Bmx tires

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2016 12:24 PM

I run a 2.25 in front and 2.3 in back is that good or no. Does is make a difference

|

9/5/2016 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2016 1:17 PM

It won't make a monumental difference, but, generally, riders run a fatter tire in the front and a smaller in the rear. If not, then they ride two tires of the same size. Not only for cosmetics, but functionality.

The rear wheel tends to move about when grinding simply because the rear dropouts are adjustable to accomodate different chains and whatnot. The means that, should the tire become slightly out of line, the bike is still 100% rideable and won't rub against the frame. The front wheel will rarely see such a circumstance since the axle sits in a fixed dropout. Of course, if you don't run pegs, this won't matter as much.

Same goes for brakes, no rubbing against the brake arms if the wheel moves slightly.

Some say smaller tires help with manuals and back tire tricks, but I personally haven't found any difference. However, everyone's different, if it works for you and you don't mind, there's no problem. I recommend keeping your setup as is ONLY if the less worn tire is up front.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/5/2016 1:20 PM

The whole wider front tyre, narrower rear tyre comes from racing. A more aggressive, wider tyre on the front gives better traction (more grip, but also not as fast). A narrower rear tyre is faster and saves a bit of weight, rear tyres don't often slide out (and you won't crash anywhere near as badly if it does), so they don't need as much traction.

The same principle still applies no matter what you ride though. Narrow tyres are less likely to rub on the ledge while grinding, so they won't slow you down as much. I find wide tyres feel really slow and sluggish when at a reasonable pressure, so I prefer a narrower tyre. Narrow tyres are also more responsive, so it depends what you want in that sense too, speed or stability

|

9/5/2016 1:21 PM

readybmxer wrote:

It won't make a monumental difference, but, generally, riders run a fatter tire in the front and a smaller in the rear. If ...more

It's a toga 2.25 in front and a maxxis 2.3. Just saying and is a maxxis 20x2.1 good and Is it good on a 20x1.95 rim

|

9/6/2016 9:40 AM

Aidan 281 wrote:

It's a toga 2.25 in front and a maxxis 2.3. Just saying and is a maxxis 20x2.1 good and Is it good on a 20x1.95 rim

All 20" rims will fit a 20" tire. Which Maxxis tire are you referring to?

|

@scootereyn

9/6/2016 12:06 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Maxxis grifter

|

9/6/2016 3:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2016 3:56 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Not true.

There are 20X1 1/8" racing rims that have a different diamater than your standard 20" freestyle rim, and they are NOT interchangeable.

As to width, you should be fine OP, inflated width comes into play as well.

I had Demolition Momentum 2.20 width tires and now have Primo WLTs that are 2.3 and are NARROWER than the Demolition tires.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/7/2016 12:19 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Not true.

There are 20X1 1/8" racing rims that have a different diamater than your standard 20" freestyle rim, and they are ...more

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info!

As for the Grifter, I hear lots of good things about it.

|

@scootereyn