Brake mounts

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2013 10:47 AM

Ok so on my fit right now even when I tighten down the brakes the calipers they still wobble a bit, which isn't a huge deal but it bugs me since I don't see myself going brake less again. I'm looking at frames right now( don't have money but I'm sick and have nothing better to do right now) and I'm wondering if getting a custom frame with welded brake mounts is worth it and better than removable mounts like I have now. I'm also thinking about getting a frame and welding the mounts on myself but idk if that's a good idea and I would have to get some gas for my dads tig welder.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/20/2013 10:49 AM

Looking at the Subrosa Villcus prime frame, Volume Bermuda, or a custom Duguan frame, because I want something with a wishbone rear end.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 2:39 PM

Its supposed to wobble.. the U-brake and mounts aren't designed to be perfectly snug lol. It shouldnt bother you, it doesn't effect braking performance. Unless its a crazy like half inch wobble, in which case, the U-brake probably ovalated where it goes on the mount.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2013 2:43 PM

Huh,I just learned a new word.tongue

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

9/20/2013 2:46 PM

Bah I'm out of it so bad right now. Been a long day. Ovalized* lol.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2013 3:02 PM

Ya I think it should be good I was just curious because its hard to find frames with welded brake mounts. I think when the time comes I'm gonna get a Subrosa Vilicus Prime. Anyone had that frame?

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 5:41 PM

All fit frames / USA made frames use a smaller weaker removable brake mount size being M6x1.0 which is why you will get a wobble as the bolt that holds down everything is just to small as compared to other companies mostly Taiwan made frames that use an M8x1.25mm bolt which is the exact same size as a metric stem bolt which is much stronger/ stiffer then the counter part. Also the difference between the 2 styles of mounts is that the USA version use a straight through bolt, 1 bolt to hold down everything which again makes it much weaker compared to the Taiwan version or Fly's Dylan version which uses an M8x1.25 thread on the mount itself and has an internal Allen key 4mm on the inside of the mount itself to tighten down, also if you use loctite that mount should never come loose, I've used many different types of mounts USA made, Fly's Dylan, SBS, EBS and the best out of all of them is the Dylan mounts which most Taiwan manufactured frames use today besides a handful that don't and the obvious choice welded, If you want more info just Pm, I can help you out speaking from someone who has experience from using these mounts.

USA http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489126/Mutiny_Replacement_990_Brake_Mounts.html

Dylan http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489909/Federal_Replacement_990_Brake_Mounts.html

|

9/20/2013 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 5:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its supposed to wobble.. the U-brake and mounts aren't designed to be perfectly snug lol. It shouldnt bother you, it doesn't effect braking performance. Unless its a crazy like half inch wobble, in which case, the U-brake probably ovalated where it goes on the mount.

The USA version will always have wobble, there are frames that use a different type of boss with a flat top head which eliminate wobble completely and are as snug as a tick's ass.

|

9/20/2013 5:50 PM

Cellmember wrote:

All fit frames / USA made frames use a smaller weaker removable brake mount size being M6x1.0 which is why you will get a wobble as the bolt that holds down everything is just to small as compared to other companies mostly Taiwan made frames that use an M8x1.25mm bolt which is the exact same size as a metric stem bolt which is much stronger/ stiffer then the counter part. Also the difference between the 2 styles of mounts is that the USA version use a straight through bolt, 1 bolt to hold down everything which again makes it much weaker compared to the Taiwan version or Fly's Dylan version which uses an M8x1.25 thread on the mount itself and has an internal Allen key 4mm on the inside of the mount itself to tighten down, also if you use loctite that mount should never come loose, I've used many different types of mounts USA made, Fly's Dylan, SBS, EBS and the best out of all of them is the Dylan mounts which most Taiwan manufactured frames use today besides a handful that don't and the obvious choice welded, If you want more info just Pm, I can help you out speaking from someone who has experience from using these mounts.

USA http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489126/Mutiny_Replacement_990_Brake_Mounts.html

Dylan http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489909/Federal_Replacement_990_Brake_Mounts.html

Thanks man. Have you had any experience on the Subrosa brake mounts I think I might get that frame.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 5:52 PM

Cellmember wrote:

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Thanks man. Have you had any experience on the Subrosa brake mounts I think I might get that frame.

Subrosa use the USA mounts, same as your Fit.

|

9/20/2013 5:54 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Hmm, so Fly frames use the stronger version of the brake mounts

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 5:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 6:00 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Hmm, so Fly frames use the stronger version of the brake mounts

They used to use the Dylan mounts on there 2010 frames and back, from 2011 to now they went from SBS to EBS, EBS being the current version they have on their new frames, It will work better then the USA versions for sure but the Dylan version is still the best out of all removable brakes mounts being the stiffest/ strongest. EBS will work just fine but it will have a very slight wobble though no where near as much as the USA version. There are still plenty of brands out there that still use Fly's Dylan version

|

9/20/2013 5:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 6:01 PM

What geometry are you after, I could shoot a couple frame choices your way that use the M8x1.25 mounts if you'd like

|

9/20/2013 6:02 PM

Im looking for something around this
20.75 tt
13.3-14 cs
75 degree ht
8.75- 9 inch standover

preferably chrome or raw color
and a wishbone rear end if possible

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 6:10 PM

Seeing as you want a wishbone there aren't many choices at all out there but the Sunday Soundwave is pretty much exactly what you are after the cs and soh are slightly different, very close and could be what your after.

TT 20.75
CS 13.5" - 13.75"
HT 75
SOH 8.5"
Brake mounts use M8x1.25

|

9/20/2013 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 6:26 PM

Frames that use Dlyan mounts

Mankind, The Set, BSD, Mutant, Total, Failure, Sunday, Superstarbmx, Kisbikeco, Terribleone Ruben and Hickerson frames, Premium, WTP, Macneil, Colonybmx, Deluxe, Sputnicbmx, Federal, Volume. all that I can think of right now, if you know of any other brands shoot me a pm and Ill let you know.

USA mounts
Fit, S&M, FBM, Subrosa, Mutiny, Stranger, T1 SFA and Barcode, Bonedeath, Cult, United

EBS
Flybikes, Kink

|

9/20/2013 6:15 PM

Yeah I was looking at Sunday I know the mounts will wobble less but will it increase my brake performance because I can learn to deal with it and use loctite if its not a big deal.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 6:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 6:30 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Yeah I was looking at Sunday I know the mounts will wobble less but will it increase my brake performance because I can learn to deal with it and use loctite if its not a big deal.

The Sunday frames use the same M8x1.25, there should be no wobble at all. Braking power will definitely be much better, make sure you set your brakes up correct to get the best performance.

Also depends on what brake setup you run which determines performance.

|

9/20/2013 6:33 PM

I sent you a message but its easier on here lol I think Volume uses the same M8 mounts do you know for sure if they do because this is what comes up on there website.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 6:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 6:39 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

I sent you a message but its easier on here lol I think Volume uses the same M8 mounts do you know for sure if they do because this is what comes up on there website.

Yeah Volume use M8x1.25 which are the Dlyan brake mounts. They used to use Fly's EBS mounts but not any more.

And I was actually going let you know that Volume has the same specs you are after haha, just seen your pm.

Burmuda

|

9/20/2013 6:37 PM

Sweet I think I'm gonna get the Bermuda frame then since its the same as the Subrosa but not in chrome. Thanks for the help man I appreciate it.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 6:38 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Sweet I think I'm gonna get the Bermuda frame then since its the same as the Subrosa but not in chrome. Thanks for the help man I appreciate it.

Awesome, glad to have helped, let me know how you get along with your new setup and be sure to do a bike check !

|

9/20/2013 6:41 PM

Yeah I definitely will, I'm gonna get a job at my lbs soon and start saving up for it so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have it smile

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 6:44 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Yeah I definitely will, I'm gonna get a job at my lbs soon and start saving up for it so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have it smile

Nice !

|

2/21/2017 2:19 AM

Anybody know where to get amber removable brake mounts or know which ones are compatible with an amber frame

|