Bottom Bracket Tube Spacer

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2017 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2017 8:15 PM

So I just got a new Odyssey bottom bracket today and I installed it and the tube spacer was too long and the one of the bearings was sticking out the frame a bit and I took the tube spacer out and cut it down a little and I went to put it back together again and the tube spacer is a little too short now to were it doesn't stay pushed against the bearings so like when I take the spindle out it falls to the bottom of the bottom bracket housing and when I put the spindle back in I have to hold the spacer with my finger and then slide the spindle through... so I dont know if that's ok or if I'm better off just taking it out.... Thanks in advance!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/3/2017 8:14 PM

Add some thin crank spacers. Don't just take it out, you need it. Despite what the retards on thecomeup group on Facebook will say, it's necessary if you want your BB to last long and spin well.

|

9/3/2017 10:23 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Add some thin crank spacers. Don't just take it out, you need it. Despite what the retards on thecomeup group on Facebook will ...more

That, usually you get a couple of different width spacers, just play around until it's nice. Or use your old tube spacer

|

9/3/2017 10:32 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Add some thin crank spacers. Don't just take it out, you need it. Despite what the retards on thecomeup group on Facebook will ...more

Ok... I thought about adding cranks spacers to the spacer but I don't know how I'd be able to put the spindle through without having problems putting it on.... I mean it's not really that loose just a little bit to where when the spindle isn't in the bottom bracket she'll it just moves up and down... not really side to side too much...

|

9/3/2017 10:43 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

That, usually you get a couple of different width spacers, just play around until it's nice. Or use your old tube spacer

Yeah I would've liked to use my old tube spacer but the guys at the bike shop kept it and I was stuck with this one...

|

9/3/2017 11:29 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok... I thought about adding cranks spacers to the spacer but I don't know how I'd be able to put the spindle through without ...more

It's not that hard, just use your finger or a screwdriver (longways, don't use the tip ((Teehee)) to press up on the spacers and they should get wedged in between the tube spacer and bearing and stay put. You want it to fit snug in there so it does its job but it can be tricky figuring out the exact length

|

9/4/2017 12:10 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok... I thought about adding cranks spacers to the spacer but I don't know how I'd be able to put the spindle through without ...more

Have you tried tightening your cranks as it is? It might still do it's job once it's tight.

What I usually do is put the axle in, then the tube spacer, then the other bearing. So the axle holds everything in place and the bearing will go in straight

|

9/4/2017 6:51 AM

Ok I'll try using the crabks spacer and try to get it to fit more snug.... thanks guyssmile

|

9/4/2017 9:25 AM

Ok so I tried using the crank spacer and it was a failsad But I mean the spacer is not too loose it's just has some play to it when you take the spindle out like it'll stay pressed up against the bearings when you take the spindle out but if you tap the boot om bracket shell or the frame kinda hard it'll just fall to the bottom of the bottom bracket shell.....

|

9/4/2017 9:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Have you tried tightening your cranks as it is? It might still do it's job once it's tight.

What I usually do is put the ...more

And yes I think it'll be fine once the compression bolt are tightend because it's all put together now and the bottom bracket doesn't have any clicking or rattling to it.....

|

9/4/2017 9:31 AM

That should be fine, it sounds like it'll do its job

|

9/4/2017 10:11 AM

I forgot to put mine in and I have had it for a while now and still runs fine.

|

9/4/2017 10:27 AM

Will_Foxhall wrote:

Well yeah its probably fine if you don't tighten too much just to where it doesn't wiggle... but I like to kepp my cranks pretty tight....

|

9/4/2017 10:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That should be fine, it sounds like it'll do its job

Yeah I think it should be fine... when the spindle wasnt in the bottom bracket I was just movimg the tube around and it didnt move side to side much so I think when the spindle is in there and the compression bolts are tight I think it's going to do its job... thanks Stevesmile

|

9/4/2017 3:16 PM

Will_Foxhall wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well yeah its probably fine if you don't tighten too much just to where it doesn't wiggle... but I like to kepp my cranks ...more

yeah and that's what the tube spacer does, because without it the inner races of the bearings will compress in as you tighten your crank bolts… Some people make the (dumb) decision to just let the bolts loose to compensate for it but that's not good for the cranks as that can cause the splines to wear out and ruin your cranks.

Mine's measured perfectly and I can tighten my bolt as much as I want and it still spins super well. As long as yours spins decently they're okay, if you give it a nice spin and they spin like once or twice then come to a dead stop then you should add some spacers. A couple times around then coming to a stop is ideal

|

9/4/2017 4:15 PM

Will_Foxhall wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well yeah its probably fine if you don't tighten too much just to where it doesn't wiggle... but I like to kepp my cranks ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah and that's what the tube spacer does, because without it the inner races of the bearings will compress in as you tighten ...more

Yes they do spin really well.... but the bottom bracket is still a bit slow because I haven't ridden it with the new bottom bracket so the bearings are not broken in yet because I'm waiting on my new tires....

|

9/5/2017 1:15 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

So I just got a new Odyssey bottom bracket today and I installed it and the tube spacer was too long and the one of the ...more

You can try taking bb spacers you have and sanding them down with sandpaper on a flat hard surface to get it "perfect" if the spacers you have are just a little too big. Did the kit not have multiple spacers included?

|