Brand New Chain Binding

Related:
Create New Tag

11/20/2014 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2014 3:00 PM

So I was pretty exited to get my new chain today in the mail (KMC K710 Kool Chain), since my old chain is really stretched and it was really cheap (5 bucks at Kmart), I put on the new chain, and the first thing that happened was the chain was constantly binding, and this isn't the first time this has happened, About a month ago, I bought the KMC 410H Chain thinking that it was the chain that caused the binding because it was really thick compared to my old one. Then I sold that one ( KMC 410H Chain) to my friend and put the chain on for him and it worked perfectly. So I find the chain that I got the bike with, KMC K710 Kool Chain, so I figured that I would buy that chain again and it shouldn't bind, but it did, I tried having the chain loose and tight but nothing was stomping it from binding. So this is pretty much my last resort before I bring the bike to the bike shop to get this resolved. Side Note - before I put the new chain on, I cleaned my sprocket and cassette to get all of the really old grease off. Thanks in advanced!

~Anthony

|

11/20/2014 5:04 PM

Sprocket/driver teeth are worn down. Theyre adjusted to the stretched chain.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/20/2014 7:15 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Is there any way of telling which one it is?

|

11/20/2014 7:19 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Killerant20 wrote:

Unless youre running a titanium driver, probably the sprocket. But you can tell visually. If the teeth are out of place or out of shape.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/20/2014 7:20 PM

Buy a new sprocket

|

It’s all bmx

11/20/2014 7:27 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Killerant20 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Unless youre running a titanium driver, probably the sprocket. But you can tell visually. If the teeth are out of place or out ...more

Okay, thanks for the help, considering that I can pay for the sprocket and not the cassette is a big plus, thanks again!!!

~Anthony

|

11/21/2014 4:25 PM

Killerant20 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Unless youre running a titanium driver, probably the sprocket. But you can tell visually. If the teeth are out of place or out ...more

Killerant20 wrote:

Okay, thanks for the help, considering that I can pay for the sprocket and not the cassette is a big plus, thanks again!!!

...more

Drivers (depending on the hub) are like 50-70 bucks.

Sprockets are 20-70.

If the teeth resemble a shark fin, they are worn, and it is time to start saving. Your driver/sprocket are worn, and the new chain is not, hence the issues you are facing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/21/2014 6:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Drivers (depending on the hub) are like 50-70 bucks.

Sprockets are 20-70.

If the teeth resemble a shark fin, they are worn, ...more

I just got a new sprocket today, when I took off my old one, the aluminum teeth where all messed up and chewed up, I have no clue on how it had lasted this long, but got a sprocket for about 25 bucks from a local bikeshop, slapped it on and it worked out great, thanks everyone for the help!

|