Bmx chain won’t fit on both gears but it’s the same chain I’ve been using for years

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2020 5:01 PM

I did not get a chain replacement and wanted to start using my bmx again but when I go to put the chain back on the gears it won’t fit I’ve used the bike before and it was perfect

|

1/23/2020 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2020 5:38 PM

Do you mean the chain is too long/too short?

Or do you mean the way the chain sits on the gears doesn’t run smoothly?

Or is the chain too narrrow/wide to fit the teeth?

In what way does it not work?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/23/2020 5:58 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Do you mean the chain is too long/too short?

Or do you mean the way the chain sits on the gears doesn’t run smoothly?

Or is the chain too narrrow/wide to fit the teeth?

In what way does it not work?

The chain is too narrow but it’s the chain that came with the bike so I’m not sure if I just have to go to my bike shop or if I can fix it at home

|

1/23/2020 6:25 PM

Michael_Khangamwa wrote:

The chain is too narrow but it’s the chain that came with the bike so I’m not sure if I just have to go to my bike shop or if I can fix it at home

Sounds like you have a 3/32", instead of the 1/8" chain you should have, ie. it's not actually the same chain.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/23/2020 9:03 PM

There's only one logical explanation here.....

Sorcery!

|

1/23/2020 9:47 PM

I agree with p1, there's a chance that your sprocket/driver has worm out to the point where the chain won't fit, but that's very, very unlikely.

|

1/25/2020 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2020 11:54 AM

There is no way a chain would fit width-wise one day and not the next, unless components were switched out or the chain/sprocket/driver was very badly damaged.

You got any pics of the situation?

|

1/25/2020 12:06 PM

I'm guessing you have a different pitch chain, you need to find your other chain.

|

1/26/2020 9:48 AM

Yeah, it really sounds like you have the wrong chain. Chains can stretch, but not narrow in over time.

|

2/5/2020 3:21 AM

I don't thinik you explaining this very well. no one understands whats going on. post pics

|

2/5/2020 12:33 PM

Michael_Khangamwa wrote:

I did not get a chain replacement and wanted to start using my bmx again but when I go to put the chain back on the gears it won’t fit I’ve used the bike before and it was perfect

I had the same problem when I put a different back rim on my bike. I just had to switch chain's. Got lucky and had one laying around.. I don't know shit about all these numbers. Back in my era erything was interchangeable

|

2/5/2020 1:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2020 2:05 PM

Rizok_Dtdis wrote:

I had the same problem when I put a different back rim on my bike. I just had to switch chain's. Got lucky and had one laying around.. I don't know shit about all these numbers. Back in my era erything was interchangeable

What does your rim have to do with your chain?

Since changeable bike gears were invented, there's been a need for narrower chains to avoid having the chain clip on larger cogs: [link] This is why there are different sizes around these days. To complicate it further, some freewheels and (IIRC)drivers run 3/32". General rule is: if it's for a bmx, put a 1/2"x1/8" on as it'll work on both 1/8" cogs and 3/32" cogs.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/5/2020 2:35 PM

Michael_Khangamwa wrote:

Rizok_Dtdis wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

What does your rim have to do with your chain?

Since changeable bike gears were invented, there's been a need for narrower chains to avoid having the chain clip on larger cogs: [link] This is why there are different sizes around these days. To complicate it further, some freewheels and (IIRC)drivers run 3/32". General rule is: if it's for a bmx, put a 1/2"x1/8" on as it'll work on both 1/8" cogs and 3/32" cogs.

A lot of people mistake the term "rim" for "wheel".

For Rizok

-Wheel is usually a term used to describe the entire assembly (Rim, spokes, nipples, Tire, tube, rim strip, hub shell, axle, driver, etc.)

-Rim is the hoop like object that the tire mounts to.

|

2/19/2020 11:51 AM

”same chain & years”?
Get a proper, new chain

|

Come, as you are. As you were. As “they” want you to be....