Brad Simms on Adidas

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2021 8:11 AM

Brad just announced he will be riding for adidas...thoughts/opinions?

Being a sneaker guy, I’m all for this...thought a few times about getting the boost skate shoes but I only even found all blue or red at a price I’d want to pay

Anyway it’s nice to see more options of companies supporting bmx

|

1/18/2021 8:26 AM

If they make trainers that actually hold up it’s cool. I know they sponsor loads of skaters, but skate trainers aren’t what they used to be. I believe fathead was sponsored by Adidas a few years ago

|

1/18/2021 8:30 AM

I haven't seen any Adidas soles that give me confidence in their gripping ability on a BMX bike. Like look at the Busenitz... The Pro's have good patterns to hold pins, but there's those damn circles, especially that big one on the ball of the foot. Then the Vulc's have a honeycomb pattern that just looks too shallow to grip anything. Maybe that shit means less to a pro like Simms, but I wouldn't risk it. Good on him tho, get that money.

|

I get big airs off small things

1/18/2021 9:46 AM

they need to bring these back
Photo

|

It’s all bmx

1/18/2021 10:36 AM

Its cool there making a push into it. I would like to see them actually make a pair of shoes for BMX though. When they have a team but make them just wear what the skaters have that sucks to see.

|

Husky Nation Member

1/18/2021 11:03 AM

The shoes he's riding in are the Adidas FiveTen models. They're kind of more of a MTB shoe, but they'll definitely hold up and hopefully Brad will have input on upcoming designs.

|

1/18/2021 11:32 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

The shoes he's riding in are the Adidas FiveTen models. They're kind of more of a MTB shoe, but they'll definitely hold up and ...more

Oh yeah, I forgot that they bought FiveTen. Maybe Adidas is serious about catering specifically to the sport, but they definitely have room to adapt to BMX better.

I've tried FiveTens for a while and ultimately passed. Their dot soles grip great but the tread is shallow despite being a pretty robust. I could feel the pressure from the pins in my feet. Also they did not hold up to brakeless riding. My heel was worn completely flat in a couple weeks. The whole shoe felt uncomfortably stiff. I guess they're just not for me. Hopefully they come up with some design tweaks, I hate that most of their shoes look like hiking boots.

|

1/18/2021 12:10 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I haven't seen any Adidas soles that give me confidence in their gripping ability on a BMX bike. Like look at the Busenitz... ...more

The tayshawns or even the superstars have herringbone traction which is highly regarded as the most versatile pattern in shoes

|

1/18/2021 2:24 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I haven't seen any Adidas soles that give me confidence in their gripping ability on a BMX bike. Like look at the Busenitz... ...more

younggotti wrote:

The tayshawns or even the superstars have herringbone traction which is highly regarded as the most versatile pattern in shoes ...more

Those Tyshawns have a giant flat spot at the arches so that's a big no. But the SS's got the exact same tread as my Nike Blazer, so hey there's that ig.

|

1/18/2021 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2021 3:09 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

younggotti wrote:

The tayshawns or even the superstars have herringbone traction which is highly regarded as the most versatile pattern in shoes ...more

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Those Tyshawns have a giant flat spot at the arches so that's a big no. But the SS's got the exact same tread as my Nike ...more

Ehh doesn’t bother me too much...the arch of your foot isn’t going to prevent a pedal slip

I worry more about the forefoot and possibly a bit of the heel

|

1/18/2021 4:02 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

The shoes he's riding in are the Adidas FiveTen models. They're kind of more of a MTB shoe, but they'll definitely hold up and ...more

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot that they bought FiveTen. Maybe Adidas is serious about catering specifically to the sport, but they ...more

Five Ten made a bunch of different shoes, for rock climbing (they were originally a climbing shoe brand) and kayaking/canoeing river shoes (Five Ten Canyoneers) as well as MTB....it seems like everyone has been pretty negative about Five Ten in the last few years since being bought by Adidas, and the opinion is the quality has gone way down and the shoes fall apart after a few months.

|

1/18/2021 4:09 PM

younggotti wrote:

That may be, for running and other sports, but not in BMX shoes...

|

1/18/2021 7:04 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I don’t agree with that...herringbone fits the pins just as good if not better than the diamond pattern that companies use

|

1/18/2021 8:01 PM

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

I don’t agree with that...herringbone fits the pins just as good if not better than the diamond pattern that companies use

Nothing fits pins better than waffle souls, period. Herringbone washes out on pins...

|

1/18/2021 9:12 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Nothing fits pins better than waffle souls, period. Herringbone washes out on pins...

I agree Vans are better with alloy pins but I never liked the way plastics felt with Vans. Probably because the pins aren't as long to begin? I dunno... I have been experiencing awesome grip with my Nikes on plastics. You know how you always end up with little pebbles embedded in herringbone tread? That's the kind of snug it feels when I pressure down on the pedal. Sometimes in Vans I can feel a little play between thinner pins and the gaps in the tread. It's even worse in FiveTens with all the space within the dot pattern.

But anyways... what do you think about Vans classic sole vs the BMX redesign?

|

1/19/2021 4:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2021 4:30 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

no i disagree, herringbone is more flexible so it can catch the pins with different foot movements as it will move to grip to help prevent foot blow offs, the pattern is multidirectional which allow better pin placement no matter foot position ....the diamond pattern, you need the pin to sit inside and you can't guarantee that your foot placement doesn't put a pin at the wall of diamonds....there is no flex to them and if your foot moves sideways at all, that pin is moving inside the tread and then just hitting the wall of the diamond and popping right out

theres no science behind either of out opinions but i don't buy into the "waffle sole"...plus vans are lame overall

|

1/19/2021 4:33 AM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I agree Vans are better with alloy pins but I never liked the way plastics felt with Vans. Probably because the pins aren't as ...more

I have almost no experience with plastic pedals.

I'm sticking with the classic waffle, just looking at the new BMX design, I'm not too keen on it.

|

1/19/2021 4:42 AM

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I agree Vans are better with alloy pins but I never liked the way plastics felt with Vans. Probably because the pins aren't as ...more

yeah nike seems to have a very tight pattern on their soles

i've also ridden a more spaced out herringbone pattern that i enjoyed as well...better than the diamond or pill pattern from my experience

|

1/19/2021 4:45 AM

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

no i disagree, herringbone is more flexible so it can catch the pins with different foot movements as it will move to grip to ...more

Like you just wrote, herringbone is soft and multi directional. It's those two exact reasons they can slide off, the pins silde in the grooves like a record needle. Any shoes with herringbone tread are lame overall.

|

1/19/2021 5:22 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Like you just wrote, herringbone is soft and multi directional. It's those two exact reasons they can slide off, the pins ...more

Me and Gotti over here like
Photo

|

1/19/2021 5:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2021 5:54 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

no i disagree, herringbone is more flexible so it can catch the pins with different foot movements as it will move to grip to ...more

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Like you just wrote, herringbone is soft and multi directional. It's those two exact reasons they can slide off, the pins ...more

noooo, the pattern will catch the pin or slow it down from your foot coming off where a non flexible pattern will not and let the pin slide over it

shoes with herringbone are lame? haha that is a lot of shoes bud...you don't wear other shoes outside of dusty bike shoes?

|

1/19/2021 5:52 AM

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

noooo, the pattern will catch the pin or slow it down from your foot coming off where a non flexible pattern will not and let ...more

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.. I've only been riding bikes for 42 years so it's possible you have more experience.

|

1/19/2021 5:57 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

noooo, the pattern will catch the pin or slow it down from your foot coming off where a non flexible pattern will not and let ...more

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.. I've only been riding bikes for 42 years so it's possible you have more ...more

yep, it's all opinion, there won't be scientific data on any of this

i do, a good amount of experience with shoes, shoe design, and shoe performance

|

1/19/2021 7:08 AM

younggotti wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

Herringbone sucks ass. Waffle grip for life, and my shins.

|

Husky Nation Member

1/19/2021 7:23 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

younggotti wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

disagreed, but again it's all opinion

the waffle sole seems to be something ppl said were good and others just followed along...not to mention vans are junk shoes overall, plus who wants to ride in the same shoes that every hipster and their brother rocks?

|

1/19/2021 9:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2021 9:23 AM

I use adidas nizza and plastic pedals and my feet never slip. I also like the rubber on the toes for some protection.

Photo

|

1/19/2021 9:23 AM

Photo
|

1/19/2021 10:53 AM

younggotti wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

younggotti wrote:

the waffle sole seems to be something ppl said were good and others just followed ...more

I will. Ive been ripping the hell out of a pair of sk8 hi BMX version for over 6 months and they have held up well. No complains from me. If you didnt buy the cheap ones from famous footwear you may get something that lasts.

|

Husky Nation Member

1/19/2021 11:58 AM

Well-deserved for him to get such a high-visibility sponsor.
And Adidas actually makes shoes that are not overly expensive pieces of crap that rip off to shreds after 3 sessions like Vans. Top tens are well-paded, solid, and the grip is good.

|

1/19/2021 12:57 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

younggotti wrote:

the waffle sole seems to be something ppl said were good and others just followed ...more

baglagrupie wrote:

I will. Ive been ripping the hell out of a pair of sk8 hi BMX version for over 6 months and they have held up well. No ...more

oh i won't buy vans period...they were lame when i was growing up and they are still lame today

i'm going off of the amount of bad reviews i've seen of them...more bad than good when it comes to the materials holding up....if you got a good pair, cool but you won't catch me in any

|