Breaking in a new wheel

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2020 11:41 AM

What's up fellas? I bought a Kink Whip XL complete (DW rims and sealed cassette) about a month ago and I've had to tighten the spokes twice now. Almost all of them are loose again now after a session yesterday and I'm wondering if this is normal for a new wheel or if I should upgrade sooner than later. I mainly ride skateparks so no big drops or gaps. Yesterday they loosened on me after trying a few 180 disasters at my local park quarter. Previously they held tight for about two weeks of park riding.

I'm getting back into BMX at the age of 34 and I'm 6' 225lbs. I know how to true a wheel and tighten spokes from my MX/MTB background but I'm just curious how many times I should have to tighten them before they start holding?

I plan to upgrade the wheels eventually but was trying to avoid doing it immediately since I just splurged on a BMX for my little bro to start shredding with me. Just looking for some insight.

|

3/2/2020 11:51 AM

Tighten a little, prestress, tighten a little, prestress, tighten a little, prestress and repeat until the prestress stops loosening them. My preferred method of prestressing is putting a wrench between parallel spokes and levering them against each other a few times. Just be sure to push the outward ones inward and the inward ones outward.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2020 12:16 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Tighten a little, prestress, tighten a little, prestress, tighten a little, prestress and repeat until the prestress stops loosening them. My preferred method of prestressing is putting a wrench between parallel spokes and levering them against each other a few times. Just be sure to push the outward ones inward and the inward ones outward.

Wow that makes perfect sense when it's explained like that. I've been doing the pre-stressing through riding it sounds like..I'll be doing your method after work today. Thanks p1!

|

3/2/2020 12:57 PM

RagingMotoholic wrote:

Wow that makes perfect sense when it's explained like that. I've been doing the pre-stressing through riding it sounds like..I'll be doing your method after work today. Thanks p1!

Just don't go too wild on the tensioning; a lot of people tend to just tighten by the same amount(usually a 1/4 turn) after every prestress and end up overtightening everything, rather than just bringing the wheel back to proper tension.

As the spokes bed in more and more, be careful with how much force you put on the wrench as the spokes won't move as much. If you use too much force towards the end of the process, you can damage the other wheel components.

A little bit of care and attention to detail goes a long way wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2020 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 1:48 PM

I had to do my rear wheel after a week and a half of riding. So I feel your pain. They started to make noise. LOL. It gave me an excuse to true it at the same time too. I haven't noticed it on my front wheel though. But I bought the bike used. It was not rode a lot though.

But you're almost twice my weight so you might have to do it more than me.

Interesting how it's like a guitar string. Every time I put new strings on I'm usually stretching them out a few times before playing and tuning each time, for a week or so. Or at least a few times. Depending on how much I stretch them the first time. Usually if I stretch them a good amount after putting them on the first time I don't have to do it too much after. It Took me years to learn that one. When I first started I'd just tune and play and then get irritated that it went out of tune again.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/2/2020 4:33 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I had to do my rear wheel after a week and a half of riding. So I feel your pain. They started to make noise. LOL. It gave me an excuse to true it at the same time too. I haven't noticed it on my front wheel though. But I bought the bike used. It was not rode a lot though.

Interesting how it's like a guitar string. Every time I put new strings on I'm usually stretching them out a few times before playing and tuning each time, for a week or so. Or at least a few times. Depending on how much I stretch them the first time. Usually if I stretch them a good amount after putting them on the first time I don't have to do it too much after. It Took me years to learn that one. When I first started I'd just tune and play and then get irritated that it went out of tune again.

Gawd, you don't change your strings every week?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/2/2020 5:06 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Gawd, you don't change your strings every week?

Depends on how much he plays...

|

3/2/2020 5:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depends on how much he plays...

Yeah that is true. I guess I don't really change them that often when I'm not playing a ton. Though I generally do atleast once every two weeks unless I haven't played them, but I live in a wet area so strings rust.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

3/2/2020 5:56 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yeah that is true. I guess I don't really change them that often when I'm not playing a ton. Though I generally do atleast once every two weeks unless I haven't played them, but I live in a wet area so strings rust.

I just rotate through different guitars so I don't have to change em as often, bit of a Gibson problem over here. Do you clean your strings after playing? 2 weeks is pretty weak dude.

|

3/3/2020 9:42 AM

No. I haven't change the strings on my Bass since I've got it. I was thinking I should do it soon. I play bass in church and I bought one probably over 3 years ago. LOL.

I rarely change the on my guitars either. I don't play every day anymore like when I was a teenager. But I've had the same set on my acoustic and electric for the last two years. I do want to change them soon though. LOL.

I'm playing guitar the next two Sundays cuz the worship leader is on vacation and I get to be him. LOL. I'm not going to change my strings before that. I'd rather have it in tune than super bright sounding. I play thicker strings on my electric too. I think they last longer and I don't break strings. I use 12's With I think a 52 E.

When I played in rock bands in my twenties I was always breaking 10s too much I got tired of that too. LOL. Especially when playing a show.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/4/2020 2:14 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

No. I haven't change the strings on my Bass since I've got it. I was thinking I should do it soon. I play bass in church and I bought one probably over 3 years ago. LOL.

I rarely change the on my guitars either. I don't play every day anymore like when I was a teenager. But I've had the same set on my acoustic and electric for the last two years. I do want to change them soon though. LOL.

I'm playing guitar the next two Sundays cuz the worship leader is on vacation and I get to be him. LOL. I'm not going to change my strings before that. I'd rather have it in tune than super bright sounding. I play thicker strings on my electric too. I think they last longer and I don't break strings. I use 12's With I think a 52 E.

When I played in rock bands in my twenties I was always breaking 10s too much I got tired of that too. LOL. Especially when playing a show.

NO, DON'T CHANGE THE STRINGS! Bass strings are way different than guitar strings. Bass strings actually sound better overtime, but if you want a crisper sound, you actually should boil them in a pot of water (stupid sounding I know). My father hasn't changed the strings on his ibanez soundgear in 15 years and they sound amazing.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

3/4/2020 9:14 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

NO, DON'T CHANGE THE STRINGS! Bass strings are way different than guitar strings. Bass strings actually sound better overtime, but if you want a crisper sound, you actually should boil them in a pot of water (stupid sounding I know). My father hasn't changed the strings on his ibanez soundgear in 15 years and they sound amazing.

I used to boil my bass strings, it would bring back the brightness, I would usually boil them 3-4 times before replacement.. My fretless I never do anything to them for years, but that's a different sound altogether..

My 1928 National I change em if they break.. My Dobro sounds best with fresh new strings..

Photo

Always best to stretch new strings fully before being able to get it in tune to stay in tune..👍

|

3/6/2020 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2020 9:13 AM

Wow, I've been playing for over 30 years and I didn't know of the boiling trick. LOL. Nice. Back in the day one of the bass players I played with never changed his strings and one of the other guys in the band would give him crap. I never knew what to think. But I was playing guitar mostly then. And my strings got changed regularly. Either cuz I was busting the smaller ones or cuz they got kind of, meh, sounding.

I'll just leave the bass string then. Less to do. LOL. It sounds fine to me too, just wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not. LOL.

|

3/6/2020 9:53 AM

BSG, nice dobro!

Keep it alive while the world going by my window, taking my time, lying there staring at the ceiling, stay in bed float up streeeeeeeeam. Please don't wake me no don't shake me leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping.

Or something like that. LOL. Funny what pictures bring up from the subconscious. That one was buried. My daughter is starting to listen to the Beatles now. She got a turntable for Christmas and we bought her abbey road on vinyl.

|

3/6/2020 10:17 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

BSG, nice dobro!

Keep it alive while the world going by my window, taking my time, lying there staring at the ceiling, stay in bed float up streeeeeeeeam. Please don't wake me no don't shake me leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping.

Or something like that. LOL. Funny what pictures bring up from the subconscious. That one was buried. My daughter is starting to listen to the Beatles now. She got a turntable for Christmas and we bought her abbey road on vinyl.

Thanks man!

|