Brake arms

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2014 6:03 PM

Ok so i am looking at brake arms and I have noticed all of the high end brakes are cnc machined. The cheap ones are cast or forged. I did a little digging and it seems like forged is a stronger process than cnc'ing. So what are the differences? This is specifically about brake arms. There are advantages with cnc but it doesn't seem like the brake arm would benefit from any of these.

here is the main article i read. I have yet to find any information that contradicts it.
http://sheldonbrown.com/dp-forging.html

|

8/6/2014 6:28 PM

cast-brittle
forged- high tooling cost, but efficient and strong
cnc-low tooling cost, inefficient
cnc of forged billet- strong, inefficient, low tooling cost, ability to create shapes that can't be forged
brake arms dont really need to be cnc'd, so forged is nice and cheap. cast is shit, stay away from cast

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/6/2014 7:37 PM

Just get a set of Hombre's, a decent cable and decent pads and you will be set.

|

8/9/2014 6:52 PM

I'm running the springfields by odyssey. I haven't had much time on them but they work great and there cheap

|

That Haro life

8/9/2014 7:09 PM

they are brake arms... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/9/2014 7:22 PM

oh I already bought them. I just want to understand the differences. Why are some so expensive if cncing is not as good as the cheaper forged... BTW bmxsteve forging is way cheaper than cncing.

|

8/9/2014 7:23 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

they are brake arms... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

Going wrong? Probably not. You're right there. But there are some with features most dont have. IE springfields are a single mold so each arm is identical, demolitions have sealed bearing pivots, fly's had angled arms. Not sure if any others have special features since I don't run brakes

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/9/2014 7:34 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

they are bars... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

they are cranks... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

they are forks... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

they are rims... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

|

8/9/2014 7:41 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

they are bars... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

they are cranks... I can't imagine much going ...more

they are hookers... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

8/9/2014 7:47 PM

one try kid wrote:

they are hookers... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

they are asians... I can't imagine much going wrong on them, get the cheapest wink

|

8/9/2014 8:37 PM

I would thoroughly enjoy a video of someone snapping a brake arm while riding

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/9/2014 8:46 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Spoke mod + ten year old brakes, I've seen it happen at the trails.

|

8/9/2014 8:53 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

I would thoroughly enjoy a video of someone snapping a crank arm while riding

|

8/9/2014 8:55 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I would thoroughly enjoy a video of someone snapping a crank arm while riding

I would thoroughly enjoy a video of someone snapping a valve stem cap while riding

|

8/9/2014 9:34 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Broken-Odyssey-Springfield-Brakes,1275922

uhmm...

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

8/15/2014 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2014 3:33 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

Cheapest typically flex more, which means poor braking because they cannot pinch/grip as well. Worst case you break an arm, best case you have flex but it is enough to grip ok. There is a difference between a cheap brake and a higher quality brake.

Same with everything else on a bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/15/2014 4:05 PM

Oh so many snapped brake arms out their

|