Brake Adjustment

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2018 11:24 AM

How do I adjust my brakes so that the brake lever is tighter? Currently when I pull the brake lever it touches my grip before my brakes engage.

|

6/23/2018 11:32 AM

Turn the barrel adjusters on the straddle and brake lever so that they tighten the cable, i can't explain it very well but look for a YouTube video on how to adjust BMX brakes and it will show you.

|

Hmmm

6/23/2018 11:44 AM

Cool I see what you are talking about. I got it fixed. Went to brake today and the lever hit my fingers, couldn't stop, and had to bail. Works a lot better now. Thanks!

|

6/23/2018 1:10 PM

bquick222 wrote:

Cool I see what you are talking about. I got it fixed. Went to brake today and the lever hit my fingers, couldn't stop, and ...more

Dont rely on your barrel adjusters for long term. Not only does it make the system weaker and more prone to breakage you will eventually run out of adjustment.

Your best bet is to tighten up your cable hanger and only use your barrel adjusters on your lever and frame when you are out and about and either dont have time to fix it or dont have the tools at the time.

|

6/23/2018 1:20 PM

bquick222 wrote:

Cool I see what you are talking about. I got it fixed. Went to brake today and the lever hit my fingers, couldn't stop, and ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Dont rely on your barrel adjusters for long term. Not only does it make the system weaker and more prone to breakage you will ...more

Ok, sorry to sound ignorant, I'm coming from skateboarding to BMX. What is the cable hanger? Is that where the cable splits in two to go to each brake pad?

|

6/23/2018 1:35 PM

What is the cable hanger? Is that where the cable splits in two - Correct!!!!
|

6/23/2018 2:25 PM

bquick222 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Dont rely on your barrel adjusters for long term. Not only does it make the system weaker and more prone to breakage you will ...more

bquick222 wrote:

Ok, sorry to sound ignorant, I'm coming from skateboarding to BMX. What is the cable hanger? Is that where the cable splits in ...more

Yep, just pull the wire that goes down from your lever tight and wrench down the nut or screw that clamps down on the wire. Make sure your barrel adjusters are all the way down before you tighten it.

|