Brain Spurts Of Bike Innovation (Sounds complicated but...)

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2014 6:46 PM

So, I had this idea of a really clean and probably more hidden type of seat clamp

So the concept is instead of an INTERNAL clamp like the old Premium Death Trap and the Total Hangover where the bolt tightens into the top tube/seat post area, or the spy style clamp like on the Guerra Frames and some Amber completes/frames. Or even an INTEGRATED clamp, you can leave a traditional slot for a separate clamp, but with the same style of gusset AS THE Guerra Frames, you incorporate a 6mm set screw into the gusset.

1. Widen out the seat stay junction at the seat tube and add a SOLID gusset with the proper sized threaded hole in between both the L & R seat stay's also piercing the seat tube to allow a set screw to come into contact with the seat post.

2. Take the seat post and drill into the material just enough to make a dimple in the post

3. Using a 6MM allen key, tighten the set screw into the post through the frame. (MAKE SURE THE SCREW IS GREASED BEFORE INSTALL)

DIAGRAM BELOW
Photo

I am not confident this idea would go too far but, honestly, if you stripped out the set screw, lost the set screw, or just do not like the thought of it, you can always throw your post in and use a regular clamp, BUT if you DO like the idea but want to be extra secure, you can just thread tap the post too.

So the main point is
-Clean design
-You get an extra gusset either way
-easy to work on, just thread in and go, no real stress put into the frame because the screw is threaded into/onto the post.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/12/2014 7:26 PM

Look up the Company Mutant bikes and their smiley system.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/12/2014 8:01 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

This you mean?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Photo

That was my first thought when reading his post. It's a little ugly in my opinion at least, but would look super clean if someone had brakes & was able to have the brake cable go through the bolt as well somehow haha

|

11/12/2014 8:49 PM

The OP's idea is alot cleaner having the screw tucked away. I'd run it

|

11/12/2014 8:53 PM

my concern is landing a whip to seat and snapping the bolt and ruining the post
plus, this design makes it so force is applied to the bolt itself when you hit the seat, and it could snap from pressure unlike an integrated clamp

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/12/2014 8:53 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

It could be kind of similar but it is tucked in between the tubing of the seat stays, much less visible

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

11/12/2014 8:54 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

my concern is landing a whip to seat and snapping the bolt and ruining the post
plus, this design makes it so force is applied ...more

that is why i said "slotted for a traditional seat clamp"

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

11/12/2014 8:55 PM

HONESTLY I could see this being done on Racing, Flatland, and maybe Trail Style frames

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

11/12/2014 9:13 PM

It's nice that you're trying to come up with new ideas at least.

Personally though I like the way wedge posts look over any style seat clamp. I made mine into a wedge post, and on my old frame I even sawed off the tip of the seat tube at a slight angle for an even cleaner look. Not sure if I have a photo of that anywhere though. Currently though-

Photo

|

11/15/2014 10:33 PM

2007 wedge mod flashbacks

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

11/15/2014 10:57 PM

all this could be avoided by using non-integrated seat clamps, as they provide better clamping power throughout the circumference of the post rather than just the back
bonus points if you run a wedge post and a seat clamp
never will move
ever

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/15/2014 11:47 PM

Every integrated clamp will weaken the frame in some way, this is no different. It's overly complex. A traditional seat clamp works better than any alternatives.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital