Brake opinions....

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2018 10:13 AM

So, I am building up the S&M Tallboy. I'm not sure I'm ready (or ever will be) to go brakeless. So, in kicking around my options, I could go with a standard rear brake with a direct cable, I could drill for a gyro, or I could just go wit ha front brake & nothing on the rear. What are you thoughts? Pros/Cons to each setup?

|

1/24/2018 10:34 AM

Imo straight cable is the best. I ran brakes for like a month after being brake less and didn't like them so I took them off.

|

Hmmm

1/24/2018 10:41 AM

Straight cable for brake tricks (best stopping power, not likely to slip.)

Dual-cable Gyro for stopping your wheel in the air to do crazy spins (makes tricks easier, but doesn't provide the same stopping power as a straight cable.)

Brakeless for not being able to bitch out of doing simple stuff (I know before I was brakeless I'd grab my lever before doing anything, looking back I feel like a little bitch.. much more bike control and confidence now, which makes me want brakes againtongue)

Front brakes for earning your man card & having maximum fun.

& always make sure to run a CNC'd U-brake for maximum stiffness & stopping power. Cast stuff sucks.

Kool-Stop Supra 2s in Clear are the best BMX pads you can get, so long as you can handle the sounds of a thousand screaming eagles every time you grab your lever.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/24/2018 11:01 AM

i run straight cable with odyssey trigger lever, some shitty $3 cable and diatech hombre brakes on all of my bicycles. Cheap and it works well. Take some simple green and clean your rims and your brakes will sing to you a sweet, sweet symphony.

|

1/24/2018 11:05 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Straight cable for brake tricks (best stopping power, not likely to slip.)

Dual-cable Gyro for stopping your wheel in the air ...more

Thousand screaming eagles. Hell yes. I'm using that phrase from now on. The freedom scream.

|

1/24/2018 11:14 AM

If I ride a straight cable I’ll usually snap one to two cables a season , if I ride a gyro I had one last me 4 seasons , I just baught a kink rotor brake set up with a box genius mid reach lever , pretty stoked to see how it holds up

|

1/24/2018 11:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 11:43 AM

IMO, run a straight cable with good slack, and if you find its annoying, drill for a gyro. Drilling just seems to me to be a hell of a commitment. I know technically it's not, but...I'd rather have it pre-drilled.

I toyed with the thought of going brakeless, but not in NYC. Thats a dash of suicide with a pinch of sadism.

Real talk: I hate squeaky brakes. A lot. I'll stop and adjust my shit if I squeak even once. Squeaking is for tires.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/24/2018 11:48 AM

You're brakeless until you pull the lever. But yes, get a front brake and a rear brake. I'd get the odyssey quick slick cable and springfield brake if setting up brakes isn't your strong point.

|

It’s all bmx

1/24/2018 11:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 11:51 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

IMO, run a straight cable with good slack, and if you find its annoying, drill for a gyro. Drilling just seems to me to be a ...more

I'm with you on the squeaky brakes! I HATE THEM! It just goes against everything I was ever taught about how brakes should be setup.

As for the drilling for gyro tabs, I'm a machinist by trade so it isn't a big deal. I can see how some people might be weirded out by trying that themselves tho. I was thinking the same thing, however (running no gyro & seeing how it goes, first).

|

1/24/2018 12:00 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

IMO, run a straight cable with good slack, and if you find its annoying, drill for a gyro. Drilling just seems to me to be a ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm with you on the squeaky brakes! I HATE THEM! It just goes against everything I was ever taught about how brakes should be ...more

Yea clear pads here and chrome rim, you shouldn't hear a sound if you've set your brakes up properly, they come on those rotating bolts for a reason...

|

1/24/2018 12:00 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

One time I bought a brand new Cult Hawk v2 frame in that crispy trans green..

Just couldn't stand the thought of brakeless or straight cable at the time, for whatever stupid reason, so opted to drill it for gyro.

Let me just say, unless you've got a wide variety of tools and a drill press, don't even bother. I lined my holes up perfect, quadruple measured everything, drilled the first 3 holes just fine. Then on the 4th hole, the drill bit just slowly moved enough that I hadn't noticed, and sure enough i put a hole damn near right through the weld.

Tacked the hole closed, redrilled it, & come to find out, they were just barely not centered on the headtube, by maybe 2-3mm, & that was enough to keep my brakes from working properly.

I was also never able to trust that frame because the tacked head tube sketched me out, even though it was probably fine.

It really sucks ruining brand new stuff, just work with what ya got or pay a professional to do it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/24/2018 12:01 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm with you on the squeaky brakes! I HATE THEM! It just goes against everything I was ever taught about how brakes should be ...more

You'll be fine then haha you oughta know what you're doing.

|

1/24/2018 12:11 PM

Even if you do a million bars and whips, a decent length straight cable is a good idea to start. Biz rocks one.

Typically the straight cable only snaps when you bail.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/24/2018 12:21 PM

If you want a gyro, buy a frame that's drilled and tapped? Will you be doing loads of barspins and tailwhips? Straight cable works better, and looks better. With a linear cable you'll be able to get the bars round at least once

|

1/24/2018 12:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you want a gyro, buy a frame that's drilled and tapped? Will you be doing loads of barspins and tailwhips? Straight cable ...more

I could have triple barspinned with my old linear Kink cable. Made me wonder why I was so hooked on Gyros for so long, and my brakes felt so much more smoother and stronger. Just leave it long and strap it down on your top tube & cross bar.

Also, Tree SB Linear cables are lined with Teflon on the inside, so those are your best bet for a straight or dual cable set up.

Kinks are real nice too.

|

1/24/2018 12:33 PM

I installed evo 2, g3 gyro and monolever small at the weekend....not got any tail whip skills but after coming off my disc brake rig, I was very surprised and impressed with the stopping power

|

If you build it, they will come

1/24/2018 12:38 PM

LS1982 wrote:

I installed evo 2, g3 gyro and monolever small at the weekend....not got any tail whip skills but after coming off my disc ...more

Odd, that's my exact setup. I can definitely stop on a dime, too. Ashamed to admit it, but my first ride on a bike with disc brakes sent me OTB in spectacular fashion.

|

1/24/2018 12:40 PM

LS1982 wrote:

I installed evo 2, g3 gyro and monolever small at the weekend....not got any tail whip skills but after coming off my disc ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Odd, that's my exact setup. I can definitely stop on a dime, too. Ashamed to admit it, but my first ride on a bike with disc ...more

I really wish there was a disc brake setup that could somehow be applied to BMX without getting in the way of grinds, etc... A good disc setup, even a cable driven setup really grabs AND your rims don't get screwed in the process.

|

1/24/2018 1:10 PM

On My Tall Boy I did an Odyssey Quik-Slic (medium), Odyssey Monolever (small) and a Mission Reflex brake (forged 6061) and it was super easy to install and dial-in. Doesn't squeak and locks up the rear wheel every time.

I've heard that the Odyssey Evo II doesn't fit are wide rear end, but haven't personally seen it.

Since Dan's Comp doesn't have the Reflex brake on sale for $20 anymore, I'd personally recommend the Kink Desist brake for it's wide clearance and 7075 forged arms... I've also read good things about the cast Mission Cease brake and it seem's to have long arms for clearance and it's only $16 (article review here).

Also, if you need any picture references you can always check out my Bike Check lol

|

1/24/2018 1:25 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you want a gyro, buy a frame that's drilled and tapped? Will you be doing loads of barspins and tailwhips? Straight cable ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I could have triple barspinned with my old linear Kink cable. Made me wonder why I was so hooked on Gyros for so long, and my ...more

When I had a brake and done barspins (all those years ago), I found by having the cable on the same side as my lever I could easily get a full rotation without the cable being silly long. That was before linear cables existed too. But depends which side you have your lever and which way you spin the bars

|

1/24/2018 1:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 1:34 PM

^^ I can get a full bar rotation left, or right on mine, but I do have to keep the brake cable on the same side like you said, Steve. Especially, because of my tall bars and long tt...

|

1/24/2018 1:35 PM

I run a diacompe hombre and primo lever with a huge straight cable, its stops dead and I can get two full spins on my bars before it locks up.

|

1/24/2018 2:18 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Man, if I had brakes, I'd have the squeakiest brakes EVER! I love the sound, it really scares people. I know one guy at my local parks had a squeaky brake and he rode behind me (not intentionally)and pulled the brake and, SQUEAK! tbh it scared the crap out of me and I thought it was awesome! And I was pretty jealous... but I like being brakeless becasue I get more bike control and I don't wuss out on shit... my current frame doesn't allow brakes so my next frame will have gyro holes and brake mounts and I'll probably get a kick-ass brake setup with it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/24/2018 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 2:31 PM

Photo

But this here, is the best brake on the market imo...
|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/24/2018 2:32 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Man, if I had brakes, I'd have the squeakiest brakes EVER! I love the sound, it really scares people. I know one guy at my ...more

If you want squeak get some odyssey ghost pads and put them on backwards I tell ya. They were silent when I was going forward but the screeched so much when going backwards.

|

Hmmm

1/24/2018 2:37 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I really wish there was a disc brake setup that could somehow be applied to BMX without getting in the way of grinds, etc... A ...more

Yeah, that'd be awesome. Just the effectiveness of a disk brake is so attractive. I love things that are the best at what they're designed to do.

As far as the squeak goes, for a while when I really was only riding at night, it was a good substitute for a bell or yelling. Dodging pedestrians is a huge pain here, so it would help to 'PPURRT!!" right behind a bunch of oblivious tourists.

I honestly just find it distracting though. So much of skating and BMXing is about sound to me. For example, I would LOVE for my bike to sound like Spencer Foresman's when his falls. It just sounds like one solid piece of metal. I love it. My jangly brake cables hitting the frame pretty much ensure I'll never have that locked in sound, but I do appreciate it.

|

1/24/2018 2:39 PM

Gyro.

I dont do bar spins, tailwhips or anything. But I do crash a lot and its annoying to me to have to untangle my bike after every bail. I have no problem stopping or locking up my brakes when I need to. Also makes x-ups better in my opinion.

Gyro is the best way to go if you run brakes. A bit heavier but it doesnt seem like too many people are concerned with weight on this forum.

Thats my vote. I do run straight cables too and they are nice and simple.

|

1/24/2018 2:41 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Odd, that's my exact setup. I can definitely stop on a dime, too. Ashamed to admit it, but my first ride on a bike with disc ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I really wish there was a disc brake setup that could somehow be applied to BMX without getting in the way of grinds, etc... A ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah, that'd be awesome. Just the effectiveness of a disk brake is so attractive. I love things that are the best at what ...more

Tape your cables in the areas it jangles. My bike sounds solid except for my loose pedals.

|

1/24/2018 3:05 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Unless you run front and rear brakes, all that stopping power will be wasted because you'll lose traction anyway.

My wheel always locks before I stop so...

But I can't say I don't like the feel of a good hydraulic brake like the ones from Hope.
If they could somehow make a hydraulic rim brakes, with low profile reservoir and enough modulation so that you won't crush your rim, and a clean look ... I'd buy that!

|

1/24/2018 3:09 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

On My Tall Boy I did an Odyssey Quik-Slic (medium), Odyssey Monolever (small) and a Mission Reflex brake (forged 6061) and it ...more

Well, I hope that is more true about the Evo II as that is the brake I have. Of course, I could just install that elsewhere.

|