Brakes and Tires

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2020 6:29 AM

So, I typically prefer a narrower tire and run something around 2.0-ish (mainly because I have felt fatter tires seem "sluggish" to me). I know 2.4's and even 2.5's have been popular for various reason. As I am building up the Soundwave, I intend to have brakes. While I may not need it, I'm thinking of going with a brake that is 2.5 compatible in the off chance that I would want to run a larger tire. Can anyone think of any "cons" to this approach? On a related note, what "pros" do you "fat tire" guys find in running a larger tire over a narrower tire (in this case, let's say a 2.4 vs. a 2.0)?

|

3/11/2020 6:41 AM

One pro I have found to riding wider tires is foot jams are much easier as there is more surface area on the tire another big pro to it is that tire rides become easier. On the con side bowls dont flow nearly as fast if you ride pegs and do alot of grinds the odds of the tire grabbing the ledge or rail is more likely. Now pros to the skinny tire is you will roll faster your turning is much quicker and less drag carving in bowls. Cons to the skinny tire high impact drops may hurt your wrists and ankles you may not be able to find a tread pattern you like as most companies only make 2.25 and larger now.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

3/11/2020 7:12 AM

Smaller tires are faster and lighter. If you want brakes that work with bigger tires get odyssey eco 2.5

|

fack off

3/11/2020 8:11 AM

Odyssey Evo 2.5s are nice brakes. I run 2.25s on my 20 and 2.3s on my 22. I've had 2.4s on both. Fatter tires definitely have more of a balloonish smooth ride but are noticeably slower.

|

3/11/2020 8:35 AM

Run higher pressure in bigger tires. Speeds it up. I run 2.4 on both and just run higher tire pressure.

I think wider tires make manuals easier.

|

3/11/2020 8:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2020 8:58 AM

Yeah, I wonder if you got a tire that goes up to 100psi if you'd feel the same way about it. But then again for me the upside to fat tires is the way the "feel". I think they're probably more cushier than thinner tires. Which for me feels niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Out of all my bikes I ride for exercise my daughter's has the widest at 2.3. Kenda K rads and that bike FEELS like 10x better than the rest of them. Maybe it's also the quality of the tire though. The other ones all have cheaper tires on them. But nothing bigger than 2.125.

I have 2.125 cheap tires on my cheap bmx bike and it was hard as a rock when landing. LOL. I have the tires on the shovelhead at a higher PSI and they still feel way better than that thing. But again, probably quality of the tires makes a difference. The cheap 2.125 were Bell tires I bought from Kmart. LOL.

I debated on getting thinner tires after I heard what you said about them but I really think I prefer fatter ones. I don't think I'd want to go lower than 2.25-2.3.

But obviously, a total newb's persepective. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/11/2020 10:11 AM

2.1 in front and 1.85 in the rear and 100psi. I can’t ride big tires. They bike feels slow and gross. I’d imagine footjams might be easier. But my bar end in my forks let’s me do them just a good and have the same gap as a 2.4. Since every fork accommodates these wide tires. My bike looks silly with all this extra room

|

3/11/2020 10:12 AM

The larger tires (2.3 and up) provide more surface area for your riding. This can be beneficial in street and park as you may be riding spots where the larger tires help with rail rides, catching smaller edges or wall rides, or even more stability on landings due to the feel. If you have ridden smaller tires 2.1-2.25 in the past and have performed well on them, then I would get larger tires on a trial basis and see if the larger surface area benefits you.

As far as brakes, the EVO 2.0 is a great break as mentioned earlier, but I prefer the Odyssey Springfield for two reason. 1) ease of installation and removal and 2) the Springfield's single spring system which makes adjustments (narrow or wider) much easier.

Hope this helps. Happy Riding!

|