Bmx chain slip

Related:
Create New Tag

5/25/2016 4:54 PM

Hey guys so I recently bought a kink liberty bike off a guy on craiglist and when i went to go look at it i wasn't able to ride it since the chain wasn't on so once i got home put the chain on and started to ride it around i noticed that as i picked up speed and started to pedal harder the bike chain and pedals seemed to slip and each time i cranked the right pedal and crank down and every time it slips, it makes a loud clang like noise. When i brang it to my local bike shop last night the guy said my driver was worn out and thats why it was slipping. After inspecting the driver myself it didnt seem like it was that worn out and i am sort of skepitical if it is really that worn out. Here is a picture of it.Photo

I would just like u guys to tell me what you think is wrong or if there is anything else i can do to fix the problem. All responses are deeply appreciated thank you.

|

5/25/2016 5:16 PM

The driver could be worn out in the inside, get an adjustable wrench and unscrew the bolt that's in front of the driver and check if the ribs are still intact, but it's highly unlikely that that's the problem. Also have you inspected the sprocket, the teeth on the sprocket could be damaged or even missing or even rounded out. Also check the chain

|

5/25/2016 5:21 PM

Macalin wrote:

The driver could be worn out in the inside, get an adjustable wrench and unscrew the bolt that's in front of the driver and ...more

The inside of the driver doesnt really look worn out but i havent really checked the sprocket or chain.

|

5/25/2016 5:28 PM

Ya deffinately check those out especially the sprocket

|

5/25/2016 5:37 PM

Might be something internally-the pawls and springs might have an issue, could be the sprocket causing issues.

Driver doesn't look really worn at all. I would see if you can get a decent video of the slippage.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/25/2016 5:57 PM

Driver LOOKS fine, but looks can be deceiving. Maybe it's the hub bearings?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/25/2016 6:01 PM

Probably blew your bearings or your chain isn't aligned , there's always some weird bullshit in hubs that fucks something up but the driver itself looks ok . If all your teeth on the sprocket are fine I'd say get new bearings if you can afford it and maybe ask and see about the chain alignment getting fixed / improved and if it's still fucked after that then it's the pawls and what not .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/25/2016 6:02 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Might be something internally-the pawls and springs might have an issue, could be the sprocket causing issues.

Driver doesn't ...more

Ok i currently have the rear wheel off the bike but if i put it back on soon and its not fixed then i will post a video.

|

5/25/2016 6:36 PM

New driver bearing + new chain and you're probably good.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

5/25/2016 7:47 PM

Get new Pawls and springs

|

5/25/2016 10:22 PM

It's all been said really. Springs and pawls could need replacing, chainline could be wafty, sprocket could be slightly bent, chain and sprocket could be really worn, chain could be too slack

|

5/26/2016 1:39 AM

Show us your sprocket and sprocket boss, sounds exactly the same as when I broke my sprocket, loupe pop/bang, and then a lot of slippage till it caught a new drive positionz and nor slippage as it bends the new drive position by not being properly mou Ted in it, creaking or popping as it cracks and stresses.

|