Brake Pads and Rims (Need Suggestions) Topsey

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2013 5:32 PM

Is there a pad out there that won't take paint of the rim? My guess is no... I could be wrong.

I have clear pads but it's leaving some nasty black shit on my rims... its not taking off the paint but if you try to clean it, the paint comes off a bit. I also can't stand the sound of clear pads. I got a tip to slant the pads so just a corner is touching the rim and that helps a bit.

I prefer black pads but they take the paint off.

My plan B is getting new rims. So whats the difference between Chrome and Polished? Will the heat of the pads dis color the rim?

So Topsey said...
As for the wheelset i wouldn't recommend buying Chrome Rims if you want them to last a long time. Chrome just isn't what it used to be say 5 or 6 years ago. Loads of new rules & regulations mean it just doesn't last like it used to! I would recommend getting Raw/Polished Rims myself, Something like....

Odyssey Aerospace Rims Raw

OR...

Eclat Polar Straight Rims

My knowledge is not good when it comes to parts. I just started riding last year. I had not been on a bike in 17 years. I'm just trying to figure this all out. I love brakes. It saves me from buying shoes.

Any suggestions other then brakeless?

|

8/29/2013 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2013 5:55 PM

Basically there are no pads that will not damage your Rim in some way! On a Black Rim, Clear Pads ARE your best choice I am afraid. What you have been told to do is “toe in” your pads. It may sound a little weird, but if you angle your Brake Pads at certain angles it will increase the Brake power quite significantly. Unfortunately I am not much of a Brake wizard! I used to run them a LONG time ago & I gave up with them because the maintenance is fucking hard haha.

As for Rims... Chrome has been a staple for the best Brake power for years & years. I have said a couple of times on here. Basically in years gone past Chrome was completely un-regulated, it meant companies could use whatever compound & however thick they wanted it. That is why you see 10/12 year old Rims that still have near perfect Chrome (I will admit they have to have been stored PERFECTLY!) Now that all these regulations have been changed, Chrome has basically gone to crap, newer Rims the Chrome begins to flake & there really isn't a lot you can do about it. For anyone else reading this who has flaking Chrome Rims there is one thing.. I MUST tell you…

DO NOT SAND THEM DOWN!!! Sanding Chrome is VERY, VERY dangerous, it releases Metal Spores into the air & if these get breathed in & lodged in your Lungs you aren't going to die, but it will be a VERY PAINFUL existence!! If you ever decide you want to change up your Chrome Rims, take them to be Sand/Bead Blasted & once the Chrome has been professionally removed then its up to you what you do with them, have them powdercoated, spray them yourself, whatever but whatever you do, DO NOT SAND THEM DOWN!!

Back to the point of the Thread! Chrome really isn't what it used to be & even if you keep your bike in perfect storage they will not last as long as older Chrome Rims, which is why you are seeing a few Polished or Anodized Silver Rims popping up… I have ZERO experience with these Rims & I really do not know what the braking power is like with them unfortunately, I know some people will just buy them because they look cool but obviously you personally want them for Braking.. I would imagine that the Braking would be comparable to an Anodized Black Rim with Clear Pads. But obviously with the Polished Rim you have no paint to pull off as its just Polished Metal… If I were in your situation I would go with Éclat Polar Straight Rims. They are a decent Rim regardless of finish, I’m pretty sure Daryl Tocco runs the Polished Rim for his Braking.

I’d say give it a go, Éclat Polar Straight Rim smile

|

8/29/2013 6:02 PM

You basically have 3 choices, and combos. Clear pads, chrome rims, or the Cinema AR777 rims. It has a special coating for brakes, and supposed to withstand brakes with no brake damage for years.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

8/29/2013 6:39 PM

Alright, good tips Topsey. Honestly I'm not a crazy rider. I'm a casual street cruiser. I take good care of my bikes. I clean it after every ride. I know from my last bike, I hated the bike when the paint started coming off the rim. For my new bike, I just want a nice chrome/polished rim that will keep it's look. I don't use the brakes that often. With this bike the clear pads drive me crazy and I started to use my shoe. I ruined a pair of Jordans doing so. Kinda pissed at that.

So I guess polished it is.

|