Brakes or no brakes?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/21/2018 10:08 AM

Hi, I'm new to BMX and I'm on the hunt for a first BMX bike. On my search so far I've found that bike have brakes and some don't. My main question is whats the difference? My interest in the sport of course came from watching someone do cool tricks on their bike and thinking "thats so f***ing cool". while watching videos, I've learned the names of tricks and whatnot and I thought "wouldn't it be hard to bar-spin with the brakes in the way?" I also figured some bikes might have brakes in the cranks. Anyways, if anyone would answer this, It'd be greatly appreciated.

|

I like bikes...

4/21/2018 10:13 AM

Definitely brakes, at least for the first while until you gain some bike control, at which point you'd then decide whether or not you wanted to keep them.

Brakes don't really make a difference for barspins if you have enough cable slack or a gyro.

Back-pedal brakes are not really something you'll find on a BMX.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/21/2018 10:22 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Definitely brakes, at least for the first while until you gain some bike control, at which point you'd then decide whether or ...more

This. Loads of riders are brakeless, but anyone that started more than just a few years ago probably learnt to ride with a brake. As someone just starting, you won't gain any benefits from not having one, and they open up loads of cool simple tricks

|

4/21/2018 11:22 AM

BMX would mean nothing without abubacas.

|

4/21/2018 2:13 PM

After 35+ years of riding...brakes are something I wont ride without. I dont hate on people who dont ride them. However, over the years I have had only a back brake, only a front, front and rear and rode brakeless.

To be honest, I have YET to run into anyone who has as big a trick list as the people I know who run brakes. It just adds more control to riding and lets you cheat in some situations.I'm nottalking about pro riders but your average guy at a skate park. Great example, without them if you manual you have to hope your control isgood enough to keep you locked into it. With them you can cheat by using the brakes to drop the front end some with a light pull of the lever. Much as I hate an excuse for someone not doing a trick. Sometimes after a few run ups to feel out something your still unsure. Without brakes, you cant stop as easy when this happens. With them, if after a few run ups and your unsure if you should send it or not...you pull the lever and your safe...not always that easy without them.

I honestly say to anyone who rides to use them 6 months and goto a track or some trails and learn bike handling skills. Then, after 6 months, you should have the ability to decide if your skills are good enough to take them off and still have the control you had (well close to it, you will never have the same control) with them. If you think you do, take them off if you want.

BOTTOM LINE, I have seen too many kids try to start brakeless and get hurt. Some not too bad and others took a trip to the ER. UNTIL you have bike control WITH them, taking them off could be 1- Reducing the tricks you can do. 2- Could cause an injury and who wants to be hurt and off the bike for weeks...or worse?

|

4/21/2018 2:15 PM

Neither , ride with an anchor attached to your bike

|

4/21/2018 3:13 PM

I don't care what anyone says but if you want to ride trails you'll need em. I don't know anyone who rides anything worth riding(trails wise)without em, it's just too dangerous and scary. For everything else they're not as necessary but riding thru traffic is horrible without Imo. Like everyone else said it opens up a lot of tricks as well. I'm glad I started with racing as a youngster it gave me a lot of technical skills and brakes were mandatory so I got used to it

|

@coupd_tat

4/21/2018 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2018 4:44 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

I don't care what anyone says but if you want to ride trails you'll need em. I don't know anyone who rides anything worth ...more

Dylan Stark rides trails without brakes (;

But yeah, if I rode trails, I'd definitely want a brake becasue that shit's scary lol

But I ride brakeless, I can stop pretty much just as fast as anyone without brakes... and honestly, I don't even think I'll ever run brakes... until maybe I'm like 40 lol

But for the OP, definatly run brakes for a bit, get some bike control, then decide what you want to do...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/21/2018 4:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2018 4:21 PM

Dude I'm not saying it's not possible or that nobody does it but it's scary enough to learn a new line with brakes let alone without. I'm coming up on 10+ years riding and spent maybe 2 year without brakes and I can say without a doubt that my progression took a nosedive overall for that time. It was a good experience tho I just wouldn't do it again now that I have already.
It's also worth noting that because I live in Colorado riding brakeless down some of these streets is brainless not ballsy. They're not hills they mountains. NC wasn't as much a big deal

|

@coupd_tat

4/21/2018 4:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2018 4:43 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Dylan Stark rides trails without brakes (;

But yeah, if I rode trails, I'd definitely want a brake becasue that shit's scary ...more

So you live in the same basic area I do. Which means I have probably seen you at a local park. If you look at my post above, you will see I said in all my years riding I have yet to see anyone without them ride as well as people with. Minus a pro.

And I have to inform you, not to be an ass or anything. But not a chance you stop as fast as a rider at the same level with brakes. Physics plays a role in stopping and that is why brakes have went from side pull (still used on many road bikes) to center pull (Ody Pitbulls for example) and now to center pull that pulls each side not just 1. Because it evens the force and makes the wheel stop I would say 25% or more faster than side pull brakes...disc brakes dont matter in most BMX situatoins because only on very few race bikes have I ever seen them. So, yes while you might stop fast, a guy with good brakes is still easily going to stop in a bad situation faster...like a car coming at you. I cant explain how it works easily, but if you google it you can find out why

|

4/21/2018 4:43 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Dude I'm not saying it's not possible or that nobody does it but it's scary enough to learn a new line with brakes let alone ...more

No dude I'm not doubting or trying to argue with you lol

I was just being a dumbass saying that Dylan rides trails with out a brake lol. It doesn't count either becasue Dylan is far above normal lol he just does shit nobody would even think is possible

But if I rode trails like I said, I'd for sure run a brake... or if I lived around big hills like you, but here where I live it's pretty damn flat lol, a 'hill bomb' for us is just a slight decline laughing so brakes aren't 100% necessary here... so with it being super flat here, I can stop just as fast as anyone with brakes...

But yeah, I'm not trying to argue with you, I was just being a dumbass hahalaughing

|

4/21/2018 4:53 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

So you live in the same basic area I do. Which means I have probably seen you at a local park. If you look at my post above, ...more

It's all good dude, I'm not trying to argue, I was just being a dumbass bring up Dylan hahalaughing

But yeah, you're right, a rider with a brake can stop faster than I can with out brakes, I was just saying that as I can stop pretty fast, not as fast as someone with brakes, but pretty fast lol

But yeah, I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else with brakes, if someone wants to ride brakes that's totally cool! Im not one of those people calling brakes "gay" because I really dig watching people do some big ass fufanus and abubacus with them!

And with cars hitting me, I'm not out there 'mobbing' the streets weaving in and out of cars, and whenever I do criss the street, I'm smart and wait for the crosswalk light to turn green, I don't risk that shit at all, just one stupid move and you're done, so I don't even bother with that shit man... I want to stay riding on my bike til I physically can't, not becasue I do some dumbass move and get plowed by a car...

And yeah, you do live close to me! Where about do you usually go out to ride man?

|

4/21/2018 5:18 PM

BMX brakes aren't for slowing down. They're for tire taps, fufanus and abuacas.

|

4/21/2018 5:32 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

This.

|

4/21/2018 5:35 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

jbales wrote:

This.

This this.

|

4/21/2018 5:38 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

jbales wrote:

This.

GMGuinn wrote:

This this.

This, this; this?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/21/2018 5:48 PM

jbales wrote:

This.

GMGuinn wrote:

This this.

p1p1092 wrote:

This, this; this?

This, This, This, This?

|

4/21/2018 5:53 PM

that._.myles wrote:

Hi, I'm new to BMX and I'm on the hunt for a first BMX bike. On my search so far I've found that bike have brakes and some ...more

Get a bike with brakes at first. It’ll help with confidence and you can do some really fun stalls and tricks with them.

I won’t ride in NYC without them. Too many people not paying attention, random outside interferences etc. However I don’t use them for manuals, I prefer to learn bike control as if I’m brakeless.

I personally also run a gyro because I legit hate having to unwind my bars after a trick.

The thing about getting a brakeless bike as a first bike is you’d have to most likely get a new frame if yours doesn’t come with mounts and you decide to run brakes. On the flip side if you pick up a complete with brakes and don’t use them you can take them off.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/21/2018 7:54 PM

jbales wrote:

This.

GMGuinn wrote:

This this.

p1p1092 wrote:

This, this; this?

Precisely.

|

4/21/2018 8:40 PM

I run brakless because it feels more "pure" and like the look better. Also I was super fed up with the constant adjustment and maintenance the brake on my wheelie bike needed so I said fuck brakes when I got my bmx.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

4/21/2018 10:34 PM

that._.myles wrote:

Hi, I'm new to BMX and I'm on the hunt for a first BMX bike. On my search so far I've found that bike have brakes and some ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Get a bike with brakes at first. It’ll help with confidence and you can do some really fun stalls and tricks with them.

I won ...more

Yeah. I live in a place where I have access to NYC so as I get into BMX I'd like to ride around NYC. I can see where brakes are needed in the city lmao.

|

I like bikes...

4/22/2018 6:06 AM

brakes. front and rear.

|

It’s all bmx

4/22/2018 7:53 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

brakes. front and rear.

^^^This^^^

For a couple reasons... You won't know what you like until you try then. You will really want to be able to stop... Especially in NYC. And, you can setup a bike with front brakes, the old school way (the non-990 way) and if you want to remove the front brake, it is clean, without the mounts. Lastly, you need to really learn bike control. & when you think you have it, learn some more. Then, learn some more. THEN, try no brakes

|

4/22/2018 7:55 AM

Get brakes. When I started I took my brakes off I felt it made my bike cleaner which I still sorta think, bike control came pretty easy it's just when your bombing a hill or in a tricky situation where you need to stop your fucked along with what others have mentioned. That being said I'm actaully planning to get a set of brakes today just because I'm tired of using my foot and drivers in my city are reckless and can't be trusted blink I've almost been smoked before bombing a hill so personally brakes at this point would just make me feel more comfortable on my bike.

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/22/2018 8:03 AM

that._.myles wrote:

Yeah. I live in a place where I have access to NYC so as I get into BMX I'd like to ride around NYC. I can see where brakes ...more

Nice! Well, if you get a bike, I’d be down to ride some day. I’m kind of a beginner too but I do have a few years on a bike under my belt.

Because of that, I tend to know/ride the lower risk spots in the city. I’m not out doing handrails but I love a good wall ride/bank/ledge set up.

Riding this city is something I’ll really miss when I leave. There’s a speed and intensity that you can’t get anywhere else and it forces you to be hyper aware. always a good thing on a bike.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/22/2018 9:13 AM

No brakes

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

4/22/2018 9:20 AM

Get brakes, if you don't jive with them take them off, I've done this twice and currently prefer brakeless. Do this just as everyone else says

/thread

|

4/22/2018 9:36 AM

I'm under the impression that most kids bin their brakes because they don't have the knowledge or patience to make them work properly. It makes me sad. At least half of my love for BMX is the dialing and tinkering and the knowledge of the mechanical side. Maybe more than half, maybe it beats the actual riding. It definitely makes the riding experience better when you have the knowledge of how it all works. It seems less kids are interested in that these days, definitely less than when I started in the early 00's.

|

4/24/2018 1:34 PM

I started riding street brakeless 2 weeks ago, out of necessity laughing still waiting for a package to arrive so I can get my brake back on!

What I learned, starting with the good things:
- It's quite fun having no brakes
- You get used, after a while, on how to brake with your foot on the tyre
- If you are careful you can become more aware and get better reflexes on your bike and also it improves your bike control

But there are also some bad things:
- It makes you go slower in crowded areas
- it ruins your shoe and your tyre
- there will be situations where you can't take your foot off the pedal and jam it in the tyre - in those moments you'll instinctively tap on an inexistent brake lever only to realize that the bike ain't slowing down and you only have a split second to save the whole deal

So, at the end, all my respects to you brakeless street riders out there that can pull this off without endangering anyone, but I'll have the brakes laughing

|

4/24/2018 2:51 PM

jbales wrote:

I'm under the impression that most kids bin their brakes because they don't have the knowledge or patience to make them work ...more

the sadder part is now you can get a kit from odyssey where you literally have to do ZERO maintenence or adjusting. the brakes have one spring so you just bolt them on, and the brake cable has the straddle built in. and they still can't figure it out.

|

It’s all bmx