Bottom bracket size

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2017 7:59 PM

Hey everyone, I just bought the SaltPlus Groove Cranks.
http://saltbmx.com/saltplus/products/crank-sets-bb-sets/158-saltplus-groove-crank

My problem is that the bb that came with it is not even close to fitting my frame. Like at all.

My bike is a Sunday Blueprint 2016
http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/archive/2016-completes/blueprint/2016-blueprint-black/

Anyhow, the bb is so far off from fitting. I was wondering what bb size I would need. I have no idea what the original type off bb I had. It was open bearings and had the locknut sorta setup. It's frustrating because I believed that these would fit.
Here's a few pictures.

Photo

I was wondering what bottom bracket set would fit my bike but also be compatible with my cranksPhoto

|

4/13/2017 8:19 PM

To add to it, I think there might be a chance that 3ride sent me the wrong bb, no idea, could someone tell me a bb that would fit my frame and a 19mm

|

4/13/2017 8:19 PM

I see your problem, Sunday has it listed as a sealed Mid BB on their site, but the photos clearly show an unsealed American BB.

You just need the sealed American cups and you'll be set because Mid bearings fit right into those, but not the unsealed cups you currently have. Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere that sells just the cups alone so you'll probably need to buy a whole new bottom bracket again. But on the plus side, you'll have spare bearings. What you need is a "Sealed American BB" kit

|

4/13/2017 8:23 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I see your problem, Sunday has it listed as a sealed Mid BB on their site, but the photos clearly show an unsealed American BB.

You just need the sealed American cups and you'll be set because Mid bearings fit right into those, but not the unsealed cups you currently have. Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere that sells just the cups alone so you'll probably need to buy a whole new bottom bracket again. But on the plus side, you'll have spare bearings. What you need is a "Sealed American BB" kit

Okay thanks, so what about all of the crank pieces? With this bb set work with my cranks? Spacer?

|

4/13/2017 8:38 PM

amant20 wrote:

Okay thanks, so what about all of the crank pieces? With this bb set work with my cranks? Spacer?

Yeah everything will work fine. When you do install the bearings make sure that tube spacer sits in between both bearings snug (But not pushing one of the bearings out either) otherwise it won't do its job right, add some washers if you need to

|

4/13/2017 9:15 PM

don't even use the tube spacer. it's not worth the headache and extra weight. I've been running my cranks without it and seriously not a single problem.

Yeah you will need to get an american sealed BB or i think one company makes the american cups.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/13/2017 9:17 PM

boom! Deco makes them

Deco American BB cups

Get them from Pat @ flatlandfuel he will charge you only like $3-4 shipping. Tell him Dax sent you

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/13/2017 9:22 PM

Knew it! I knew it wasn't a sealed mid bottom bracket! In the other thread you made, that is.

Like metalbmxer said, get the deco cups.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

4/13/2017 9:29 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

don't even use the tube spacer. it's not worth the headache and extra weight. I've been running my cranks without it and seriously not a single problem.

Yeah you will need to get an american sealed BB or i think one company makes the american cups.

Bad advice to be honest, there's a reason they come with them and they really aren't that heavy/hard to figure out. Take the change out of your pocket if you're worried about that minuscule of a weight difference.


Without it, the more you tighten your crank bolt(s), the more it's going to compress the inner bearing races which overtime leads to prematurely worn bearings. Not to mention when they're compressed like that, your cranks aren't going to spin very well which is a huge issue if you want to do crankflips. My last bottom bracket lasted me over 4 years and still spun like new, only got a new one cause I got a new frame and just decided to get a new BB while I was at it.

|

4/13/2017 9:36 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Bad advice to be honest, there's a reason they come with them and they really aren't that heavy/hard to figure out. Take the change out of your pocket if you're worried about that minuscule of a weight difference.


Without it, the more you tighten your crank bolt(s), the more it's going to compress the inner bearing races which overtime leads to prematurely worn bearings. Not to mention when they're compressed like that, your cranks aren't going to spin very well which is a huge issue if you want to do crankflips. My last bottom bracket lasted me over 4 years and still spun like new, only got a new one cause I got a new frame and just decided to get a new BB while I was at it.

Righteous. In a way it's better for some folks but others maybe not so much. I don't run the spacer bc I don't like my cranks to move. But yes it is more durable to run the spacer. Yeah it's nice to get a new BB after that long--4 years is a long time!

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/13/2017 9:41 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Righteous. In a way it's better for some folks but others maybe not so much. I don't run the spacer bc I don't like my cranks to move. But yes it is more durable to run the spacer. Yeah it's nice to get a new BB after that long--4 years is a long time!

Yeah true I know some people actually take it out if they do a lot of no footed tricks like whips. I remember Mark Webb actually put a grip flange in between his sprocket & frame cause he hated his cranks moving around on him. To each his own I suppose.

I'm real picky about my BB and spacer too, the bike shop owner here actually has a way to measure the exact length the tube spacer should be and he does that for me and my cranks spin ridiculously well, even with the bolt as tight as I can get it haha

|

4/13/2017 11:06 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah true I know some people actually take it out if they do a lot of no footed tricks like whips. I remember Mark Webb actually put a grip flange in between his sprocket & frame cause he hated his cranks moving around on him. To each his own I suppose.

I'm real picky about my BB and spacer too, the bike shop owner here actually has a way to measure the exact length the tube spacer should be and he does that for me and my cranks spin ridiculously well, even with the bolt as tight as I can get it haha

Ah that's what's up nice when things fit together and are spaced just right. I have the grip flange too so my cranks don't spin. But I ride flatland so I kinda need it!

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/14/2017 10:19 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

boom! Deco makes them

Deco American BB cups

Get them from Pat @ flatlandfuel he will charge you only like $3-4 shipping. Tell him Dax sent you

Thanks for the help, I live in Canada :/, Anyone know of online stores in Canada that might sell these? Do bike shops usually carry these?

|

4/14/2017 10:36 AM

Gusset makes them too it's what I use in my old frames they make a sealed USA bb for like 29 bux.
http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-list.php?c=A
Most mountain bike shops will stock gusset parts I'm also In Canada caps has em usually.
Also make sure your axle will fit usually your into la casa and 1664 for cranks with those bb sizes.

|

4/14/2017 11:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2017 11:31 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Gusset makes them too it's what I use in my old frames they make a sealed USA bb for like 29 bux.
http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-list.php?c=A
Most mountain bike shops will stock gusset parts I'm also In Canada caps has em usually.
Also make sure your axle will fit usually your into la casa and 1664 for cranks with those bb sizes.

http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-information.php?id=BBGUXB

I'm assuming it's this one correct? Just making sure lol. Also not necessarily this one right? Would I need a 19mm Sealed American Bottom Bracket kit, right? If not, I could just get the converter cups for the mid bb set I already have.

|

4/14/2017 11:44 AM

Yup that's the one should have everything in it. 19mm yes if that's your axle size . It's probably not a 22mm.

|

4/14/2017 11:46 AM

And that gusset has your cups and bearings and everything so you should just need that . Caps will charge you 10 dollars to install it or do it yourself.

|

4/14/2017 11:57 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

boom! Deco makes them

Deco American BB cups

Get them from Pat @ flatlandfuel he will charge you only like $3-4 shipping. Tell him Dax sent you

amant20 wrote:

Thanks for the help, I live in Canada :/, Anyone know of online stores in Canada that might sell these? Do bike shops usually carry these?

I guarantee you he will ship to Canada for a few more $

Email him to get it sorted out--> Patrick@FlatlandFuel.com

Great customer service at FlatlandFuel and they are located in Iowa

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/14/2017 12:22 PM

Yea it'll be cheaper to order and ship direct from the UK than Iowa in Canada. Plus our dollar is so good compared to the GBP that sometimes even with shipping it's still cheaper than if you bought it in Canada. The state's are not very friendly with border fees and shipping usually is more than the part by a leap and bound.

|

4/14/2017 12:27 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Yea it'll be cheaper to order and ship direct from the UK than Iowa in Canada. Plus our dollar is so good compared to the GBP that sometimes even with shipping it's still cheaper than if you bought it in Canada. The state's are not very friendly with border fees and shipping usually is more than the part by a leap and bound.

Ah gotcha good to know. I recently bought something from Canada and had it shipped down to the states. The value was marked down pretty cheap to about $10 (down from $50). Didn't have any problems or need to pay any fees

Hope you get it sorted out and spend minimal time off the bike!

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider