Brakes and Rim

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2014 2:58 PM

Hey guys like i said i'll try and be active on vital bmx so yeah i'm back and i'm having problems with my bike well recently i've noticed that the Rim or wall not sure what the part is called, but yeah the paint is scratching off and i'm worried it will get worse i''ve been told it's the brake's that are scratching it so i don't know what to do thats problem number 1. problem number 2 is my brake keeps screeching every time i use it and it's loud sad

so any help on that would be great thanks

|

instagram: @TandosAwesome | Bike Check: N/A | Xbox gamertag: OS2 Tando

1/15/2014 3:04 PM

yes the brakes are rubbing on the rim causing the paint to rub off. it has no effect other than visual. it does not weaken anything. and the brakes can get annoying, you have 2 options. #1 don't use your brakes except when you absolutely need to/ remove the brakes all together. or #2 get brake pads that don't squeek. i don't ride brakes so don't ask me for recommendations.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

1/15/2014 3:07 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

yes the brakes are rubbing on the rim causing the paint to rub off. it has no effect other than visual. it does not weaken anything. and the brakes can get annoying, you have 2 options. #1 don't use your brakes except when you absolutely need to/ remove the brakes all together. or #2 get brake pads that don't squeek. i don't ride brakes so don't ask me for recommendations.

Thanks Feeble :D i'll look for new pads see if that helps smile thanks again

|

1/15/2014 3:13 PM

If you keep your rim & pads clean, it doesn't take the paint off as fast.

|

1/15/2014 3:18 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If you keep your rim & pads clean, it doesn't take the paint off as fast.

i did have some sand/mud on there, i think it's time to clean my wheels tongue

|

1/15/2014 4:30 PM

I had a similar issue. I no longer have brakes smile

|

1/15/2014 7:40 PM

What kind of brake pads do you currently have? Make sure you clean your rim once in a while I use a little bit of rubbing alcohol on mine but idk if that would fuck up the paint more because I have anodized rims which by the way suck for brakes I think painted rims brake better even if the paint does rub off, I'm gonna get chrome rims as of right now.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

1/16/2014 1:28 AM

Happened to me too, then i went brakeless.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/16/2014 9:44 AM

If you use clear pads (which usually do make a noise), keep your rim clean, and have hard anodized rims then the colour will last longer. But I just let mine get scratched, it's not like it affects the bikes performance or anything (Although it is a good idea to keep you rims clean as it affects braking power).

|

1/16/2014 9:51 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

If you use clear pads (which usually do make a noise), keep your rim clean, and have hard anodized rims then the colour will last longer. But I just let mine get scratched, it's not like it affects the bikes performance or anything (Although it is a good idea to keep you rims clean as it affects braking power).

Yeah i cleaned my brakes and rims today and it's made a difference so yeah thanks to everyone for the advice :D tongue

|

1/16/2014 10:01 AM

You can also sand your break pads a little bit I usually do that once in a while it helps

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

1/16/2014 10:06 AM

The squeaking is normal, it usually means that they are working probably. Mine are pretty loud and work like a charm. And yes, obviously the friction between the pads and rim removes paint from the rim and rubber from the pad over time. Youll probably need new pads every 6months or so. If the paint comes off of your wheel and you have brakes, it doesn't look bad. If you run brakes for a while and take them off with your rim rawed on the sides, it looks stupid lol. I run brakes religiously and generally dont give a fuck about my sidewalls. Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/16/2014 11:18 AM

Clear pads

Or you could take your brakes off tongue

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

1/16/2014 4:32 PM

that's just what brakes do man

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/16/2014 8:44 PM

What might help to reduce the screeching is to toe in the brake pads so that the front of the brake pad contacts the rim before the back of the brake pad.

|

1/17/2014 9:20 AM

I have over a year on my Ano red demolition zero, no noticeable break wear with clear pads and I clean them occasionally.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/3/2019 4:31 PM

I was dealing with the same thing, got a new g sport chrome laced up, problem solved. Paint and friction dont mix well, go chrome.

|

9/4/2019 12:57 PM

thesonofsand wrote:

I was dealing with the same thing, got a new g sport chrome laced up, problem solved. Paint and friction dont mix well, go chrome.

I’m almost certain that he has figured out the solution to his problem after 5 years. Check the dates ya bozo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/4/2019 1:19 PM

thesonofsand wrote:

aw poor little guy has a super slow internet connection ☹️☹️

|

9/4/2019 8:04 PM

Even chrome will get rub spots eventually. Mine are 4 years old and have those wear streaks showing but it isn't completely bare.

|

9/5/2019 4:06 AM

Beamex wrote:

Even chrome will get rub spots eventually. Mine are 4 years old and have those wear streaks showing but it isn't completely bare.

But 4 years is still a lot longer than half a year. Mine scratched up in less than half a year, but I don't care.

|

9/5/2019 11:11 PM

Brakes were never squealing and hopeless 10 plus years ago. The brakeless trend seems to have resulted in brands churning out garbage quality brake pads and also the quality of rim finish is nothing on back in the day, chrome doesn't seem to be as good these days.

Odyssey ghost pads if you want quiet and average braking quality, I've found the squealing type pads rarely work better anyway.

|

9/6/2019 3:59 AM

streethack wrote:

Brakes were never squealing and hopeless 10 plus years ago. The brakeless trend seems to have resulted in brands churning out garbage quality brake pads and also the quality of rim finish is nothing on back in the day, chrome doesn't seem to be as good these days.

Odyssey ghost pads if you want quiet and average braking quality, I've found the squealing type pads rarely work better anyway.

Old thread, BUT it was more like 15-20 years ago brakes sucked.

They have been awesome for about a decade now, with the introduction of clear pads.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2019 6:38 PM

streethack wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Old thread, BUT it was more like 15-20 years ago brakes sucked.

They have been awesome for about a decade now, with the introduction of clear pads.

Bullshit, never had brakes that didn't work awesome back in the day. And none of this squealing shit like these days, clear pads are just a bandaid for average finish rims.

|

9/6/2019 8:40 PM

Clear pads fucking suck.

|

9/7/2019 4:14 PM

I've run black, salmon and clear. So far odyssey clear ghost pads are my preference. Yeah they squeak a bit but whatever... they work. Whatever compound is used for opaque pads seems to have less grip albeit they are significantly more quiet

|