Bmx weight, whats considered the best?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2016 12:06 PM

I always look for Bmx's on the lighter side but on average bikes seam to be around 25 - 26lbs, is this too heavy? What would you guys consider the best weight for a bmx?

|

8/11/2016 12:09 PM

40 lbs bikes are the best

|

It’s all bmx

8/11/2016 12:25 PM

I really doubt that youre going to find a stock bike thats under 24lbs, most bikes under that weight are usually custom or have holes cut in them which I wouldn't recommend. It's better to have a bike with some weight anyway its a better workout and gives you more control in the air.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

8/11/2016 12:35 PM

The best weight is one you like.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/11/2016 1:43 PM

This. Plus, you'll grow accustomed to your bike as time goes on.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/11/2016 3:17 PM

I have a 24lb bike. 23.8, to be exact. It's light as a feather.

|

8/11/2016 5:10 PM

I weighed mine in at 30 with 4 metal pegs and a guarded sprocket. 25-28 feels good for me.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

8/11/2016 6:00 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I weighed mine in at 30 with 4 metal pegs and a guarded sprocket. 25-28 feels good for me.

That's probably what most "street" bikes wil be , mine is probably 29 easily . Light bikes are too damn easy to spin and loop out !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/11/2016 7:01 PM

My bike weighs about 20 lbs with brakes.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/11/2016 7:21 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

That's probably what most "street" bikes wil be , mine is probably 29 easily . Light bikes are too damn easy to spin and loop ...more

Yea, that's for sure. Manuals have gotten a bit easier with 2 pegs in back. My front end is still light cause I run 2 titanium odyssey pegs.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

8/12/2016 1:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2016 8:11 AM

My old bike weighed around 21lbs and it felt horrible. Haven't weighed my current bike because I don't care enough, it feels awesome and that's good enough for me. A few people have picked it up and thought it was heavy (especially for a pegless brakeless bike, with alloy female 3/8th axles front and rear). I'm guessing most of the weight is in the frame. But it feels solid and stable, yet the geometry keeps it nimble.

EDIT: weighed my bike out of curiosity, it's just over 23lbs haha.

I think it would be hard to make a bike weigh 30lbs these days, unless you had 4 heavy pegs, guarded sprocket, half link chain, 2 brakes, gyro, and the heaviest parts on the market. Back when everyone first started being concerned with weight I weighed my old s&m pbr. I didn't try to make it light, just had good parts on it, and it weighed 27lbs (that's with a US bb, 36t sprocket, railed seat etc. Just about every bike part available back then was heavier than it is now)

|

8/12/2016 6:08 AM

That's probably what most "street" bikes wil be , mine is probably 29 easily . Light bikes are too damn easy to spin and loop ...more

So true, one of the dudes I ride with has a light bike its super awkward damn thing felt like a scooter

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

8/12/2016 8:41 PM

28lbs with 4 metal pegs and a coaster.

Photo

|

8/13/2016 6:29 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

So true, one of the dudes I ride with has a light bike its super awkward damn thing felt like a scooter

Short rear ends and low standover make things feel like a scooter. My most likely 21lb laird (13.6 cs and 8.7 SO) weighs was less than my buddies alvx (4 pegs etc) and mine is way more stable when doing anything.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

8/13/2016 6:40 AM

When I drink muscle milk, my bike weighs 23 lbs

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

8/13/2016 10:58 AM

funny that in the MTB world weight is a huge issue to most, but I never ever really considered it in BMX world...for me strength and endurance over shadow weight....really in both worlds. Probably b/c I don't race. My bikes need to last since I am poor, so I buy more for endurance...

My MTB weighs around 34lbs (steel frame, fully rigid...it is like a big BMX in many ways) I think, and people always ask me how I can stand to pedal around that much weight. It never really even crossed my mind. I honestly don't even know how much my BMX weighs.

Unless you are racing for large sums of money, I don't think weight should be an issue beyond the comfort of your ride.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/14/2016 11:46 AM

Four wrote:

My bike weighs about 20 lbs with brakes.

Damn dude that's light as fuck

|

8/14/2016 8:48 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The best weight is one you like.

+1

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

8/15/2016 4:11 AM

ricky veronics is the best

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

8/15/2016 9:18 AM

aussiebmxer wrote:

ricky veronics is the best

What I would give to hop on Ricky's bike and go for a ride. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/15/2016 10:35 AM

To me at least, anything under about 23 feels twitchy, (like if you turned the sensitivity on a PS4 controller too high), and anything over about 26 feels sluggish.

I aim for 24-25.

|

8/15/2016 3:25 PM

Mine with 4 pegs (2 plastic 2 sleeved alloy), front brakes, and rear brakes with dual upper and lower cables came in at 28-29 lbs with a guarded sprocket, half link chain and a coaster.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura