Bottom bracket/cranks/sprocket

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2015 4:59 PM

Ok so I just bought a new bottom bracket,cranks,sprocket.
1.does the pipe that comes with a bottom bracket have to be touching both sides of the bearing in your bottom bracket,cause when I put my bottom bracket together it just loose can't explain really.
2.i just got the odyssey thunder bolt cranks there new and not bent so I put my brand new sprocket gaurd on install everything the right way and it's slightly bent,ik damn we'll it's not a defect,it seems that every sprocket I get has a slight bend in it when I get it idk pls help.
How do you guys install your cranks?

|

12/9/2015 5:41 PM

Put the sprocket on, put the cranks on, then tighten the sprocket bolt all the way

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/9/2015 5:44 PM

U Tube has a great video on
How To Install Thunderbolt cranks. Little bit eaiser then trying to explain...
The bearing spacer is loose and haven't had any problems in years.
When installing your sprocket, make sure the sprocket is flush on spindle before tighting..

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

12/9/2015 5:46 PM

It can be a little loose the internal washer that is i think its just so when you crank down hard on the bolt to tighten the crank arm on if u didnt use the optional cone washers it would prevent you from cranking to hard and destroying the bearing if that makes any sense

|

12/9/2015 8:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2015 8:28 PM

The included spacer actually is supposed to be perfect width between the bearings, but it isn't THAT big of a deal as long as you aren't tightening down your cranks super hard. Reason behind it is because it's supposed to provide internal support between the bearings so it doesn't crush them when you tighten the cranks down. It will however wear out the bearings faster if you tighten them down too hard, and will also cause your cranks to come loose alot quicker. I deal with this on my Maderas/Profiles constantly because my Demolition bb spacer is a couple mm too short and loose like yours. It's pretty hard to determine the correct width regardless because some frames are slightly different, and most bb kits just come with a generic width spacer that's most common. Plus it's not like you can stick a measuring tape thru the middle of the bearings when they're installed to get it yourself, but either way, it's measured in mm so it would be tough to be accurate. I think frame companies should include this measurement with frame specs tbh

|

12/9/2015 9:16 PM

just put the bearings on the outer bb shell so they're lined up flush then use that to judge if you need more than just the large spacer

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

12/10/2015 6:34 AM

Yo!!!thanks guys for the help Ima put some spacers in,but I thought I was get rude comments and sarcastic ones but I didn't so yeah thanks guys for the help!!

|

12/10/2015 9:26 AM

The tube spacers are often too short so you'll need to add an extra spacer. Your sprocket is probably just a really snug fit on the cranks, I had to tap mine on

|

12/10/2015 12:30 PM

Most spacers are 51mm wide. Get a ruler and measure the space. Put a bearing on the bb then put the tube spacer in. If your bb cup has ridges that helps when knowing where the bearings will touch. You will know if the spacer is correct after you put both bearings on the bb cup. Reach in there and the tube spacer should be snug between the bearings. It shouldn't fall down. Before you put the bolts on the crank arms, spin the cranks. That's exactly how they should feel after you tighten down the bolts.

|

12/10/2015 2:15 PM

You usually have to fully assemble your bb and cranks to find out if it's the right length though. I've had 4 frames in the last year that needed extra spacers, otherwise they'd bind up

|

12/10/2015 4:07 PM

The spacer i took out of my duff was 48mm i think. After putting that on my fit with both bearings it was loose inside. I then got the 51mm spacer from danscomp and that fit perfectly. The bb cups on the frame have the edge inside that stop the bearings. Put one bearing on, put the spacer inside laying on the bottom of the cup and u can see if it lies flush with the bearing edge of the cup. Worked for me but YMMV.

|

12/12/2015 4:11 AM

Call me what an idiot, but I don't think I have ever used one of those tube spacers between the bearings.

|

If it ain't broke...