Brand new bike or used one?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2017 12:23 PM

I don't know what to get between a new one and used one. I think a new one would feel better but an old one has better parts for the specific price range? My budget is around 700$. watchu think?

|

5/16/2017 1:22 PM

Its largely down to what you can afford, me personally used was the only real option if i wanted a decent-ish bike, also as i have said on your other post how would you feel if you lost control of your brand new $700 bike and watched it bounce off something/ground and scratch up its brand new shiny paintjob? due to the nature of these things its hard to keep them in an immaculate condition, so to me buying something cheaper that has some "battle scars" is probably better, you might not be as paranoid to worry about keeping it in an immaculate condition so might actually learn better on a 2nd hand bike due to pushing yourself a bit harder.

Its all personal preference in reality, only you can answer the question really, but if your asking then maybe 2nd hand is what you should be looking at rather than dropping it on a new virgin bike.

|

5/16/2017 1:31 PM

With that budget (Assuming USD?) you have a pretty open market at your disposal.

You could research and find discounted items to build a custom bike for that if color doesn't matter much, or you could get a dialed complete and run it til you need something new.

Either way aim for full chromoly frame fork cranks and bars, double wall rims and sealed bearings.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/16/2017 2:14 PM

Yeah for that price you should get a pretty decent complete. But you might get a even better used one. As to keeping it immaculate... It's a BMX you're supposed to bang it up. If buying used it would be best if you could inspect the bike before buying as someone might try to sell you pretty banged up bike that's barely holding together. So there's pros and cons to both.

|

Rider & A Writer

5/16/2017 8:53 PM

I'd say used. Keep an eye out for people looking to sell stuff asap. My buddy and I went 50/50 on a $1,000 custom that the guy was selling for $225 because he had a ticket to pay. we split the parts evenly, according to value.

So keep an eye out for a nice custom for cheap, post links in this thread and we could help you out (if you need help that is).

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

5/18/2017 9:14 AM

nothing beats a brand new bike

|

It’s all bmx

5/18/2017 9:21 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

All personal opinion, i can have just as much fun on my £40 WTP as i would a $700 custom, spending $700 isn't going to improve my skill any better than the £40 beater i already have, its still just a BMX bike at the end of the day, I'd be looking at picking up project cars or project motorbike at that price...

|

5/18/2017 11:14 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

All personal opinion, i can have just as much fun on my £40 WTP as i would a $700 custom, spending $700 isn't going to improve my skill any better than the £40 beater i already have, its still just a BMX bike at the end of the day, I'd be looking at picking up project cars or project motorbike at that price...

One thing to consider is new means knowing what it has been through, used it could be one 2 foot hop from exploding.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2017 11:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2017 1:00 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

One thing to consider is new means knowing what it has been through, used it could be one 2 foot hop from exploding.

True, but at the price i bought that bike at i could still buy another 15 bikes and still be better off lol, when i was looking there were quite a few bikes that i came across that were from guys with disposable incomes that bought high end bikes thinking they would get back into the sport after years away from it but never actually had the time due to family, work or other commitments and ended up selling on for much less than half price, those are the kind of bikes you should be probably looking at if you have that kind of cash, think of it like buying a brand new car from the dealer and driving it 5 miles and how much depreciation you just lost on it, or buying one that is less than a year old with 5k miles, sure there is a risk, but often its a risk that pays off.

not to mention there is the "manufacturing faults" to think about, so buying new doesn't always mean it wont break, sure i know that the chances of that will be pretty low but its not "impossible" if you get me.

|

5/18/2017 1:21 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

if you could get a brand new bike would you?

|

It’s all bmx

5/18/2017 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2017 2:52 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

if you could get a brand new bike would you?

No, cos i know i can get more for my money going used, i don't have to have to have everything new in my life, pretty much for the exact same reasons i will never buy a brand new car, I have lots of years of being a car and HGV mechanic/jack of all trades behind me when it comes to fixing all manner of things, i suppose its down to what type of person you are, In the past few years there have only ever been a handful of "expensive" things i have bought brand new, PC parts for my high end Gaming PC build being one of them(although i have built countless cheap pc's over the years for me and friends using used stuff as well) and my MIG welder cos most used ones are usually in a pretty rough condition and require more time spent messing about with getting them to feed right than time spent doing actual welding,

could there be a scenario that i buy all my stuff new? sure, a lottery win for instance, but that is fantasy land and not sticking with the reality of my real circumstances

|

5/18/2017 4:58 PM

You could build a decent custom for that price, if you buy things on sale. Maybe a used frame. It's definitely possible.

|