Brand new fat boy wannabe BMXer

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2020 7:49 PM

Hey y’all, I’m new, and rather than derail the other beginner threads I thought I’d make my own. I’d love to get into BMX, having never really done it as a kid, and kinda for the fitness aspect also. The elephant in the room is that I’m 18.5 stone/260lbs. Will I break the bike straight away? It’s been easily a decade since I last rode a bike, so I’m expecting to be wobbly and wreck constantly.

I have no idea what I’m looking for, in terms of size/performance, at the moment it’s just for cruising around, maybe with a bit of tricks thrown in once I lose another 40-50lbs.

It will almost certainly have to be second hand, as I’m not prepared to spend a lot of money on a brand new bike if I don’t get on with the hobby. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

|

2/16/2020 8:07 PM

Welcome aboard yo, 260 ain't nothing..

This dude is way better than I am, and I would love to be as good as he is some day..

|

2/16/2020 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 11:16 PM

It depends on the bike, but with most actual bmx bikes you're definitely not going to break it right away, especially when you're first starting out. That being said, if you go too cheap, you're definitely going to run into problems with your parts after riding for awhile (but that goes for everyone, regardless of weight).

Anyways, welcome to the forum, man. Good luck on finding a deal, if you're patient you can definitely come across some really solid deals. I'd recommend to take some time to learn about what to look for in a solid bike before you make your first purchase.

Another piece of advice, when you first start riding, don't get discouraged. You're gonna suck, and you're gonna suck for a long time. That's how it was for everyone. But things will start to add up, and if you stick to it you'll eventually get a lot better. So just be happy with your progress and have fun.

|

2/16/2020 8:46 PM

Inspiration right there! Cheers for that bro.

|

2/17/2020 6:42 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

This dude is way better than I am, and I would love to be as good as he is some day..

Truth, I’m 260 and I still ride just fine.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/17/2020 8:00 AM

A well built 20" will do you fine! As others have said, you will break things but we all do. Comes with the territory.

|

2/17/2020 9:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2020 9:55 AM

Welcome!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm the exact opposite of you. I'm weak from fighthing lyme disease. In 2014 I was down to 114 pounds. I'm back up to 140 which is what I wrestled in high school. I was 178 pounds at the time I started having health problems.

Anyways... point being, a lot of people have challenges. My session are short from fighting disease. But I'm thanking God that I can do what I can. Cuz for a while I wasn't even doing that.

You get on a bike and stick with it, you probably will lose some weight if you want to. I can tell my muscles are getting tighter again after 10+ years of taking it pretty easy. It's amazing what a few months on a bike has done for my shoulders. I've been riding 2 miles on regular bike every day since may and my legs are so much stronger now.

My advice is the consistency of it. I go every day. I've only missed my 2 mile bike ride like 3-4 times in the last 3/4 of a year. It's a habit now. When it warms up I'll probably start to go a little further. The cold makes the rides a bit harder. Hopefully my freestyle sessions will increase in length too.

As far as what bike, just try to get the best quality that you can afford for now. Lots of great advice on here from people. I just bought a bike last night myself. Your needs will be different than mine and I'm not overly qualified to tell you what to get. I would say for your weight you should stay away from really cheap stuff though. Unless that's all you can afford. I ride cheap bikes for my daily ride but doing tricks with some weight behind them might need some decent quality parts. I was riding a really cheap bike though for bmx too and didn't have any issues. About 2 months. But like I said, I'm only 140 pounds.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/18/2020 8:19 AM

Im 5'10 and currently weigh 238ish. I do flips, flairs and tailwhips. I also run as much titanium on my bike as i possibly can including titanium spokes. i also am on a weight loss journey and was 300lbs in september so i am still losing weight. but your bmx bike will be fine. if i can do all the stuff on a 19lb bike then so can you.

|

2/18/2020 8:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 8:25 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

Im 5'10 and currently weigh 238ish. I do flips, flairs and tailwhips. I also run as much titanium on my bike as i possibly can including titanium spokes. i also am on a weight loss journey and was 300lbs in september so i am still losing weight. but your bmx bike will be fine. if i can do all the stuff on a 19lb bike then so can you.

I saw that flip and I was so freaking impressed. Great job getting there and great job on the weight loss. You da man!!!!

At least I think that was you on that video, eh?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/18/2020 9:18 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

I saw that flip and I was so freaking impressed. Great job getting there and great job on the weight loss. You da man!!!!

At least I think that was you on that video, eh?

lol not sure what video but i go upside down alot lol. But thanks man. bmx is way easier when you lose weight ha

|

2/18/2020 10:55 AM

I think you posted a youtube video in one of the threads..... You were talking about your bike but the first clip was you doing a flip out of a bowl at a park somewhere.

|

2/18/2020 10:59 AM

Micah kranz is a big dude and rips it up on a bike does barspin stuff and flips

|

2/18/2020 11:25 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I think you posted a youtube video in one of the threads..... You were talking about your bike but the first clip was you doing a flip out of a bowl at a park somewhere.

ahh yeah that was me at my local park. Thanks for watching!

|

2/18/2020 1:58 PM

I started a husky (fat) 38 year old a year ago and lost 50 lbs. Keep at it...tricks are much easier to do now with a higher strength:weight ratio. Keep at it.

|

2/19/2020 4:58 AM

I'm 6 feet tall give or take 1/4 inch and at my heaviest, 293 lbs.

If you have decent (not the cheapest stuff) you should be ok. Just upgrade as things break.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/19/2020 6:31 AM

Thanks for the input so far. After discussing this with a friend who works in a bike shop, he thinks a 26” jump bike would be best for me. Any suggestions for brands/bikes to look out for?

|

2/19/2020 6:41 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

He’s that guy from Alfredo mancusos you’ve right

|

2/19/2020 7:11 AM

m0o0oeh wrote:

Thanks for the input so far. After discussing this with a friend who works in a bike shop, he thinks a 26” jump bike would be best for me. Any suggestions for brands/bikes to look out for?

the price point for an entry level 26" is a pretty good 20" how tall are you? What kind of bike shop does he work at? does he deal heavily with bmx or mtn bikes? i find alot of shops will always push a mtb over a bmx bike since they dont ride or have that experience

|

2/19/2020 9:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2020 9:39 AM

Would you be willing to educate me on what a "26" Jump Bike" is... Man I thought I had them all figured out.... There are so many styles now. MTB, hybrids, cruisers, bmx cruisers, trials bikes, road bikes and now jump bikes? I was watching some guys on utube do those like sort of MTB / trials bikes down a grade with ramps and all that. They are really really good. Flipping a bunch and some freestyling type tricks. I wonder if that's what a jump bike is....

|

2/19/2020 10:30 AM

(37 years old, 5'10", 225lbs.)I just bought a YT Dirt Love jump bike (large, maybe I should of bought a regular) and it feels sluggish compared to a bmx. It's kinda twitchy and kinda agile but definitely not a bmx. But I still like how roomy it is and how fast it is. At the end of the day, it's a blast to ride and jump.
I ride my bmx more often since I like to ride street and jump on everything I can bunny hop onto. I love the playfulness of it.
I think you should ride a couple bikes and choose one that will best fit your end goal.
Mtb parts are $$$. Lol. Just upgraded the bars, stem and had to buy pedals... I could of bought a low end complete for that money.

|

2/19/2020 12:59 PM

So I’m 6’0”, and as I said around 250lb based in the UK. He works in a place called Wherlies, which is a fairly well known chain around South Wales. He’s more of an endurance/distance racer, so I’m not taking it as 100 read that it’s what I should go for but I’m just looking for something to have a little fun.

|