Bottom Bracket shell stuck please help

Related:
Create New Tag

8/7/2015 9:15 PM

I was on vacation riding around with some buddies and my bottom bracket started making really bad noises. When i got back home i took of my cranks and saw one of my bearings was blown out. I went to hammer the wobbly inner bearing shell and when it came out the outer shell stayed in. Ive beaten the hell out of it with a hammer and screw driver and cant get it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

|

8/7/2015 9:32 PM

You've got the right idea, but you're going to have to get a punch. Put the frame down on the ground too so it's nice and solid. Maybe prop it up on some wood to be safe.

Had to do exactly this in the shop the other day. We tried with a punch, then tried to think of a bunch of other ways to get it out - really the only way to do it was to use the punch and hit harder.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/7/2015 9:34 PM

Try getting a punch with a flat end or flat screw driver, and getting the flat end to sit in the groove in the stuck bearing shell from the other side of the frame, then tapping it out.

|

8/7/2015 9:43 PM

transition_chris wrote:

You've got the right idea, but you're going to have to get a punch. Put the frame down on the ground too so it's nice and ...more

sorry for the ignorance but what's a punch?

|

8/7/2015 9:46 PM

transition_chris wrote:

You've got the right idea, but you're going to have to get a punch. Put the frame down on the ground too so it's nice and ...more

TheBillyMullins wrote:

think of a super beefy nail. with a tapered, but flat tip. and enough room to hold it firmly in one hand, on the other side, a nice flat solid surface for striking a hammer on...

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/7/2015 9:50 PM

TheBillyMullins wrote:

There's a lot of different types, but this is a punch

Photo

These are also punches, or chisels, and what I was talking about in my post... Only a smaller one would work better.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

8/7/2015 10:22 PM

When "beating the hell" (because thats what your going to have to do) out of your bottom bracket bearing. Be mindful of how your frame is positioned avoiding any unnecessary stress near the welds. In other words, try not to lay the frame flat on the seattube, toptube, downtube, etc.... Thats a really good way to crack your frame.

|

8/7/2015 10:28 PM

A piece of metal pipe will also work as it puts equal force around all sides. Just make sure the pipe is big around enough to fit inside but not small enough to go through the bearing shell

|

8/8/2015 10:33 AM

Surprised nobody has suggested cutting it. I would personally use a sawzall to cut it in half. Then both pieces would fall out no problem. Just be mindful and don't cut into your bb shell.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/8/2015 10:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2015 10:43 AM

Here's the best advice: If you don't even know what a punch or chisel is, I would definitely suggest taking it to a shop to have done professionally. The damage you're going to do to your frame is going to cost you alot more than it would to just have someone else do it. And if you value your frame at all, DO NOT try the Sawz-all idea either!

|

8/8/2015 7:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Surprised nobody has suggested cutting it. I would personally use a sawzall to cut it in half. Then both pieces would fall out ...more

I was going to suggest that, but like Havoc suggested, it's too risky. If OP isn't careful, he could saw a groove in the BB shell, or worse saw right through it by accident. A dremel tool with a small blade on it would work well too if you know what you're doing and are extremely careful.

|