Bmx stance

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2016 2:34 PM

How do I know what's my stance and whats switch?
Im new to bmx *

|

1/18/2016 2:38 PM

Ride your bike down the street, stop pedaling and then look at your feet. Which ever one is in front is your natural front foot.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

1/18/2016 2:45 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Ride your bike down the street, stop pedaling and then look at your feet. Which ever one is in front is your natural front ...more

Thanks
And whats switch ?

|

1/18/2016 3:16 PM

Switch is when you ride with the other foot in front. It makes everything harder but some people think it's cool.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

1/18/2016 8:53 PM

hey not trying to hijack, i have a related stance question i've been wondering about i noticed my natural front foot is right, but it feels unnatural (and really awkward) to kick off with it. i use my left to get things in motion. is this a bad habit that'll get in the way of tricks later? (sorry if this should be a new thread)

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

1/18/2016 9:02 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Switch is when you ride with the other foot in front. It makes everything harder but some people think it's cool.

I think it should be noted that "Switch" can have a few different meanings depending on who you ask though

There's the meaning that you mentioned, switch footed, which is just switching your feet to do whatever trick.

Then there's the switch that is just the opposite of whichever way you normally do a trick (IE: if you 180 to the left normally, then doing it to the right is considered switch) which most people call opposite or oppo. I tend to use both depending what I feel like saying haha

So yeah. I think a good way to figure out your stance might be to try sliding on ice/a slippery surface, and whichever foot you lead with would be your forward foot when you ride. Not sure if that's true though, a friend of mine came up with that a couple years ago and it's true for me but idk about everyone else.

|

1/19/2016 12:17 AM

I think calling an opposite trick switch is misleading. It's not switch, it's opposite! Same with people calling a half cab a cab. Anyway...

Just ride how it feels natural, there's no wrong or right way to stand, or spin etc.

|

1/19/2016 12:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think calling an opposite trick switch is misleading. It's not switch, it's opposite! Same with people calling a half cab a ...more

Toma(y)to, toma(h)to.

I think Adam said it best

http://thecomeup.com/ask/opposite-is-obsolete/

|

1/19/2016 12:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2016 1:53 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I think it should be noted that "Switch" can have a few different meanings depending on who you ask though

There's the ...more

Bad technique on the last paragraph, it would may work for some people but... If I try to run and slip, my leading front foot would be the right foot (like when I am on a snowboard (or any board)) but I ride my bike with my left foot forward.

So I started thinking, "okay I'm left legged, so the backfoot make 90% of the job on a snowboard and this same foot is forward for bmx, logical"

That was until, I learned to a skier friend how to ride a snowboard and a bike, we ride snowbard the same way but we have a different foot forward on the bike so... finally there's no real technique to know what foot put forward, just try and let the feeling do.

|

1/19/2016 7:27 AM

I'm always right foot forward whatever I do. But I used to skateboard, and some nollie tricks I found easier than regular tricks, and found them easier than the exact same thing but switch instead of rolling forward. I think skateboarding is the reason I get funny about trick names. Especially when it comes to switch or opposite. A lot of bmx tricks are named after skate tricks (feeble, smith, nollie, cab etc). And switch on a skateboard means switch. You can't do opposite tricks, just frontside or backside, which you can't do on a bike. To me, switch means unnatural foot forward. Not trying to argue about it, everyone will see things differently. Adam grandmaisons opinion means very little to me though.

|

1/19/2016 12:20 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

There's the ...more

I am the exception to the sliding on ice thing.

Left foot forward on the bike, right foot forward on a snowboard, skateboard, scooter, sliding on ice.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/19/2016 1:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm always right foot forward whatever I do. But I used to skateboard, and some nollie tricks I found easier than regular ...more

That makes sense, I wasn't trying to argue either. I don't care for Adam much but that was one thing I could agree on with him cause it's exactly why I say "switch" more than "opposite" just cause it rolls off the tongue better and is less to say. I still use both, just depending what I feel like saying that day I guess.

I guess Francky & Dave debunked my sliding foot theory though haha

|