Brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2017 2:42 PM

I have painted black rims and clear pads on my brakes. They squeal like a pig. Anybody have any tips on a different type of brake pad or some way to reduce the squealing?

|

6/11/2017 4:20 PM

Ever try going brakeless for a while? I never thought I'd get into it, but after a while I really started to love the simplicity. It's one less thing to worry about. My feet always stop me just as fast as brakes ever did, and they always work perfectly. I rarely have to use them though except when I'm coming to a complete stop. You start to realize how un necessary brakes on a bmx really are. I just picked up a new second hand custom, with brakes. I'm going to try to leave them on for a little while, but not forever. I'll see how it goes

|

6/11/2017 5:26 PM

I love the squeal of my clear pads! Means the brakes work!

|

6/11/2017 5:39 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Ever try going brakeless for a while? I never thought I'd get into it, but after a while I really started to love the simplicity. It's one less thing to worry about. My feet always stop me just as fast as brakes ever did, and they always work perfectly. I rarely have to use them though except when I'm coming to a complete stop. You start to realize how un necessary brakes on a bmx really are. I just picked up a new second hand custom, with brakes. I'm going to try to leave them on for a little while, but not forever. I'll see how it goes

It's funny, I thought about it for a minute today but I like brakes, just not this setup. I used to have chrome rims and and I ran salmon Koolstops. They worked perfectly with minimal noise. I think maybe I just hate painted rims. They look cool but they are noisy as fuck.

|

6/11/2017 5:44 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I love the squeal of my clear pads! Means the brakes work!

I could handle a little squeak but this is like an angry mutant flock of geese.

|

6/11/2017 6:55 PM

use one black and one clear pad?

I can't stand loud brakes.

|

6/11/2017 6:58 PM

the way the guys stop the squeal at my LBS is just clean the face of the rim

are you running v brakes?

|

6/11/2017 7:25 PM

pnj wrote:

use one black and one clear pad?

I can't stand loud brakes.

My son has black pads on his painted rims and he has no squeak. Might try that. I'm messing with the toe in a bit and it's getting a little better.

|

6/11/2017 7:26 PM

RypRyder wrote:

the way the guys stop the squeal at my LBS is just clean the face of the rim

are you running v brakes?

I cleaned the rims with alcohol and they were pretty clean. I didn't clean the pads though. Might try sanding them if this toe in fails.

|

6/11/2017 7:53 PM

Try different colored pads, clear ones are known to squeak.

Also when you toe them in, have them angled just the slightest bit so the end of the pad touches the rim first, rather than the entire pad touching the rim at the same time. like this (not my photo) also try sanding the pads a little bit, it'll remove some of the glaze

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

6/11/2017 9:10 PM

I'm running gum pads on a painted black rim and I have the same squeak. I really like it, though, haha.

Keep in mind that if you swap to black pads, you won't have as powerful a stop. That diagram above is helpful, too.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/11/2017 9:13 PM

Wear headphones so you won't hear them. Fuck everyone else lol

|

fack off

6/11/2017 9:33 PM

I think I'm just going to try some black pads or I think there's grey ones on my old bike(it's in storage so I can't look)and they didn't squeak. I wouldn't care if it was a little squeak but it is resonating through my bike and it's crazy loud.

|

6/12/2017 2:55 AM

If you have salmon Koolstops, just sand them down a little.

I had the same issue with black rims and clear pads.

Switched to salmon Koolstops and for 2 months it was all ok

Then it started again.

Sanded them and all is good now.

Although the noise is good if you want to scare off assholes who occupy the whole sidewalk or the bike lanes

|

6/12/2017 2:56 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I think I'm just going to try some black pads or I think there's grey ones on my old bike(it's in storage so I can't look)and they didn't squeak. I wouldn't care if it was a little squeak but it is resonating through my bike and it's crazy loud.

Gray or black pads will take paint off.

I had typed up the most common reasons why pads squeal and the fixes for each one. But, somehow it won't post it.

I suggest going to YouTube and putting in: how to setup 990 u brakes. It will cover everything from toe in to spring tension. If they are new, you will have to let them break in some. I always make sure my rims and pads are clean, that they are toed in and the spring tension is perfect. Unless you know how to dial in brakes, don't touch the springs. Too many people over do it and crush them. If you run a gyro like I do, you also want to be sure that the gyro is sitting on the gyro tabs on the frame if you aren't pulling the lever. If it isn't you need to adjust the upper cables and barrels so they are all the way loose. Then tighten the bottom cables till it rests on the frame tabs.

Keep in mind if you watch Scotty Cramner or Harry Main videos, someone who runs brakes always has a decent squeal. Matter fact, Vins bike was used in a very recent video on Scotty's channel and it was squealing enough to be heard on the gopro over the yelling and commentaries.

|

6/12/2017 4:09 AM

Oh man my cousin has the same bike you have (WTP Atlas 24) and the brakes squeal like a pig. A lot of towing adjustment had to be made and even still they do squeal.

Mine dont. Theyre black pads on black rims so even with half ass towing they dont squeal at all.

|

6/12/2017 7:51 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Oh man my cousin has the same bike you have (WTP Atlas 24) and the brakes squeal like a pig. A lot of towing adjustment had to be made and even still they do squeal.

Mine dont. Theyre black pads on black rims so even with half ass towing they dont squeal at all.

I've never had any issues, then again I can dial brakes in my sleep now. Plus, I run a gyro with 2 separate lower cables. Meaning after I get the spring tension where I like it. I then have my lever, all 4 gyro barrels, straddle cable (I don't run one however) and both of my lower cables to fine tune everything.

I just love my brakes and crazy as it sounds I love to dial them in. All the guys I ride with or have rode with since the 80's know that and take advantage. I have probably setup and adjusted more brakes than any shop. When I got ride I get hit up by around 4-6 guys who have some issues. lol still love BMX so I don't mind doing it as long as they give me a few bucks (most do) and I have time to ride

|

6/12/2017 7:52 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Try different colored pads, clear ones are known to squeak.

Also when you toe them in, have them angled just the slightest bit so the end of the pad touches the rim first, rather than the entire pad touching the rim at the same time. like this (not my photo) also try sanding the pads a little bit, it'll remove some of the glaze

[LINK TO IMAGE]

And you don't want them hitting flat. That tears up pads and sounds like some dying animal lol

|

6/12/2017 11:55 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I have painted black rims and clear pads on my brakes. They squeal like a pig. Anybody have any tips on a different type of brake pad or some way to reduce the squealing?

Squeak means they're are working. Leave them be.

|

6/13/2017 9:23 AM

This year i decided to ride with brakes it feels different I have to get used to riding with brakes again but I do like it.

|

6/15/2017 8:07 AM

My parents want me to start riding with brakes because they said riding without brakes are to dangerous.

|