Brakes or Brakeless?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/1/2014 1:11 AM

I ride with backbrakes and I constantly get told to take them off. But I like being in control of my speed. Do you ride with or without them? And what's your thoughts on brakes?

I do intend to take them off until I learn barspins, about 80% of the way there the lever just screws me up.

|

12/1/2014 1:38 AM

ride whats comfortable for you, its all about opinion and personal preference in bmx and thats why its called bmx freestyle because every rider is each of their own with style, how their bike looks and what tricks they do. if you ride park and use your brake for tricks then why not keep it on if thats what you like, if you just feel safer until you have more bike control if you want to be brakless take them off.

|

12/1/2014 5:21 AM

I ride front and back brakes. Fuck what people think.

I also use Small Odyssey levers and they have never got in the way when throwing or catching bars, but i always take my foot off so ive only.actually landed two.barspins.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/1/2014 5:24 AM

Be cool and don't follow trends as they come, I run brakes and a high seat.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/1/2014 6:25 AM

just ride how you like, if you want to use brakes use them and don't let any idiot tell you to take them off, I like riding with no brakes because that's how I've been riding my whole life, I always took the brakes off my bike even when I was a little kid way before it was the "cool thing to do", now it pisses me off because kids do it to be cool and that's not why I did it in the first place, if you like your brakes man just keep them and when some idiot comes up to you and tells you to take them off tell them to fuck off.

|

My FBM bike check

12/1/2014 6:38 AM

Not following trends is the new trend, do whatever the fuck you wanna do.

|

12/1/2014 6:41 AM

I don't care much about trends. I was mainly trying to figure out what you guys think the benefits are to brakes, and the benefits to riding brakeless. Same story with the cons.

|

12/1/2014 6:47 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Not following trends is the new trend, do whatever the fuck you wanna do.

This is so true.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

12/1/2014 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2014 6:50 AM

Fuck trends, I rock brakes and a number plate on my street ride. Which is also flourescent red and vapor blue, along with having 4 pegs and a coaster with flanged grips.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

12/1/2014 6:51 AM

I don't know if there's any pros or cons really, it's just how you feel comfortable riding, the reason I never really use brakes was because I hate brake levers I never wanted to deal with brakes and I feel that I ride more high speed with no brakes and I like speed.

|

My FBM bike check

12/1/2014 7:00 AM

Crit wrote:

I don't care much about trends. I was mainly trying to figure out what you guys think the benefits are to brakes, and the ...more

with a brake its gunna cause wear on your rim and then if you have coloured rim where the pads rub its gunna strip the paint back to silver. - Con

brakes are a shitload of maintenance to keep them running nice, and even then youre gunna need to know what youre doing to be able to maintain it to a high standard. - Con

lever gets in the way and is quite annoying regardless of youre ability to barpsin, especially in winter youre gunna feel the pain from that break liver if you clip your cold hand on it. - Con

broader range of tricks e.g fufs, abubica, etc.. - Pro

ability to control speed easier - Pro

looks steezy if you run a straight cable & flow about - Pro straight cables limit your ability to throw multiple barspins or kick whips in a line, plus are hassle every time if you want to do a bar or a whip - Con

doesnt wreck your shoes,tyres if youre not sticking your foot in there - pro

still can wreck your tyre if you skid - con

|

12/1/2014 7:08 AM

Crit wrote:

I don't care much about trends. I was mainly trying to figure out what you guys think the benefits are to brakes, and the ...more

seanyatesy wrote:

with a brake its gunna cause wear on your rim and then if you have coloured rim where the pads rub its gunna strip the paint ...more

clear/gum pads prevent the wear almost fully

brakes are not a shitload of maintenence. set up once and go unless a cable breaks

the lever doesnt get in the way if it's on the side you throw with rather than catch

if you're doing bars and whips like crazy a straight cable shouldnt inhibit anything since you should be smart enough to run a gyro

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

12/1/2014 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2014 7:30 AM

tomdon wrote:

brakes are not a shitload of maintenence. set up once and go unless a cable ...more

I'm gonna say painted rims still wear bad. Ano maybe not, i'm gonna find that out here soon.

Sometimes my brakes start binding and i have to regrease and tighten etc.

Everything comes with the territory, People who run brakes are more likely to be better at mechanical things & don't mind working on their bikes more often, that's just because 2/10 people with brakes are uneducated and 8/10 know how to work on them.

Really, brakes aren't hard, gyros i'm assuming are fairly easy, i just have never gone from no gyro to gyro so i wouldn't know how to set one up from scratch.

|

12/1/2014 7:25 AM

Crit wrote:

seanyatesy wrote:

with a brake its gunna cause wear on your rim and then if you have coloured rim where the pads rub its gunna strip the paint ...more

tomdon wrote:

brakes are not a shitload of maintenence. set up once and go unless a cable ...more

clear pads wear paint just as much as any in my experience

brakes are a lot of maintenance if you want a nice feeling brake as when cables stretch too much it gives too much slack on the level causing the lever to be pulled back closer to the grip over time so need cables replaced

having a lever on your throwing side could be annoying if youre doing oppo bars / learnign bar taps cos youre not catching the level to pull the breaks.

and 2 barspins or a barspin and a tailwhip in one line isnt considered crazy i dont think

|

12/1/2014 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2014 7:32 AM

"brakes are a lot of maintenance if you want a nice feeling brake as when cables stretch too much it gives too much slack on the level causing the lever to be pulled back closer to the grip over time so need cables replaced "

#1 we have pre-stretched cables for a reason. #2 You just tighten the cable, you don't have to replace it.

Also, Clear pads were created (i may be wrong here) To give better braking while not wearing down the finish on the rim as quickly.

|

12/1/2014 7:41 AM

from my experience, pre stretched cables are all fine yes but when you have to spend time mainting the tabs on the gyros where you have to loosen and tighten then when the cables inevitably stretches more and more, also i use to run a break and clear pads and it may not wear as quickly as other pads but from my own and other peers of mine experience they do wear enough to notice within a slightly longer period of time over other pads, still not much improvement

|

12/1/2014 7:45 AM

Anyone who tells you to take your brakes off is an idiot.

Seriously, ride how you like. And as to barspins without a lever, when you go to put them on, you will be messed up by that lever. What is the actual issue there? Is it just hitting your hand hard or'?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/1/2014 7:50 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

If you use your brakes at minimum (tricks, emergency stops, slowing down, etc.) on anodized rims, the finish can last for years.

I replace my Koolstop Supra2 pads and my cables once a year, relube my cables every six month, and replace my springs every two years. I probably spend 30mins a year working on my brakes. Doesn't require hardly any maintenance when set up properly and barrel adjusters are tightened correctly.

I run Odyssey Small levers angled downwards and about 1/4" past the end of my grip and they never get in the way.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/1/2014 7:53 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Anyone who tells you to take your brakes off is an idiot.

Seriously, ride how you like. And as to barspins without a lever, ...more

When I do a barspin I tend to grab the break on the catch.

|

12/1/2014 7:56 AM

You guys have been talking about maintenance and this has been my last hour. I took it completely apart and have been piecing it back together. Photo

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If you use your brakes at minimum (tricks, emergency stops, slowing down, etc.) on anodized rims, the finish can last for ...more

i understand fully where you are coming from, but being able to set up a proper brake isnt something anyone can do, it takes the know how on how you want your brake to feel and how much tension you want etc.. if you dont set up a brake properly a lot of maintienence is needed, also not everyone has anodized rims.

and yeah but not everybody uses their brake at a minimum, especially if other people use your bike, i know you can say "dont let people ride your bike" but at the end of the day youre gunna let people go on it and thats when it also gets fucked.

im talking all from experience not only on my own bike but my friends as well and yeah you all make valid points, when in reality its a lot harder

|

Crit wrote:

You guys have been talking about maintenance and this has been my last hour. I took it completely apart and have been piecing ...more

good luck setting it up nice with used cables etc

|

12/1/2014 7:59 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

good luck setting it up nice with used cables etc

It's raining for the next 3 days and the closest indoor park is 3 hours away. So I have plenty of time lol.

|

12/1/2014 8:00 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

brakes are a lot of maintenance if you want a nice feeling brake ...more

In mine they don't. 2 + years on red rims, no noticeable wear.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/1/2014 8:00 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

i understand fully where you are coming from, but being able to set up a proper brake isnt something anyone can do, it takes ...more

Maybe.... You should stop giving a shit if your rims wear. Setting up a brake to feel good is only difficult once.

|

12/1/2014 8:03 AM

tomdon wrote:

seanyatesy wrote:

brakes are a lot of maintenance if you want a nice feeling brake ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

In mine they don't. 2 + years on red rims, no noticeable wear.

I've had mine for about 3 years, they have scratches but nothing caused from brakes.

|

12/1/2014 8:05 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Maybe.... You should stop giving a shit if your rims wear. Setting up a brake to feel good is only difficult once.

im brakless now and when i ran a brake i still cared about my rim, i like my bike to look nice is that such a bad thing? haha i did say that setting up a nice brake takes one go but you neeed to know what youre doing properly in order to do this and if you dont you are then stuck maintaining a shit brake.

|

12/1/2014 8:06 AM

Crit wrote:

It's raining for the next 3 days and the closest indoor park is 3 hours away. So I have plenty of time lol.

thats another point actually, rain, when your bike gets wet from rain and you use your breaks it fucks with it

|

12/1/2014 8:21 AM

seanyatesy wrote:

thats another point actually, rain, when your bike gets wet from rain and you use your breaks it fucks with it

My bike has actually never gotten wet once lol. I do not let it get near any water unless it's on a rag and I dry it off immediately.

|

12/1/2014 8:24 AM

Crit wrote:

seanyatesy wrote:

Crit wrote:

My bike has actually never gotten wet once lol. I do not let it get near any water unless it's on a rag and I dry it off ...more

yeah youre the same as me then mate, i hate even going through puddles, rather avoid water at every chance haha

|