Broke Spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2020 8:03 PM

I feel that every session I break spokes and am always resisting tricks that I know I'll land sideways.. My tires millimeters from rubbing on my forks and frames, so I'm trying to always have those wheels trued. So, my wheels are a year old, including the spokes, are they all failing because they are old? Also, one of the local pros says he doesn't even replace spokes when they break, he just keep truing the wheel until the wheel just completely collapses and then he replaces all the spokes.. This is my predicament.. my wheels need to be dead center trued 24/7 but also my old spokes are always snapping every session.. they are not too tight ps.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/13/2020 9:42 PM

This is my wheel after tonight’s session of my bailing in the middle of a double backflip. What wheel setup do you have. I used to run the total tech wheels and I snapped spokes all the time at the nipple. It has a weird angle and put lots of stress on the nipple

Photo

|

6/14/2020 10:07 AM

Do you mean breaking at the heads? That's where all mine break, like your photo. I run a Cinema 888. What do you do for all of these spokes? Just take it to a shop and they set it all up for you? How much would it cost for a whole wheel to be setup by a shop anyways? I do everything myself, but I'm getting tired of constantly fixing my wheels often.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/14/2020 10:19 AM

No I meant at the nipple. An old wheel I used to run would always snap them there. This wheel I destroyed last night ended up not being fixable. But I always build my wheels. Do you ride pegs without hubgaurds? I rarely have to maintenance my wheels and they hold up great to some pretty heavy things.

|

6/14/2020 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2020 10:32 AM

4 pegs with 4 guards.. I do a lot of rough grinding that still damage and bend the spokes right below the middle, but that's not where they break.. they break at the hub, so I'm just thinking is it worth to just replace all the spokes with new ones?

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/15/2020 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2020 4:53 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

4 pegs with 4 guards.. I do a lot of rough grinding that still damage and bend the spokes right below the middle, but that's not where they break.. they break at the hub, so I'm just thinking is it worth to just replace all the spokes with new ones?

If your rim and hub are fine, this is an easy option to get some additional life out of them. If you can, get spokes and get them on the wheel yourself, and have the shop true the wheels (or learn how yourself).

A wheel truing is usually 10-20 bucks in a shop VS 40+ for a wheel lacing. You would have spoke cost on top of that and many shops charge a buck a spoke or more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/15/2020 8:40 AM

Yup, I'm alright when it comes to truing, I was just asking what's the best way to preserve a wheel's true and life when you start breaking spokes

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/16/2020 8:40 AM

Replace spokes asap when they break and make sure they are the right length. If they are too short they will break again. If you break more than three spokes at once, probably best to rebuild the whole wheel with fresh spokes,

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling