Brakes and Barspins

Related:
Create New Tag

8/23/2018 3:23 AM

I'm considering trying out a brake now that I have a frame that allows me to run one. I've never run a brake on BMX before so it'd be cool to learn some new tricks! I'm looking at the Evo 2.5 with a GTX gyro, I've heard these are good and coming from working on hydraulic disk brakes on MTB most of my life I'm not messing around with basic setups, I'll just end up hating brakes!

I've noticed I can only find the Odyssey M2 lever in the right hand variant, but I think I would need to run it on the left as I catch barspins with my right hand. Are these levers universal? I know it'll look crap flipped, but it'll work okay right?

Secondly, is it possible to get one finger braking dialled in to the point that you can with hydro brakes? I always used one finger on my old MTB dirt jumper and it would be weird to have to use two.

|

8/23/2018 3:28 AM

Heres my brake setup,

Odyssey M2 lever and upper cable, GTX-S gyro, linear kink dual lower cables, and Odyssey EVO 2.5 brake.

Dialed as hell.cool

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/23/2018 4:31 AM

Oh and i use one finger to brake and i can lock them wheel with one finger... so ive never ridden hydraulic brakes, but mine feels pretty smooth!

|

8/23/2018 4:53 AM

You won't get near hydraulic performance but slic dual cables with some chain lube and minimal bends in the cables should work very well.

|

Hmmm

8/23/2018 5:04 AM

The M2 brake lever (LEEver, for you brits) is supposedly designed to run on the left or the right. But lets face it, ALL levers are "designed" to work on the left or right. It doesn't look optimal but they work.

|

8/23/2018 5:54 AM

I run tech 77 brake lever, oddyssey gtx-s gyro and demolition brakes.

|

8/23/2018 9:00 AM

I'll be using a left odyssey lever on the right. It'll still work exactly the same, just won't look quite as dialled

|

8/23/2018 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2018 11:04 AM

I run an M2 on the right and catch with my right hand. The M2 is small enough and can be mounted out of the way enough to comfortably still catch the bars. At least for me.

Personally, I also recommend a full on Odyssey brake setup. I know there's good stuff out there but...I just trust Odyssey implicitly.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/23/2018 11:07 AM

I run a lever on the right With no issues catching with right. Just position your lever in a good location and you should have no issues. Although I learned bars when I rode front and back brakes.

|

8/23/2018 12:41 PM

I don't throw bars. Im more of a tailwhip kinda guycool

|

8/23/2018 12:47 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You wish..... wink

|

8/23/2018 12:49 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I've heard you have some of the quickest whips around wink

|

8/23/2018 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2018 1:27 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You wish..... wink

laughing

I never said i can do themsilly I just feel more comfortable throwing whips then throwing bars if you know what I mean..

I will be working on them again after my wrist is healed and im comfortable on my bike again...
|

8/23/2018 1:26 PM

fooby wrote:

I've heard you have some of the quickest whips around wink

You heard rightwink

|

8/23/2018 10:12 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote: laughing

I never said i can do themsilly I just feel more comfortable throwing whips then throwing bars if you know what I mean..

I will ...more

I feel you, I really don't like to let go of the bars for some reason. Trying to work on that tho

|