Boost button

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2017 9:48 AM

Ok guys mid school dude here bmx has changed a good bit since when I first started to now and one thing I really need to learn but cannot quiet get it is boosting off a box or double can anyone explain how to properly do it I understand go fast pull up I always over shoot and land flat I tried searching for videos but all I got was Dugan ripping out of a quarter thanks in advanced

Bryan

|

3/5/2017 10:21 AM

You kind of just do a big hop as you come off the lip. Instead of using the shape of the lip to determine the angle you go into the air, imagine it's a foot or so taller than it actually is, so you continue lifting up until your completely off the lip. I guess, I'm bad at explaining things

|

3/5/2017 10:26 AM

You mean going for height rather than distance?

It really depends on the height and shape of the kicker but you can get height from anything if you try hard enough. You want a decent amount of speed and start pulling back a little as soon as you hit the bottom of the kicker. The further up the kicker you go, the more you need to pull back. It's almost like trying to manual up the quarter or kicker except you keep the front wheel down and you do end up manualling a tiny bit once your front wheel comes off the lip. How much you end up pulling back depends on the balance of distance and height you're going for.

If you want to air a quarter, start pulling back a little as soon as you hit the bottom of the quarter and keep pulling back more and more until you're in the air. After that your only problem is landing, just aim your front wheel to land about a foot down from the top. That way you can get a decent bit of speed and pump out of it without the worry of nose casing. It's almost the same thing for spines but you don't pull back quite as hard off the lip.

If you want to get height across a double or jump box, it's the same thing as the above except you don't pull back as much.

All that said, don't jerk it back too hard or you'll end up in a flip. A nice, gradual pull back will get you a lot of height, especially as you start to figure out the balance between distance and height.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/5/2017 11:19 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

You mean going for height rather than distance?

It really depends on the height and shape of the kicker but you can get height from anything if you try hard enough. You want a decent amount of speed and start pulling back a little as soon as you hit the bottom of the kicker. The further up the kicker you go, the more you need to pull back. It's almost like trying to manual up the quarter or kicker except you keep the front wheel down and you do end up manualling a tiny bit once your front wheel comes off the lip. How much you end up pulling back depends on the balance of distance and height you're going for.

If you want to air a quarter, start pulling back a little as soon as you hit the bottom of the quarter and keep pulling back more and more until you're in the air. After that your only problem is landing, just aim your front wheel to land about a foot down from the top. That way you can get a decent bit of speed and pump out of it without the worry of nose casing. It's almost the same thing for spines but you don't pull back quite as hard off the lip.

If you want to get height across a double or jump box, it's the same thing as the above except you don't pull back as much.

All that said, don't jerk it back too hard or you'll end up in a flip. A nice, gradual pull back will get you a lot of height, especially as you start to figure out the balance between distance and height.

So essentially I'm pulling towards my chest in a smooth motion

|

3/5/2017 11:55 AM

bguminey wrote:

So essentially I'm pulling towards my chest in a smooth motion

Yes and no, your whole body does the motion so, your chest will move back as you pull back. If you can manual, you can probably do the motion.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/5/2017 12:14 PM

To make it quick, the more you push on the ground "the more the ground will push you in the air" valid as much for bunny hops as for boosting quarters and box jumps, speed matters alot too for these last two.

|

3/5/2017 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 12:31 PM

Francky wrote:

To make it quick, the more you push on the ground "the more the ground will push you in the air" valid as much for bunny hops as for boosting quarters and box jumps, speed matters alot too for these last two.

You mean preload?

Speed matters but not as much as a good pull back. I can get easily five feet out of a five foot quarter with the same speed I see people barely get over coping with or a tiny bit faster, I certainly don't need to haul ass to get height but it does help.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/5/2017 1:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 1:14 PM

Francky wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

You mean preload?

Speed matters but not as much as a good pull back. I can get easily five feet out of a five foot quarter with the same speed I see people barely get over coping with or a tiny bit faster, I certainly don't need to haul ass to get height but it does help.

I guess yeah, I don't know the good terms, but yeah lower the body weight, bend those knees, then push the ground and pull hard to go high. Those are linked, the harder you push, the harder you'll be able to pull.

100% true about the speed not making everything, pump and pull are far more important, speed is just a little help.

|

3/5/2017 1:38 PM

I wish I could see a slo mo video to really wrap my head around this

|

3/5/2017 4:19 PM

bguminey wrote:

I wish I could see a slo mo video to really wrap my head around this

Find a youtube video, like the one you mentioned earlier of Tom Dugan and use the speed controls. Slowmo doesn't make it much easier to see but it might help a little.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/5/2017 4:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 4:25 PM

It's got a lot to do with pumping the transitions/ speed and bunny hopping. Practice all 3 and then once your comfortable with that you can go to the box and start slow and low and build up from there, if your looking for more in depth on those 3 there are plenty of bmx how to vids that could be excellent for you, just use a search engine or hit up youtube and you'll definitely find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

|

3/5/2017 4:55 PM

Cellmember wrote:

It's got a lot to do with pumping the transitions/ speed and bunny hopping. Practice all 3 and then once your comfortable with that you can go to the box and start slow and low and build up from there, if your looking for more in depth on those 3 there are plenty of bmx how to vids that could be excellent for you, just use a search engine or hit up youtube and you'll definitely find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

I can pump extremely well I raced for 7yrs and my hops are decent for a trail rider first guy I don't ride street so I'll work on it, would it be like basically bunny hoping off the lip

|

3/5/2017 5:05 PM

bguminey wrote:

I can pump extremely well I raced for 7yrs and my hops are decent for a trail rider first guy I don't ride street so I'll work on it, would it be like basically bunny hoping off the lip

Oh cool, well then you are pretty much good to go then ! Firstly it's being familiar with the box, I'd suggest just jumping it normally and if you can keep doing to till you get a good feel for that box than it's pretty much just speed and hopping to get higher obviously start low and work your way up higher the more comfortable you get with it, you'll get it no question.

|

3/5/2017 5:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 5:09 PM

bguminey wrote:

Seeing as you have race experience, it's like going from the bottom of a roller to the top only at the top, you keep pulling back until you peak out.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 4:48 AM

|

3/7/2017 4:55 PM

Try putting something in front of the lip and jump over it. SOMETHING THAT CAN TIP OVER/CRUSH IF NEED BE>

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura