Brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2011 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2011 2:51 PM

So i'm gonna put some brakes on my bike (front brakes for flatland) and I'm having a hard time knowing what to buy. I wanna get odyssey cs2 freestyle forks with the zero offset, odyssey monolever, evo 2 brakes, and either the odyssey slic, or linear cable. my question is, whats the difference between the slic and linear cable? and is there anything else I need to know about brakes?

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

6/16/2011 3:02 PM

SWEET! Is this bike you're putting the zero offset on gonna be a flatland only bike? Zeros' are great if it's a flatland only bike. I'm not a fan of zeros' on street or park, just cause the front end gets WAY too squirrely. I have the DECO with removable mounts 28mm that I run on my "ALL" around bike. I've always ran Hombre brakes just because they work so good at a cheap affordable price. Odyssey makes an awesome brake and lever set up. It's all good. DO NOT USE A LINEAR CABLE ON A FRONT BRAKE SET UP. The housing is so stiff that it will actually keep one of the arms from releasing properly. Good old slick cable is what you want. Deco semi-slick, Deco Fu-Forks... ERRRT!

|

6/16/2011 3:22 PM

Nice. Good to know. The bike is gonna be for mainly flatland riding. And by squirrely you mean like very hard to control or like very figity and easy to turn? And would zero offset be a good thing to have or should I go the next size up on the forks for more control?

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

6/16/2011 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2011 4:31 PM

Josh321 wrote:

Nice. Good to know. The bike is gonna be for mainly flatland riding. And by squirrely you mean like very hard to control or like very figity and easy to turn? And would zero offset be a good thing to have or should I go the next size up on the forks for more control?

By squirrely I mean that it feels like your bars are gonna start spinning if you let go riding down the street. I ride a little bit of everything, street, flat, park, and I love jumping. So zero is way to knarley for me. I have many flatland friends that run zero offset on their bikes so I am WAY familiar with what the different offsets feel like. For flatland tricks zero offset are awesome. I ran Primo Strands for a minute on street and ramps and wasn't too stoked on it and those are 13mm. I got really good at sliding out of fakie tricks because the front wheel would want to do it's own thing instead of just chilling out in front of me. If you think about 180'ing down some stairs with your bars backwards (that's a little extreme) but that's what it felt like to me. I run Deco Fu-Forks with 28mm offset with removable mounts and I'm pretty stoked on them. Zero offset will definitely help you learn front wheel tricks which is awesome if that's what you're trying to learn... Flatland. The other thing I was thinking about... most of the new forks have "low profile" brake mounts on them. I told you hombre's but I had to modify them because of the bend in the brake arm. You need to get brakes that have "flat" arms like THESE . Can you see a bend on the lower arm on THIS ? See how the bottom arm bends back on the Hombres' ? It will actually rub on the fork, so there are "Front Brake" specific brakes. Any questions... Hollar!

|

6/16/2011 5:20 PM

cool. good to know. also, the evo 2 brakes will work on the flatware forks right?

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

6/16/2011 6:24 PM

Josh321 wrote:

cool. good to know. also, the evo 2 brakes will work on the flatware forks right?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Photo

Terry Adams Set Up Here!
|

6/16/2011 6:25 PM

linear

|

i ride a Sunday

Refs: irideafly, subrosarider65, ridebmx456, ayobmx, spikez5

cell #: 424-219-2490

6/16/2011 6:39 PM

Jake_Short wrote:

linear

Linear binds up the arms on the brakes. Will NOT work!

|

6/16/2011 6:42 PM

Jake_Short wrote:

linear

linear is good for back brakes but suck for front brakes... go with ODY Slic cable

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

6/16/2011 7:14 PM

Josh321 wrote:

well then I'll take that as a yes. thanks for all the help bro. appreciate it.

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

6/16/2011 7:23 PM

Josh321 wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]

Photo

Terry Adams Set Up Here!

Josh321 wrote:

well then I'll take that as a yes. thanks for all the help bro. appreciate it.

No problem at all. Not sure if those mounts have the allen heads built in to tighten them onto the forks, but if not hit me up and I'll show you how to put the posts in the correct way WITHOUT vice grips, pliers, or any of the other ways dudes use that jack up the mounts. Need any help at all with those brakes... Hollar!

|