Brake Pads (Color = Different Grip?)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/4/2016 10:28 PM

I've been looking into new brake pads, and will be buying Kool Stop Supra 2's again. But instead of the usual clear pad route I am thinking of trying a WHITE pad, I think this was on Albes but the darker colored the pad the harder the compound and the lighter colored the pad the softer (Excl. clear & gum)

So would a white pad work more silent but just as grippy as a clear pad? I know the Demo Brake Pads came in white.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

9/5/2016 12:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2016 12:25 AM

Generally speaking, the color represents something. Softer pads will grab the rim more aggressively. Harder compound pads won't as much, but just by a fraction of measurement and it really isn't a massive difference. As for the sound, clear tends to be the loudest. The rim color and substances you may use on your rim will also affect the sound. I assume the softer the pad, the less noise it'll make.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/5/2016 12:58 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Generally speaking, the color represents something. Softer pads will grab the rim more aggressively. Harder compound pads won't as much, but just by a fraction of measurement and it really isn't a massive difference. As for the sound, clear tends to be the loudest. The rim color and substances you may use on your rim will also affect the sound. I assume the softer the pad, the less noise it'll make.

So should a white pad work pretty well? The Supra 2 pads are grippier than all hell either way, I just don't want to have my bike screaming like a goose on crack being strangled mid flight anymore when going down hills.

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

9/5/2016 7:39 AM

Get either Gum or Dual Compound then. Lightly sand the pads before use. Keep your rims extra clean, the best way to do so is Simple Green and steel wool.

I know that color does certainly effect braking performance, as the best pads I ever rode were Fly Zapatas in purple, and my worst were Fly Zapatas in black.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/5/2016 1:20 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

So should a white pad work pretty well? The Supra 2 pads are grippier than all hell either way, I just don't want to have my bike screaming like a goose on crack being strangled mid flight anymore when going down hills.

It most likely will indeed work well, but as for sound, not sure. My theory is that it'll be quieter since the softer compound won't slam against the rim as hard as the harder compound, but I can't be positive.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/5/2016 8:44 PM

Clear is the grippiest
Gum is going to be the second
Then anything else is based on company standards .

This is coming from a brakeless rider so don't tweak out if I'm not correct , I know for sure clear pads are the best on chrome rims

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/7/2016 3:32 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Clear is the grippiest

This is coming from a brakeless rider so don't tweak out if I'm not correct , I know for sure clear pads are the best on chrome rims

This is pretty accurate.

Color doesn't totally determine the hardness of the pad. Harder will grip the least and is typically the quietest. Softer will be the loudest due to vibration and flex in the pad.

Clear tend to be the best for braking quality, but loudest. Toeing in the pads properly can help too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/8/2016 10:07 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Clear is the grippiest

dave lawrence wrote:

This is pretty accurate.

Color doesn't totally determine the hardness of the pad. Harder will grip the least and is typically the quietest. Softer will be the loudest due to vibration and flex in the pad.

Clear tend to be the best for braking quality, but loudest. Toeing in the pads properly can help too.

So I guess a white pad can be okay. Also about toeing in pads. I prefer running 'em flat just because I feel like I max out the performance on them.

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

9/8/2016 5:49 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

So I guess a white pad can be okay. Also about toeing in pads. I prefer running 'em flat just because I feel like I max out the performance on them.

Uhm...if they sit flat when the bike is still, they will pull away from the rim when the wheel is rotating. The purpose of toe-in is so they sit flat, when under braking pressure.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

9/8/2016 7:06 PM

Toeing pads is done to have one end hit the rim SLIGHTLY before the other end of the pad to minimize vibration/noise. Doesn't totally work with clear pads and you get to sound like a goose being lit on fire.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura