Brake lever wobble

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2018 3:25 PM

Hey guys, was wondering if there was any way to fix this wobble from my brake lever. It pisses me off when I hear the cranky sound when I land, it makes my bike sound shitty, and I like my bike dialed. Here is a video of the problem. Just in case I have the odyssey Springfield lever, thanks guys.

|

1/14/2018 3:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 3:42 PM

There's no video.

If theres a wobble theres not much you can do besides tighten up the bolt for the lever. For the noise you can take a very thin zip tie or rubber band and tie it around the inner part of the hinge and that can take care of the snap back "tink" when letting go of the lever. Red line.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

With the odyssey springfield lever I think it's cast or molded/forged either one but usually you're not going to be able to get precision out of it in ways of tuning unlike a cnc'd lever. Wobble on levers is extremely common on cheaply made levers.

Something you could try doing to have less wobble is cut out a washer from a aluminium can and chuck it in with the brass bushing if it'll fit.

|

1/14/2018 3:56 PM

Ok thank you. How do I go about tying up the lever with a rubber band? Is there an inexpensive lever (around 10-15 dollars or so) that would be worth looking into?

|

1/14/2018 4:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 4:06 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Ok thank you. How do I go about tying up the lever with a rubber band? Is there an inexpensive lever (around 10-15 dollars or ...more

Just find a really small rubber band something the size of a your finger and pop it on the part of the lever which is pictured in red. Just go around once or twice, you don't want it to be too thick otherwise that'll put the lever closer to your bars, hence small band.

You will find other levers for that kind of price but to be honest you'll most likely have the same issues you are having now, I would try what has been suggested first with your current lever see if any of it makes a difference if not then go from there, you might be able to find a higher quality lever/cnc'd second hand or maybe new and discounted you really just have to look. If you were to go with a cnc'd lever I'd suggest a Colony or a Fly original if you can find it. Odyssey's trigger/medium are okay but they still have some wobble but not as bad as the lower end levers, but if wobble elimination is what your are after then cnc'd is the way to go and even after some time using the lever it can developed a slight wobble you just need to swap out the bushings to fix.

|

1/14/2018 4:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 4:35 PM

If it has a bolt & nut, you could go to a hardware store & get either a couple small o-rings or thin felt & use it on either side of the lever. On the free side, try adjusting your cable so that there's always tension on the lever by adjusting the cable directly or turning the adjustment barrel out.

|

1/14/2018 4:50 PM

Yeah I try to do that but the barrel adjuster is stripped out completely. I am short on funds right now but I’ll try and maybe glue the barrel adjuster or use some eashers to add tension to the lever until I can find a replacement. Thanks guys!

|

1/14/2018 4:51 PM

Let us know how it turns out, good luck.

|