Broken Bearing or Not Broken In?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2018 7:05 PM

So my cranks seem kinda rough in one spot, so I greased them and checked out the bearings. One side seems to spin smoother than the other side. The bike has barely been rode since I assembled it last week. What is the likely hood of a sealed bearing being sent broken vs it just isn't broken in yet?

|

8/14/2018 7:19 PM

Pedal faster

|

8/14/2018 7:26 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Pedal faster

To much effort I'd rather pump.

|

8/15/2018 11:18 AM

All your problems seem like they wouldn't exist if you got a professional to assemble your bike. At least then you'd have a warranty and someone to blame.

|

8/15/2018 12:55 PM

Over the next couple of months, you'll have quite a few teething issues with the bike. It's perfectly normal. It's why bike shops offer a free 6 week service. It allows everything to bed in and for any issues to be made apparent. You're probably going to experience quite a few things coming loose, cables stretching, spokes stretching and coming loose etc.

|

8/15/2018 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 12:58 PM

Stuff breaks all the time even on full custom bikes, but once you have it setup just right you will know
Also a bearing shouldn't break in, it's a very precisely made thing.

|

Hmmm

8/16/2018 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2018 7:30 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Over the next couple of months, you'll have quite a few teething issues with the bike. It's perfectly normal. It's why bike ...more

I didn't assembly the cranks though and one of the bearings seems to be not spinning smoothly which is annoying, but I can just swap a bearing over from another bike I have. I'm just making sure that its normal because this bike is being a real pain in the ass.

I'm relatively mechanically inclined on bikes thats why its so strange to me all these random issues are occuring on a brand new bike.

|

8/16/2018 7:49 PM

Take the beating apart , pack it with grease , put it back together , pretty simple stuff

|

8/16/2018 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2018 8:19 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Take the beating apart , pack it with grease , put it back together , pretty simple stuff

Just did that with the bottom bracket, forks and headset. Which is why I was unsure if the bearing just needed to be broken in or if it is messed up.

|

8/16/2018 8:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Over the next couple of months, you'll have quite a few teething issues with the bike. It's perfectly normal. It's why bike ...more

King_Maker wrote:

I didn't assembly the cranks though and one of the bearings seems to be not spinning smoothly which is annoying, but I can ...more

When the bike is assembled in factory, before it's boxed, it's literally thrown together. Everything needs to be checked. Your bb is probably fine and just needs bedding in.

|