Bmx training

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2020 10:59 AM

As it gets cold and miserable out, does anyone have any beneficial training tips than could be done indoors?

For example laying on your back with the bike, does anyone find this beneficial?

Obviously I’ll be weight training all winter as I think everyone should weight train regardless and since indoor skateparks are open I can go to them but that’s not as easy as hopping on a bike and going right from the house

|

12/6/2020 11:02 AM

i'd find an indoor skatepark.

|

12/6/2020 11:11 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

i'd find an indoor skatepark.

That’s the weekend plan...but during the week I usually end work and just hop on and go street riding for an hour or two

|

12/6/2020 11:15 AM

maybe try studying film. get to know some of the riders and how they ride.

|

12/6/2020 12:12 PM

Indoor diving boards I like to hit up , get some air awareness and endrurance

|

12/6/2020 12:14 PM

Hop bars in the living room, while watching vintage BMX movies...

|

12/6/2020 12:51 PM

Manual machine is my plan

|

12/6/2020 12:57 PM

Riding outside anyway. Get the pjs under the jeans, gloves, 5 layers, etc. Of course if it snows and can't hit an indoor you're SOL

|

12/6/2020 1:54 PM

Brandon_Jontz wrote:

How do you make one ?

|

12/6/2020 2:18 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Oh and if you live in an upper floor apartment...

Yes

|

12/6/2020 3:27 PM

Brandon_Jontz wrote:

Nothingspecial13 wrote:

How do you make one ?

Here's a video, cheapest and easiest way to make one. Video is in french but you'll understand how it works anyway. ">

|

12/6/2020 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2020 3:39 PM

If you're a beginner at manuals you want to make the machine higher on the sides (2 pieces of wood on top of each other instead of just 1).
Your bike will be more stable laterally and it helps a lot at first.
Let us know how it works for you!

|

12/6/2020 4:25 PM

Brandon_Jontz wrote:

Actually surprised more companies don’t make them, seems like something park tools or subrosa would do

|

12/6/2020 4:28 PM

When there’s too much snow outside sometimes I just stand on my bike in my tiny basement and see how long I can go without putting a foot down

|

12/6/2020 5:36 PM

This thing was epic that i saw on tall order for nose manuals.

https://tallorderbmx.com/blogs/news/bmx-tricks-you-can-learn-at-home-during-the-lockdown

|

Husky Nation Member

12/6/2020 6:15 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Dont know many more aside from Rad. What bmx movies can you recommend?

|

12/6/2020 7:33 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Vic707b wrote:

Dont know many more aside from Rad. What bmx movies can you recommend?

Well not necessarily "movies" just footage from back in the day.. There's tons of stuff on YouTube..

And Ground Rules, is Church, if not Bible of BMX...

|

12/6/2020 9:27 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever trained or practiced other than just riding my bike. Up until a couple of years ago I’d layer up and go out anyway. Now I’d rather drink coffee and watch my favourite videos. If I get stoked enough I’ll go out. Or force myself to take advantage of the weather if it’s a reasonably nice day.

New parts or changing your set up is great motivation to go out for a nibble no matter how cold it is

|

12/7/2020 12:45 AM

i practice edging, i couldn’t really last too long especially if she was a looker so i started edging a ton like every single day for 20 minutes and now i can last like 8 hours

|

13 years old

12/7/2020 4:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2020 4:58 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever trained or practiced other than just riding my bike. Up until a couple of years ago I’d layer up and ...more

haha yeah we used to build snow jumps for our bmx, almost became a foam pit of sorts

i ride about a half hour to get to the good spots, so when it's cold i don't like venturing down that far, i do ride an abandoned tennis court that i dubbed the training ground for manuals, and hop tricks but you could only do that for so long....the tennis court has metal benches i want to pull from the grass on the cement but i swear the things are filled with cement or something

|

12/7/2020 6:13 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever trained or practiced other than just riding my bike. Up until a couple of years ago I’d layer up and ...more

younggotti wrote:

haha yeah we used to build snow jumps for our bmx, almost became a foam pit of sorts

i ride about a half hour to get to the ...more

Warming up to ride in the cold is the worst part. There’s spots right near me, but not really anywhere to have a proper pedal around and warm up.

Sounds like moving the benches would be worthwhile though. Or if it’s not too far maybe get a subrosa rail?

|

12/7/2020 9:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2020 9:40 AM

.pegless. wrote:

younggotti wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Warming up to ride in the cold is the worst part. There’s spots right near me, but not really anywhere to have a proper pedal ...more

i thought about getting a rail, just really pricey, might just make my own...i'd love to turn the tennis court into a mini diy but even though i'm the only one who is ever there the cops do go down there and i'd hate to get my stuff taken or fined

i picked up 2 mini plastic jumps over the summer at a yardsale and would also put those in the tennis court but they are junk and slide, i'd love to take a bit of concreate to hold them in place but the court is at a park and i don't think that would be allowed once someone saw

|

12/7/2020 10:21 AM

I do a few kettlebell exercises: swings, deadlift/upright-rows, cleans/thrusters/windmills, and front/back lunges. I know OP you do "weight training" so it wouldn't be a big shift trying KB's, but I believe that low-weight, explosive, movement-based exercises will train your body more applicably for BMX than traditional weight lifting, if that's what you're already doing.

|

I get big airs off small things

12/7/2020 12:18 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I do a few kettlebell exercises: swings, deadlift/upright-rows, cleans/thrusters/windmills, and front/back lunges. I know OP ...more

yeah i use kettlebells at home..my gym is a damn free for all at this point so i've been staying away but i use them at home in my "home gym"

i've been weight training for a long time at this point, my days of squatting over 400lbs are over, so yeah it's mostly lower weights and more explosive movements

|

12/7/2020 12:26 PM

younggotti wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Warming up to ride in the cold is the worst part. There’s spots right near me, but not really anywhere to have a proper pedal ...more

younggotti wrote:

i thought about getting a rail, just really pricey, might just make my own...i'd love to turn the tennis court into a mini diy ...more

If you’re not getting bothered too much it’ll be worth getting something there. Even if it’s just cones and a couple of pallets you can stash away that look more inconspicuous

|

12/7/2020 12:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2020 12:35 PM

younggotti wrote:

yeah i use kettlebells at home..my gym is a damn free for all at this point so i've been staying away but i use them at home ...more

Oh, good then we're on the same page. I feel like the exercises I mentioned are specifically good for BMX. I do swings and deads/rows double handed, everything else one handed both sides. I let it hang for lunges. There's also a single-hand slow dead I do from a lunge position when I need to rehab my lower back and hips. Mostly I focus on things that strengthen my lower core, glutes, hips, and thighs. Also, I've heard that reverse hypers are good for butt strength, but I don't have a good setup to do those.

|

12/7/2020 2:15 PM

NIce to see some other guys into strength training. I just do full body 3 days per week and follow Wendler's 5/3/1 routine. Not a ton of volume and easy to recover from with the built-in deload every 3 weeks. Slow and steady progress.

When I can't ride due to weather I watch a lot of BMX videos and I also juggle. I feel like it keeps your hand eye coordination and reaction time up to speed. Wrestling/BJJ and martial arts have gotten me through a few winters too when I still lived up north. You've already built pathways for complicated movements through riding so learning something new tends to be easier and keeps your skills sharp. They both play on one another. However that might be harder to get into now with the pandemic.

|

12/7/2020 2:25 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

NIce to see some other guys into strength training. I just do full body 3 days per week and follow Wendler's 5/3/1 routine. ...more

I have often called BMX "bike wrestling". It's definitely the martial art of the cycling world.

|

12/7/2020 3:57 PM

I have a home gym in the basement that I hit most nights after dinner. Weights, heavy bag, some calisthenics stuff, and about 10'x15' floor space if I want to jump on the bike and do some balance work. Or when my wife is bingeing on baking shows I'll just hang out down there on the manual machine and watching something else on the kids' tv. Also cleaned and swept my garage the other day so I have a little more room to ride if I get desperate. I ride outside a bit in the winter, as long as the roads are dry and temps are in the teens or better.

I used to be the "Training? Just go ride" type, but once I started thinking of it as training, I got better *and* got a bit less frustrated.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

12/8/2020 1:05 AM

i seriously feel like that is unnecessary. maybe a movie instead?

|