Bought a new bmx bike and I hate it. Need advice.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/15/2020 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2020 4:36 PM

**Editing since this thread was bumped** The bike was sold, and I got something better.
|

11/15/2020 5:21 PM

Bikes from 2005 and 2009 are almost from a different world, what led you to not buy a modern BMX?

Also, post some photos of the bikes here if you can.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/15/2020 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2020 3:27 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Bikes from 2005 and 2009 are almost from a different world, what led you to not buy a modern BMX?

Also, post some photos of ...more

They had similar specs to anything modern in my size.

And, I took all the accessories off the GT bike (these are from the ad). I was planning on covering the ugly frame in decals as well. And I was going to buy new tires for the Haro, those are the original rims at least.

|

11/15/2020 5:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 5:35 PM

Well, they’re not bad bikes, but not great choices for actually riding BMX today.

Non-chromoly metal, tiny handlebars, non-integrated hardware, and unsealed bearings.

These bikes ride similarly to 20” Walmart kid bikes compared to options in the market today.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 5:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 5:39 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Well, they’re not bad bikes, but not great choices for actually riding BMX today.

Non-chromoly metal, tiny handlebars, ...more

The downtube and forks are chromoly. Hi-Ten steel handlebars, Chromoly 3 piece cranks. These are definitely better than walmart bikes. The tiny handlebars and seatposts are a bother though.

And I actually thought the bearings were sealed in the crank on the compe?

|

11/15/2020 6:06 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

The downtube and forks are chromoly. Hi-Ten steel handlebars, Chromoly 3 piece cranks. These are definitely better than ...more

Meant to clarify, full chromoly, that is.

The Compe may have sealed BB bearings, but everything else, such as the headset and hubs, appear otherwise.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 6:15 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Non-chromoly metal, tiny handlebars, ...more

BMXMagnus wrote:

The downtube and forks are chromoly. Hi-Ten steel handlebars, Chromoly 3 piece cranks. These are definitely better than ...more

readybmxer wrote:

The Compe may have sealed BB bearings, but everything else, such as the headset and ...more

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I'm really short and even modern completes in my size are all made with entry level material ie: not full chromo, unless I want to build a bike. I needed something in the meantime, like right now and everything is legit out of stock/backordered. I really wanted to make one of these bikes work, I've been checking for used and new bikes daily for a few weeks.

|

11/15/2020 6:24 PM

Check out some of the flatland bikes...
They have shorter top tubes and might suit you really well...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

11/15/2020 6:33 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yes, thank you. I did look around at flatland bikes, someone suggested this site http://flatlandfuel.com/completebikes.aspx to me in a thread I made about asking if there were small completes in full chromo. But, it looks like even there the full chromo's are either too big over $1k. In that case I'd just build one.

|

11/15/2020 7:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 7:32 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

Yes, thank you. I did look around at flatland bikes, someone suggested this site http://flatlandfuel.com/completebikes.aspx to ...more

I just realized you sent me a message, I’ll check it out real soon.

But, if you do go with the build from scratch route, the 19.69” Eastern Repeater frame I’m on is great. Got it Christmas time two years ago for $100 flat. Super low 7.4” standover as well, so for shorter riders it’s awesome.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 7:42 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

BMXMagnus wrote:

Yes, thank you. I did look around at flatland bikes, someone suggested this site http://flatlandfuel.com/completebikes.aspx to ...more

readybmxer wrote:

But, if you do go with the build from scratch route, the ...more

I'm checking Black Friday sales to see if I can find anything cheap. I swear smaller frames sell out before the bigger ones. I'd rather not build one, everything is decent priced, then I get to rims and I'm like "how the hell do people afford these?"

To me when I was buying the comp the price seemed worth it for the fork, stem, cranks, rims, and wheels alone. I really wanted to ride it while I waited for things to come back in stock though. That's my issue.

|

11/15/2020 7:51 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

I'm checking Black Friday sales to see if I can find anything cheap. I swear smaller frames sell out before the bigger ones. ...more

Yeah, things can get pricey real quick unfortunately, hah. I'm always on a budget as well. I'd say 50% of my bike right now is all second-hand or used parts that I get from local listings or friends.

The only thing about the older bikes, like the Compe, is that certain aftermarket parts won't be compatible, particularly in the front end with the unsealed, non-integrated headset. If I'm not wrong, you'd have to find forks with a different crown race to fit a new stem/headset.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 7:57 PM

readybmxer wrote:

But, if you do go with the build from scratch route, the ...more

BMXMagnus wrote:

I'm checking Black Friday sales to see if I can find anything cheap. I swear smaller frames sell out before the bigger ones. ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Yeah, things can get pricey real quick unfortunately, hah. I'm always on a budget as well. I'd say 50% of my bike right now is ...more

Alrighty then, learned something new there. Pretty lame, but like I said, I can put it away for my kid to grow into.

|

11/15/2020 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 8:00 PM

Okay, got your message, and I'll just post the links for other members here to chime in. I'm not very knowledgeable in complete bikes to point you in the best direction for what you're looking for at the moment.

OP is deciding between these two completes at the minute:

WTP CRS FC 2021: https://us.sourcebmx.com/collections/bmx-bikes/products/wethepeople-crs-fc-2021-bmx-bike?variant=32913434181693¤cy=usd

Fit PRK (XS): https://us.sourcebmx.com/collections/bmx-bikes/products/fit-prk-xs-bmx-bike-2021?currency=usd

Also, Magnus, are you familiar with freecoaster hubs and cassette hubs? Because the WTP comes with a freecoaster hub, but the Fit PRK comes with a cassette. Either way, if you ask me, these two are pretty good for what you pay for. The only thing is, if you bump up the toptube size just a tad, full chromoly bikes become and option for not much more than these prices.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 8:05 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

Alrighty then, learned something new there. Pretty lame, but like I said, I can put it away for my kid to grow into.

Yup. As I mentioned before, they aren't inherently bad bikes, they're just outdated for today's BMX purposes. But for a kid to just ride around, it'll be perfectly alright.

|

@scootereyn

11/15/2020 8:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 8:20 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

The Compe may have sealed BB bearings, but everything else, such as the headset and ...more

BMXMagnus wrote:

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I'm really short and even modern completes in my size are all made with entry level material ie: not ...more

Ok, maybe I missed something , but I just got my Sunday complete not too long ago from The Secret Bmx shop. All they do is bmx. They're located out in Murireta Ca and they ship anywhere in the US. When I went there , they had a bunch of bikes, but the ones I was paying attention to were the Sunday's. Which is what I went for. Next month, they'll also be getting the whole line of Kinks. Give them a call. Also, quick note. just got back into riding after a very long time. I didnt know shit, but quickly realized that if I was going to get any new complete worth its salt, I'd have to spend $500 at least. You do really get what you pay for in bikes for sure.

|

11/15/2020 8:14 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Okay, got your message, and I'll just post the links for other members here to chime in. I'm not very knowledgeable in ...more

Totally agree..

A little bit bigger and 10$ more than the Fit, you can get full chromoly everything, frame, bars, fork...

https://kinkbmx.com/collections/bikes/products/whip-2021

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

11/15/2020 8:18 PM

That ^ 2021 Kink whip also comes with sealed everything, double wall rims, and stealth seat and seatpost...

|

11/15/2020 8:33 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Okay, got your message, and I'll just post the links for other members here to chime in. I'm not very knowledgeable in ...more

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Totally agree..

A little bit bigger and 10$ more than the Fit, you can get full chromoly everything, frame, bars, fork...

...more

I was going off the size chart there, and I was thinking that bike might be too big? I know if I go 20.5 I have a lot more options. I'm 5'0.

|

11/16/2020 6:17 PM

You could make a 2009 bike feel like a 2011-2012 bike if you start drilling a bunch of holes in it... (Crossbar, seat tube, and anywhere else really)

(This is a joke, poking fun at the ups and downs of BMX trends)

|

11/16/2020 6:22 PM

Should have looked for a specialized or a huffy ... woulda got paid more to run that shit

|

11/16/2020 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2020 7:00 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

You could make a 2009 bike feel like a 2011-2012 bike if you start drilling a bunch of holes in it... (Crossbar, seat tube, ...more

I don't understand, sorry. This bike weighs about 27 lbs, as does the Kink Whip which as mentioned above is fully chromoly. I don't get what I am missing, I literally see this bike as the same as most bikes $400 and above completes I look at. The only thing is the handlebars are fucking low, I don't know how to keep myself from falling off it. It literally rides nicer than any bike I've ever ridden. I just can't seem to do anything on it. I feel really off balance.

|

11/16/2020 6:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Should have looked for a specialized or a huffy ... woulda got paid more to run that shit

Is the last part of your statement supposed to make sense?

|

11/16/2020 7:29 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

I don't understand, sorry. This bike weighs about 27 lbs, as does the Kink Whip which as mentioned above is fully chromoly. I ...more

A lot of it has to do with modern geometry. If you ever have the chance to ride today’s BMX bikes, you’ll feel the difference instantly. Much easier to perform tricks. Plus, full chromoly setups last much, much longer. And as I mentioned before, the unsealed bearings compared to sealed ones feel nicer and smoother.

|

@scootereyn

11/16/2020 7:41 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

You could make a 2009 bike feel like a 2011-2012 bike if you start drilling a bunch of holes in it... (Crossbar, seat tube, ...more

BMXMagnus wrote:

I don't understand, sorry. This bike weighs about 27 lbs, as does the Kink Whip which as mentioned above is fully chromoly. I ...more

readybmxer wrote:

A lot of it has to do with modern geometry. If you ever have the chance to ride today’s BMX bikes, you’ll feel the difference ...more

That's the one thing I'm really bad at, geometry in school and with bikes apparently. I see all the specs and numbers. I've read a bunch of articles, and I am not really understanding what I am looking at or looking for when it comes to a bike's geometry.

|

11/16/2020 7:47 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

BMXMagnus wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

A lot of it has to do with modern geometry. If you ever have the chance to ride today’s BMX bikes, you’ll feel the difference ...more

Totally..

Compared to late 1980s bikes, these new geo frames feel like they're part of you.. Extremely responsive, but that can also = garbage in, garbage out...

I'm now 46, and find I'm actually able to do shit on a 2020 (flatland) I just couldn't grasp when I was 14 on a 1988....

|

11/17/2020 2:06 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Totally..

Compared to late 1980s bikes, these new geo frames feel like they're part of you.. Extremely responsive, but that ...more

I'm old ,49, but hooked on new school geo. I'm not into big drops or high speed jumps so the twitchier bikes feel way better to me. If you want to drop off roofs, get Enarson's frame. Pick the right frame and parts to suit your riding style.

|

11/17/2020 6:45 PM

Could be worse OP. You’re just looking for a newer bike. I need a new body. Lol. I rode in the 80’s-early 90’s, and just got back into it after waiting enough years that I am physically unable to do much more than simply ride. On the bright side, my inability to do tricks pairs nicely with the fact that they make what is essentially a 2021 version of the same bike I had as a kid. So, I ride retro and just cruise for the most part. I wish I would have jumped back in a decade earlier. Then, I might have gotten to appreciate these new designs.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

11/18/2020 10:37 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Could be worse OP. You’re just looking for a newer bike. I need a new body. Lol. I rode in the 80’s-early 90’s, and just got ...more

Did you happen to get a "cruiser" type? I think I'm going to go with a cruiser instead. I'm not feeling it with these new bikes. I just got back from my local BMX shop, they got FIT bikes back in stock. I tried out the PRK and was like not impressed at all, in fact the GT Compe is a way smoother, faster ride. I can't do anything on these bikes with small cranks.

|

12/19/2020 1:35 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Could be worse OP. You’re just looking for a newer bike. I need a new body. Lol. I rode in the 80’s-early 90’s, and just got ...more

Yep, my body is spent from 20 years of shit jobs and an epic circulation problem causing my leg veins to expand and contract in painful displays of grossness.

Having grown up with a "repco monoshock" and "blue devil" BMX in the 80's, I found the modern bikes way too light. Disturbingly so.
Plus the gear ratio and setup is alien to me.
My kids have the newer bikes.
I just ended up using a norco frame from the turn of the century, and building it up from there with shit I'm used to.
Bear traps. Big, wide bars. Flippy hub and freewheel. Upside down brake. Upside down seat guts shoved in a plastic kashimax clone seat. Bent post. 44 /16 gearing. Replaced all the cheap bearings with industrial NSK machinery ones and INOX MX8 bearing grease.

I think building a bike to your personal specs is a better idea, especially when you get older and know what you are comfortable with.
New shop bikes sure are nice. But not for me.

|

🄸'🄼 🅃🄾🄾 🄾🄻🄳 🄵🄾🅁 🅃🄷🄸🅂 🅂🄷🄸🅃