Brake question--

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2013 10:05 PM

Does linear really have an advantage over average cable?

|

9/17/2013 10:12 PM

Yes, it won't bind up if your cable twists around from say, doing barspins/whips. Plus they're only a few bucks more

|

9/17/2013 10:17 PM

Ok sweet. Also while I got feedback I was curious since I have a brake caliper if a stock bike with aftermarket everything else(wire,lever,pads) and right now they are pretty good. So should I invest in another caliper or just get really good pads and cable.(linear)

|

9/17/2013 10:29 PM

As long as the springs in the brakes are okay, then your calipers should be fine to use. As long as you tension your brakes & cable properly then your stock brakes will work just like any aftermarket brakes. Might be slightly heavier & bulkier but not noticeable enough to matter. But yeah good pads would help, I remember when I used to ride with brakes the stock pads were horrible haha

|

9/17/2013 11:51 PM

Yeh. I'm using some sinz racing pads. Lol. They are working pretty well ATM. But I've heard koolstops and purple flys are the best in chrome. Oh and btw would that odsy k shield cable be a good idea to go with??

|

9/18/2013 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2013 1:28 PM

any pads (within reason) can be brought back to life by using a lil fine grit sandpaper (300 or above) used in conjunction with isopropyl alcohol before scuffing the pad with the fine grit. Use the alcohol to clean the rim's residue build-up as well. Toe them in proper (leading edge down slightly before tailing) and keep residue build-up down on you're braking surfaces & you're golden.

-----------------------

The linear are nothing but derailleur cable housing technology applied to brake cable housing. Check out the inner metal "wrap" between a standard brake cable housing & a derailleur cable housing to get the logic of the new linear brake cable housing. The old brake cable housing has a coil of metal that wraps around where the cable slides through in a spiral shape. Derailleur cables & linear brake cables have metal sheathing that runs the length of the entire housing. Each strand of inner-sheathing is laid very close to one another, resulting in a housing that can have greater ability to not "pinch" the cable as it is wrapped around from barspins or simply tight radius within cable routing in derailleur applications.

The standard spiral sheathing has parts of the coil that can collapse in on itself due to the fact that the gaps between each spiral run in the same direction as how a piece of housing pinches the tighter radius it achieves (again, from barspins or whatever). Because the metal runs length wise, or linear, on the cable you're eyeing up... there are no gaps in the sheathing that face the same direction as a tighter radius:

Photo

^results in a displacement of a tighter radius more efficiently rather than resulting in a compromised sheathing wrap after one of those spirals collapses over on the wrap of metal before or after it. Hope it makes sense, lulz

|

United0Cult0

9/18/2013 1:40 PM

i gotcha. but what is this toe in all about?
i just made mine flush witht the rim

|

9/18/2013 2:22 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

i gotcha. but what is this toe in all about?
i just made mine flush witht the rim

toe in allows for more torsion to be applied to the rim through the flex of the brake pad itself.

If the pad were flush - there is no ability to use the spring, or give, of the brake pad to crush down on the rim with even more force.... once the pad surface hits on a flush application, you're limited on how much more force you can apply. The pads can flex across the surface from front to back with toe in, creating a spring effect that works to your advantage. It can make the brake response upon letting go of the lever feel more lively as well, so you're not just counting on the springs on the brake arms for return rate.

Toe in also allows for more modulation of brake feel, not so jerky in the characteristics of stopping. Lastly, it helps eliminate the dreaded brake "squeal". That barking/chirping of flush pads that is so annoying.

Photo

|

United0Cult0

9/18/2013 4:23 PM

So will that give me better response? I like how my brakes lock up as soon as i even start to squeeze.

|

9/18/2013 4:46 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

So will that give me better response? I like how my brakes lock up as soon as i even start to squeeze.

yes. You can clamp down on the rim with the 1st half of the brake pad harder since you have the "give" (or flex) of the last half of the pad to use to crush the 1st half of the pad in to the rim harder.

If the pads are flush, you can only smash the pad against the rim so hard cuz there is no flex available to really compress that pad against the face of the wheel... when flush - you would need to be able to compress the entire pads durometer, at the fixed even rate, to get the same bite that is available with toe in.

With toe in, you don't have to count on soft pad durometer to create clamping power, you've built the ability of flex in to the rim/pad dynamic/mechanism to create unrivaled torsion on the braking surface.

|

United0Cult0

9/18/2013 8:19 PM

For the calipers stock ones should be good you can take them off and put some grease on the mount to make it smoother. If you have good pads and a cable then you can get any caliper to work good with some time dialing them in. If you did upgrade odysseys are good I have them but I think if I ever get new ones I might get either Demolition or Fly.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/18/2013 9:27 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

Yeh. I'm using some sinz racing pads. Lol. They are working pretty well ATM. But I've heard koolstops and purple flys are the best in chrome. Oh and btw would that odsy k shield cable be a good idea to go with??

Owned those pads for 3 years now and am going to buy more, best stuff I've gotten yet. Stops you so freaking quickly.

|

9/18/2013 9:54 PM

Ight thanks guys. I'll look more into the toeing shiz.

|

9/19/2013 6:24 AM

or you can just not have brakes.

|

9/19/2013 7:32 AM

WalmartTrike wrote:

or you can just not have brakes.

or you can gtfo the thread

|

9/19/2013 7:48 PM

BRANDON_90 wrote:

or you can gtfo the thread