aitken s1000 and be a little heavier and nicer overall, but still pretty light.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/26/2014 7:36 AM

A Redline RL20 II with modern geometry, 990 brakes, and 21" TT in Red/ Chrome, Teal/Chrome or Yellow/Chrome fade. Minus the chainstay platforms.

|

6/26/2014 8:37 AM

Updated supergoose with the toptube/downtube plate gusset

|

6/26/2014 11:43 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Not completely raw AND with brakes!

Haha Yup! I used to have a Macneil Gary Young V2 with Fronts & Backs, Gyro, 4 Pegs, Coaster the whole Shebang! I do believe I have photos of it on My photobucket, but as My Laptop has a corrupted Hard Drive & I'm on My Dad's Kindle, it'd be a Fucking Challenge to find it! MIGHT be on My FaceFuck page actually :-S

|