Bottom headset bearing problems

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2018 8:09 AM

Hello, I have just switched frames from one that had a standard headset to one that has a integrated, and When I was putting the bottom headset bearing in, I noticed that the bearing was not flush with the race on the forks, does anyone know what I can do to solve this?

|

8/3/2018 8:21 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

Hello, I have just switched frames from one that had a standard headset to one that has a integrated, and When I was putting ...more

Pictures?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/3/2018 8:40 AM

@p1p1092 Photo
Photo

|

8/3/2018 8:40 AM

It came off of a 2017 kink curb with a standard headset

|

8/3/2018 8:42 AM

As long as your headset is integrated and theres no wobble when everything is tightened down you should be okay. Everything is compatible right?

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/3/2018 8:45 AM

There isn’t any wobble but whenever I do much as bunny hop there is a large clashing sound, I am thinking of just replacing the forks, would this be a good idea?

|

8/3/2018 8:45 AM

I find it hard to believe that a 2017 Kink had anything other than an integrated headset. Not saying you are lying or anything. Just sayin'. Anyway, Integrated headsets should have a sealed bearing & should be a 45 x 45 degree bearing. The Fork should either have an integrated bearing race built into the fork crown or be squared off & you install the supplied bearing race. The standard bearing race won't work with a sealed cartridge bearing. Not properly anyway.

|

8/3/2018 8:49 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

There isn’t any wobble but whenever I do much as bunny hop there is a large clashing sound, I am thinking of just replacing ...more

Okay then that isn't good lol. I mean if you have the money and want something different then I'm sure a new fork would fix it easy.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/3/2018 8:51 AM

the bearings were unsealed and the frame had push in races

|

8/3/2018 8:54 AM

On a new topic without starting a new thread, is anyone familiar with the Easter Throttle forks?

|

8/3/2018 8:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 8:56 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

On a new topic without starting a new thread, is anyone familiar with the Easter Throttle forks?

I've got a Shadow Vultus fork in black if your interested...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/3/2018 8:59 AM

How much would you want for it?

|

8/3/2018 9:01 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

the bearings were unsealed and the frame had push in races

Have you checked your stack up to the stem? There should be about 1/8" between the top of the fork and the top of the stem when the compression cap is off. If you are bottoming out the compression cap to the top of the fork, you aren't getting the proper tension on the bearings. Other than that, I'd say get a sealed headset & start from scratch with new races & bearings.

|

8/3/2018 9:08 AM

Everything is sound on the setup, it’s just the fork not having integrated races

|

8/3/2018 9:11 AM

Sounds like a new fork is in order, then.

|

8/3/2018 9:16 AM

Yea now it’s between the eastern throttle and HondaCRFRacer’s shadow vultus lol

|

8/3/2018 9:20 AM

Isn't that stock race pressed on?

|

8/3/2018 10:06 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

I owned a pair. They were solid but they were heavy and you have to press on the bearing race. It was not easy...

Look for some sunday or odyssey forks new or used. You wont regret it.

|

8/3/2018 10:07 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

Yea now it’s between the eastern throttle and HondaCRFRacer’s shadow vultus lol

Buy hondas fork! He ships quick

|

8/3/2018 10:53 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Buy hondas fork! He ships quick

Aye thanks man!cool

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/3/2018 11:06 AM

Take the race off of the forks, get one that's for integrated headsets (for some reason very few headsets come with the race now).
The race on your forks is removable, you don't need new forks.

|

8/4/2018 12:07 PM

Lol the forks were shit anyways

|